Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-15-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
So, let's hear some stories about little things that saved your boating day. (or little things that RUINED your day because you didn't have it)

I got a new Tsunami pump for this season and I wired it up to some plugs that connect to my batteries. Like this:

One of the leads had an inline fuse and I think I popped it. So not having another fuse could have totally ruined my day.

Also, I had used crimp butt connectors to connect the wires from the plug to the wires from the Tsunami pump. My conections failed and the wire pulled out from both of the butt connectors. I had a little bag of odds and ends and happened to have a pair of wire nuts in there and was able to keep using my ballast pump.

So little things saved the day.

Let's hear some items/stories along these lines...
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-15-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have always carried jumper cables on the boat. I have used them more than once for other people and myself. Also carry one of those 100 piece tool sets, all the sockets and wrenches and bit tips you should need.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
I once found a $20 someone left me in the glovebox for gas that I didn't know was there.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-15-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
Duct tape, zip ties & extra fuses.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
Jumper Box!

This thing has been a life saver (not for me) but indirectly it saves me. When you come across a person that needs a jump you don't have to offer up risking dammage to your boat you can simpley hand them the Jumper box and pull away while they rescue them selfs.
Attached Images

Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-15-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
Duct tape has saved the day a few times but spare impellers have to go to the top. Also a good sharp knife and goggles.
Old     (Swede)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-15-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
Impeller.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2014, 12:05 PM Reply   
Spare 90amp fuse, spare impeller, spare key, spare plug, spare idler pulley, lots of wire connectors and wire, and lots of other odds and ends, I also carry a toolbox
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2014, 12:22 PM Reply   
Without a doubt the best $120 a year you can spend when you boat in coastal FL. This and a spare prop has saved numerous weekends, not mention my wallet. No card? "yer screwed"
Attached Images

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-15-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
Similar to above. I started carrying a spare aerator pump with the male spade terminals already on it. I am slowly converting all my connections on the boat side to have the female terminals. I can just swap out the cartridge and plug in the new wires and I'm all set.

Spare towel and boardies in a bag is never a bad idea. I've been in a rush to ride after work and forgot them before.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-15-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
I've also seen plenty of people snap the winch strap when loading there boat. I had a spare one in my last rig.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-15-2014, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
Duct tape has saved the day a few times but spare impellers have to go to the top. Also a good sharp knife and goggles.
Oh snap. I typically have my scuba goggles and a floating knife in my boat. I don't remember putting those back in after de-winterizing. I'll have to check on those.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-15-2014, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Spare 90amp fuse, spare impeller, spare key, spare plug, spare idler pulley, lots of wire connectors and wire, and lots of other odds and ends, I also carry a toolbox
Is the 90 amp fuse the one that runs the distribution block for your boat stereo system??? Because if so, you NEED to have a backup! No tunes would be TRAGIC!!!!!!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-15-2014, 3:03 PM Reply   
snorkel set & dive knife 100% must have.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-15-2014, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Jumper Box!

This thing has been a life saver (not for me) but indirectly it saves me. When you come across a person that needs a jump you don't have to offer up risking dammage to your boat you can simpley hand them the Jumper box and pull away while they rescue them selfs.

LOL. Going to great lengths to be a good samariton without having people mess up your sh**.
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-15-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
One of the first things I check off is the medical kit. Tape, gauze, bandages, instant cold compress have all been key items to have on hand.

Zip ties have saved me on multiple occasions including fixing my perfect pass one morning. Extra tsunamis are nice in case of a failed exit pump or unexpected leak. Electrical tape has fixed a couple quick splices as well as the handy roll of duct tape. Don't underestimate glow lights in case some of your on-board lights fail at night and they also work well with the snorkel/mask combo for late night rope tangles.

Also if you are on the Great Lakes (Superior for me) don't forget you need a flare gun. I took my 22ssv out to Devils Island and the drive out there was fantastic at around 45 min however the return trip took over 3 hours. The seas can get big fast so don't underestimate your body of water.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-15-2014, 10:49 PM Reply   
My glove box is a modge podge of everything.
In my rear locker I have a 100 socket set.
Always have a few key sizes of gear wrenches. Impeller and jumper cables. Allen wrenches for the tower speakers.
Wire, heat shrink, soldering iron for my LEDs (you never know)
Pliers, needle nose, fuses, lots of zip ties. An extra plug.
Basically anything I need to remove or swap a part, fix my stereo or LEDs or anything else minor that I can handle.
Luckily I haven't had to use any of it yet! Lol
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 10:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
I've also seen plenty of people snap the winch strap when loading there boat. I had a spare one in my last rig.
That's a good one. Easy/smart thing to keep in the truck.

