Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       04-11-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
We have a Crownline and would like to add a swim platform to the back because like most I/O there is not much of a platform back there to work with.

After contacting the dealer there is no way I can afford a fiberglass platform through them, they want over $1000 which I think is ridiculous for a piece of fiberglass.

My dad and I are both pretty good handy men and have made many things out of wood. I was considering making my own platform. Has any one tried this, any suggestions of there to start? Where could I get the brackets to support the platform?
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       04-11-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
make sure you use stainless and teak
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-12-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Have you checked the after market places?
I have no idea how the prices are, but a quick
google shows:

www.swimplatforms.com
www.swim-platform.com

Sample on a Crownline:

http://swimplatforms.contentpros.net/PlatformSelection/BoatMakeandModel/Crownline/Crownline192BowRider/tabid/2612/Default.aspx

I have a buddy that made his own - but he has a tubing bender. He made the actual platform out of Trex (deck material).
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have been thinking about making my own swim platform to replace the teak on my Malibu. I considered using Trex but have you weighed one of their boards? I estimated a 2"x64"x24" Trex swim deck at almost 200 lbs!

There is a thread here on WW where a guy made one out of CDX plywood with 2x6s underneath for reinforcement (similar design as our stock teak swim platforms). It came out nice but I think I could simplify it & make it better. I was thinking of using 2 layers of 1" - 3/4" marine ply ($85 for a 4'x8'x1" sheet), cut to shape, then have it Line-xed (smooth with no grit), and a Trax/Gator Grip top deck. The Line-X can be color matched for your boat, and the Trax pad comes in a variety of color to compliment the package. Total cost would be well under $300.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-12-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Bill,

That's almost EXACTLY what Paul started with -
then he went to the trex, spaced about half an
inch apart.

It all de-laminated (the plywood one), even with the Rhino on it
after about 2 seasons.

Was great while it was new ...

Todd

PS (where on earth would you get the Trax? ;o) )

PPS (you thinking about going to Powell with us
THIS Sept?)

(Message edited by tgoin on April 12, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Hehe, Powell is on my short list of places to go ride. Keep us in the loop on the plans. If things work out for us, we'll be there.

So do you know if Paul used marine plywood or CDX on his platform? Maybe a layer of fiberglass cloth & resin over the plywood would be in order to seal up the whole thing?

With the Trex version spaced out 1/2", how heavy did it turn out? Any pics of that one available?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-12-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
I have looked into swimplatforms.com, and the quoted price for my Bayliner IO was $1150 USD, with quite the shipping price. I like the idea of the wood platform. Please post any progress you make, or any pictures of actual construction, because I am also looking into this.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/637260.html?1239512531
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-12-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
I made a really sweet looking one for 100 on my old boat. It was really simple.

I just bought some pedra decking wood. Cut them to the proper lengths that I wanted, and cut the last board to match the shape of my transom. Then I Screwed all the boards together like you would a deck with a small gap in between, and I used two pieces of pedra decking underneith to hold it all together and to hold the aluminum brackets.

I drilled holes and used oak plugs to cover scew holes, and used gorilla waterproof glue to hold the plugs in. Then after it was all done i used a hand held jig saw and cut the platform to the desired shape, tapper edges etc. Lastly I used a sander to round all the edges nicely and the I stained it. It was very beautiful, held up for 2 years in salt water as well, and never hand a problem.

Just a suggestion.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
Check crowniehq.net out. They are a crownline website and swimplatforms.com just sponsored them. I bought one from them a couple years ago for my crownline. They usually do a discount of somekind or free shipping.
Old     (k2rider2690)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-15-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
my friend and i made one out of the trex materail and it holds up great...no maintence and no mildue build up or the green allgy
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       04-15-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Mike where did you get the brackets to hold the platform up.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-15-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Hey Mike,
Any chance you can post up a couple of pics of the Trex swim platform?

In a boat like Malibu's, I'm pretty conscientious about any replacement swim platform looking as good or better than stock. It seems like any material with a smooth Line-x finish & Gator Grip swim pad would fit the bill. But finding the right core material has proven to be kind of a bi+ch. And when I had thought of using a Trex-like plastic lumber in the past, it seemed like a 2" thick x 64" wide x 24" deep swim platform would be like 200 lbs. Granted the weight would be great. But would the platform brackets handle that?!

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on April 15, 2009)