Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-28-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
Francisca and I are goin' to South Dakota in May for a. for her sister's graduation, and b. to drive her car home to CA. We should be on the road on the 24th, and plan on being in CO on Tuesday, the 25th. I know people work and all, but we're hoping to get a pull in that day. I'll have my video cam, too, to capture some CO riding.

Anyone down for that? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Joe, What time on Tuesday? Mornings are tough due to work, but I can work from the boat easily in the afternoon. If needed I can just work from the boat when you are available to ride. Will make it work one way or another. Would love to meet you guys in person.

(Message edited by colorider on April 28, 2004)
Old    swass            04-28-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
"...but I can work from the boat..." Yes - he sucks.

May 25th? I'll schedule that day off and hook ya up! I'll add it to my calendar now. Let me know if your plans change, though. Don't worry about Andy - when we call from the water to say, "dude - it's butter," he'll show up.

What's going on in SD? A trip through the Black Hills is worth the time, if you can spare it. Mt. Rushmore is worth visiting at least once in a lifetime.

I sent you a PM. (I bet Andy did too.)

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
No PM from me. Just the post. If chris takes the day off you are set! I will just meet you whenever I can. Being that I am only a minute from the lake, an mostly work from home it is not a problem to do. Sorry, had to rub that in to swass
Old    swass            04-28-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
Oh, you did not! Now bite me!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-28-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
Sweet, it's on!

Where would we be going? Can you give me the city/zip code so I can Mapquest it to make sure we get there on time?

What's average May temps (air & water)? Do I need to bring a wetsuit?

Hey Andrew, maybe you can give me your camera housing while I'm there. hahahaha!!! Just kidding, man!

(Message edited by dakid on April 28, 2004)
Old    swass            04-28-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
Don't ask so many !&!(@ questions!

We'll be going to Standley Lake in Westminster, CO. I have no idea what the zip code is. Andy?

Depending on when you'll be here, I'll either bring the boat to work with me and leave early, or I'll take the whole day - you tell me. Are you staying over night?

Spring temps are pretty unpredictable; it could be 60, or it could be 80. The water will still be in the high 50s, though. MAYBE in the low 60s. We're in trunks and a rash guard by then, but you might wanna pack the neoprene.

Gimme a call and we'll chat: (303)475-0628.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2004, 2:08 PM Reply   
zip code is 80021. It is on the north near Boulder. Water is going to be really chilly from what you are used to I am sure. The camera housing will make a trip out if I can get it put back together from the fall cleaning job. If not, I just got a killer housing for my new canon digital camera. Did not make this one, had to buy it retail. Went against everything I stand for, but it is hella cool and is rated for 140 ft so I can take it scuba diving. Can't wait to see you guys
Old    swass            04-28-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
Retail? RETAIL???? OK - who are you and what have you done with Andy?????

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
I know I know. If it makes you feel any better, I did get it off ebay for 40 bucks less then at the local store. Point is that I did not attempt to make out of scrap plastic and parts. I did however pay full retail for a Dyson vacuum on sunday. Could not find on for less money anywhere! But I countered that by getting cool lounge chairs (like Bobo's) half off at American Furniture. All is ballanced.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-29-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
Umali,

In your case, you better bring a dry suit, and wear a ski jacket under it.

I'll bet it's beautiful this time of year. I'm jealous.
Old    swass            04-29-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
Whew! eBay - that's more like it.

Snow is in the forecast for today and tomorrow.
Old    leggester            04-29-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
If Standley, god forbid, isn't open on that day, I can take the day off also and we can do Chatfield or maybe Jackson.

Watger temps should be in the 60s by then :-)
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-29-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
finally some denver talk. i was fortinuate to get by boat back and rode last sunday. any body else rode yet? let me know if you guys need or would like another. also is something falls through let me know Timnath on tuesday!! only boat without a doubt
Old    swass            04-30-2004, 5:40 AM Reply   
Any time you'd like to join us, just let one of us know.

Where is Timnath?

(Message edited by swass on April 30, 2004)
Old    leggester            04-30-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
The Town of Timnath is located just east of Fort Collins, approximately 1/4 mile east of Interstate 25. The current population is 233.

Timnath was given its name by Reverend Charles Taylor, the first permanent minister of the Presbyterian Church (the first and only church in town). Rumor has it that he closed his eyes and pointed to a place on the page of his bible (apparently open to the 14th chapter of Judges). He pointed to a verse that began "and Samson went down to Timnath..." and since that time, the town has been known as Timnath.

We welcome you to our official government web site and encourage you to come back regularly. This site is maintained by volunteer effort and will change as often as possible. We update the minutes and agenda as quickly as they are available in final format. You can also find the agenda for any meeting posted at the local post office and on the front window of town hall.

If you'd like to send comments or questions to the town, please e-mail us. Please note that, as a government entity, any information you send to us becomes a matter of public record.

http://www.timnathcolorado.org/
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-30-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Are any of you guys going to make any trips down to Pueblo this summer?