A spare bolt or two for a trailer bunk can come in handy as well. I once gave a buddy my shoelaces to tie his bunks back on. Ahhh the good 'ol days of being stupid kids.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-16-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
one time I didn't have a knife on the boat and my wife got our rope tangled in the prop, me and a navy diver buddy of mine kept going under but it was too tight, we couldn't free it. we flagged down multiple fisherman and they miraculously had no knives. I don't really believe them, I think they wouldn't help cuz they don't appreciate wake boats in their fishing areas. anyway current is taking me towards a real sketchy shoreline me and wife and crew keep swimming it away from and then a bayliner is heading by with a big rainbow flag flying.... low and behold we flag them down and they swing over and are several middle aged lesbians cruising around and end up having a knife and let us use it to cut ourselves free. I was very appreciative and surprised at who showed up to help,,,,, definitely wasn't expecting that
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-16-2014, 9:59 PM Reply   
I 100% agree on the jumper box. Thing has saved us on numerous occasions. Also, we keep a paddle in the boat just in case. Boards work the same but are a little more work. Spare fuses, pliers, screwrivers and alan wrenches are all the tools we really keep in the boat. I'm with ya on the zip ties, one of the best quick-fixes on the planet.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-16-2014, 11:31 PM Reply   
Toilet paper!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-18-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say anything in particular, but the ability to think outside the box is something that can make the difference between being SOL or not.

This one time out years and years ago, we had the serpentine belt break on us out on the water. This quickly meant no power to the alternator and we'd have to try to limp ourselves back hopefully before power ran out, and with how far out we were, we knew that wasn't going to happen. We obviously didn't have another belt on hand, but what we did have was one of the girls' bra that happened to come out with us for the day. She donated it for the cause and we cut it up so only the thin elastic strip remained. We then were able to use that to to wrap around the pulleys and get us home.

A good knife and/or multi tool is never out of place anywhere though. Good to have and will save tons of headache. Zip ties and electrical tape can be worth their weight in gold in many circumstances.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-19-2014, 5:45 AM Reply   
Keep a spare truck key IN THE BOAT.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-19-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
not sure if many think about it but if you have wheel locks on your boat trailer make sure u keep the key secure n the boat somewhere and never leave it at home. also a good multi tool kit and adjustable wrench is a must. I keep a dry box waterproof in glovebox for electronics, phones, and jewelry people forget to take off and our state requires it but some may not, make sure u have a horn of flair, a paddle and a first aid kit. the nicer the first aid kit the better cuz u never know what could happen.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
A few things I keep (some have already been said).

Goggles and knife with wrist lanyard so it cannot be dropped.
OIL OIL OIL!!! Ever since I lost out on an evening butter session due to low oil I keep it on the boat, double bagged in a heavy duty plastic ziplocs.
Impeller and serpentine belt in case it eats one.
Tools (obviously) and jumper cables.
A good medical kit with a snakebite kit and good medic shears for cutting people out of bindings.
A good plug in high candlepower spot light
An extra pump to help with potential sinking (this saved my boat once!)
An extra pump line (no pump) for emptying sacs if I lost all power (you can siphon the sacks...slow but works).
Fuses
Sunglasses (Boat glasses, not expensive but quite handy)
Zip ties and duct tape
A large bottle of aspirin has been on my boat and utilized constantly.
Spare plug
Spare binding hardware in case a bolt is lost
Towing carabiners so I can tow from the D- cleats vs. pylon
Trailer - I keep some blocks of wood in the bed of the truck in case I trash a wheel bearing and lose a wheel. You can jack up the tandem trailers to ride on three wheels by stuffing a block between the leaf springs.

There is probably more in the boat...but those are the basics.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-19-2014, 12:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
I wouldn't say anything in particular, but the ability to think outside the box is something that can make the difference between being SOL or not.

This one time out years and years ago, we had the serpentine belt break on us out on the water. This quickly meant no power to the alternator and we'd have to try to limp ourselves back hopefully before power ran out, and with how far out we were, we knew that wasn't going to happen. We obviously didn't have another belt on hand, but what we did have was one of the girls' bra that happened to come out with us for the day. She donated it for the cause and we cut it up so only the thin elastic strip remained. We then were able to use that to to wrap around the pulleys and get us home.

A good knife and/or multi tool is never out of place anywhere though. Good to have and will save tons of headache. Zip ties and electrical tape can be worth their weight in gold in many circumstances.
Based on that story, maybe we should require surrender of all bras and bikini tops when boarding the boat?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-19-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
Spare prop and spare impeller. Either can ruin your weekend. It's just as important as a spare tire on a car. I also carry a spare drain plug in my boats.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-20-2014, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post

i can't believe that actually worked
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-20-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
Trayson, the 90 amp fuse is the main fuse that is by the starter, If that blows you will have nothing!! Including no stereo!! It protects the entire wiring harness
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-20-2014, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
Trayson, the 90 amp fuse is the main fuse that is by the starter, If that blows you will have nothing!! Including no stereo!! It protects the entire wiring harness
I've replaced my starter before. Not sure if I have a fuse there...

Maybe they weren't doing those wayyyy back in '92