I'm there almost every sunday.
Old    swass            04-30-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'm good for a few trips each season. We usually make a late April/early May trip, so I'll let you know.
Old     (wakewilly)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-30-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
I'm a student at CU and an avid rider from Cali. I'm just finishing up my second year in mechanical engineering and business. I'm trying to get a CU Ski/Wakeboard team started this upcomming fall. I'm going to be submitting a budget this summer along with abunch of information on where we would be practicing etc. Do any of you guys know of where the team could get a boat cheap? Also, do any of you guys know where a good place to practice would be? I know that Standley is private, but who is the membership available to? This would obviously be just one boat so we wouldn't have a million college students on your lake. Are there any other lakes to ride on around here? What are the launching fees? Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully we can get a team together and start some collegiate competitions around here for you guys to watch. If any of you are ever looking for a third, I'm always down to ride especially since my boats back in CA and I don't have any connections to a boat out here.
Thanks for any input,
Chris
Old    leggester            04-30-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
Sundays are usually out, but we'll do a few camp trips there this year.

Chris, I'm WAY south of the rest of the group. Heck, even Chatfield is north of me :-)
Old    swass            04-30-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
First, I'd try Boulder Res...just from a convenience standpoint. Then, I guess I'd recommend Horsetooth in Ft. Collins.

The majority of Standley Lake memberships are reserved for residents of Westminster, with a few available to residents of Northglenn and Thornton. If you can't prove residency - no soap.

As for boats, try boat trader magazine. Or the Denver Post.

Old    swass            05-04-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
Andy said the water temp was 48 degrees yesterday, Joe.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-04-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
WHAT THE F----------??????
Old    swass            05-04-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
Once everything goes numb, you'll get used to it.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2004, 6:03 AM Reply   
Umali in 48 degree water!
Old    leggester            05-05-2004, 6:53 AM Reply   
We're hitting Chatfield Fri&Sat - water temp's 58.

Joe, you find a cheap dry suit? :-)
Old    swass            05-05-2004, 6:55 AM Reply   
You have to check the temp in water that's deeper than 6 inches.
Old    leggester            05-05-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
I'll let you know... either way, it's all good.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
You're right Cliff...I'm nowhere near as HARDCORE as the guys who call themselves the NORTHWEST HARDCORE.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
My perfect pass guage was reading temps of 57 or so depending on where we were on the lake. By late may a shorty wetsuit will be fine.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Finally!!!

I poked you with that stick enough times. Your getting to thick skinned.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
Haha! Maybe livin' in Seattle did it!
Old    w8kbum            05-05-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hey Umali e-mail at steverobinson@ya****leins.com
Old    leggester            05-10-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
water temp in Chatfield was 54 degrees at 4' down.

98.6 at 2' down :-)
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
come on guys the water is over 60 up north. saturday about 61 and monday about 63. both temps were around 10'.
Old    leggester            05-12-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
Hehehe, define "north".

I under stand Jackson is pretty good right now. Maybe Barr ponds too.

I was at Chatfield though and it gets the mountain runoff.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-12-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
standley is in the 60s. They stopped filling it pretty much mid feb. No cold runoff filling it.We are trunkin it or wearing shorties
Old     (denwakebdr)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
anyone know the water temp in wyoming...was at chatfield last sat. and the temp was still alittle chilly.....1st day out and broke my foot...will be out for at least 2 mo.'s
Old    leggester            05-17-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
Usually Glendo and Guernsey are a bit warmer than the Denver Lakes. This is due to the Platte having a longer run away fro mthe mountains.

Couldn't find a web site with conditions though.
Old    swass            05-18-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
Are we still on for next week, Joe? Any idea what time you'll be rollin' in?

(Message edited by swass on May 18, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-18-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
We've had a change in plans...just confirmed new plans over the weekend. We'll talk later.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-18-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
A bunch of us took off work the day you were supposed to be here. We will miss ya as we will be the only boat on the lake that day. Nottin but butta!!!!!!!!!
Old    franke            05-18-2004, 11:02 PM Reply   
i'm sorry that joe and i can't make it! plans changed. i am no longer getting a car, so we are no longer road-tripping. we were so looking forward to riding and meeting you all. believe me, joe's disappointed.

thanks any way, swass!
take care.
frankie

(Message edited by franke on May 18, 2004)

(Message edited by franke on May 18, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-18-2004, 11:34 PM Reply   
Hey, thank Andrew, too!!!

I guess "no show Joe" is at it again!

Sorry guys. I really was looking forward to not only the road trip, but to riding with you guys as well. It would've made for a cool little write-up..."Swass & jumalian in the same boat???"
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-19-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
No worries!! We shall meet up some other time. At any rate we will be riding instead of working. That is always a good thing. Without your visit plans, we would be stuck at work. So thank you for the inspiration
Old    swass            05-19-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
Sorry you can't make it, Joe (and Frankie).
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
Joe almost wakeboarded with Swass, and he has been hitting me up for pulls lately. I'm stoked to do it, but a little worried that both of us together in the same boat might lead to a collapse of the space-time continuum.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-19-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Nah, it'd be great, 'cause you'd talk about GRAMPS, and I'd talk about masterpainter, etc., etc.