Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       05-16-2005, 11:20 PM Reply   
Some random thoughts, may make for a good thread..or not..

So..I've been on boats and around watersports all my life have never seen more fads, styles, gadgets etc. in any other watersport than wakeboarding. I buy into very few things just because they're trendy or stylish at the time. Now granted, I try not to look like a total tool, but I have to be convinced of the purpose of a new gadget, fad etc, before I buy it/do it.

For example, up until 3 or so years ago, I still wore gloves when using the old rubber tractor grip handles because it just killed my hands... and shredded hands = less riding time....in my book, stupid to go without gloves simply for style. Then I discovered the foam grip handle, tossed the gloves and never looked back...converted.

So what gadgets, trends, fads etc have you been converted on...or....would never be caught dead doing/owning?

Tower lights, board pants (haha), rash guards, grabs, etc.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-17-2005, 12:01 AM Reply   
I just never caught onto the wakeboard pants thing. It wasn't around long but it was around long enough for jet pilot to make them. Shane Bonifay popularized them.
I nominate them as stupidest idea ever!
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-17-2005, 12:34 AM Reply   
I still wear gloves with a foam handle from time to time, but the water here is chilly until mid-June, and gloves really help with that.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
When the neoprene vests first started gaining popularity I thought they were a complete waste of money...then I rode with one. Now I will never go back to nylon.

Jb
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-17-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
People who ride with trucker caps slightly tilted is just stupid looking. Regular caps backwards are ok I guess.

Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
The big truck spoiler thing that you are supposed to put on the tower for downforce. Not really a fad because I am sure it never caught on, but funny nonetheless.
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
Grabs - Initially thought, it was the epitome of stupid to grab a board that was strapped to your feet. It was almost like people were trying way to hard to pretend it was skateboarding. Eventually I saw an explanation that its a way to demonstrate board control and its just something else to do on the tricks you already have down. Sounds logical. I'm in.

Aging myself here from back in '97...sandels to boots.....one trip to the er with 6 stitches in the head from a loose board and the boots were on order the next day

Inboard wakeboard boat - easy call, didn't own a boat at the time but had plenty of experience with IO's and outboards to know it wouldn't turn me into Murray, but would sure make life more enjoyable.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-17-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
I think the "no gloves" thing is pretty stupid. I don't wear them, but If I didn't wakeboard that much, I probably would. If you don't get that much time behind the boat and you don't have callouses on your hands, gloves are a good idea and will allow you to take a few more sets.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-17-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Been discussed before, but boardshorts over wetsuits. Kinda dumb, but I still do it. Do get grief from a lot of my friends, though.

Also, riding without a vest. Did that for years. Ever since Corey Kraut died, its USCGA all the way for me. Have to say that it was pretty fun to not have the restriction of a vest...I often rode pretty well that way.

That skireel thing that rolls up the rope seems somewhat gimmicky. At least for $500. That being said, it would be nice to be able to go an extra 3' in or out as you're riding.

Some of the good creations: multi-fin boards, molded in fins, non-stretch lines, wide handles, foam handles, ballast tanks, towers, bigger boats, move to V-drives, lace up bindings, more cushion in bindings.

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-17-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
zippers........
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-17-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
wakeboarders flashing gang signs
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-17-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
Drysuits. Always thought they were way over rated and a waste of money. Now that I own one I ride all year long!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
"shorts over wetsuit" is not a fad!
Old    wickedwake            05-17-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
"'shorts over wetsuit' is not a fad!"

It is a MUST!!!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-17-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
"Shorts over wetsuit" may not be a fad, but it is both a trend and, to some, simply stupid. It is most definitely something that wakeboarders can take credit (or to some, be made to answer) for popularizing.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-17-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
Silent Velcro.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-17-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
I'd never get a carbon handle, they brake, and chip boards and boats also hard if you happen hit yourself too.
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-17-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
Thomas, I can't picture what your talking about... Mind posting a pic, if you can find one?
Old    trickskisrock            05-17-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
Jerseys over your life vest. Even Hyperlite is now making a HL jersey. Why be ashamed of wearing a vest?

#1 fad that everyone should be using: Perfext Pass. Greatest boon to watersports in the past 20 years. Towers were another one that I always thought were pretty stupid when they first came out. Your first ride with an elevated line you realize how nice towers/pylons are. You're first time driving a tower vs. a pylon you realize how nice the tower is.
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
- Binding lube - Always used soap or whatever, and I tend to keep my old equipment for a long time for guests to use. My several year old binding just ripped right in half...dried out by soap? Who knows, but I switched anyway just in case.

- Really wide handles are great, I can't even stand my old wakeboard handles, definitely makes a diff.

- I'm kinda split on tower lights, but would love to have some pointed down to light up the interior for cleanup after a late evening run. In fact the more lights in my interior and compartments the better.

- Board racks...got'em and love'em but think the retail prices are way out of whack for what they do.

- I'm almost sold on rashguards for some uv protection but figure my riding ability doesn't live up to both a wakeboard boat and a
rashguard.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-17-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
I had forgotten about the wake wing till someone mentioned it. That's some hot stuff right there.

Old    walt            05-17-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
The Byerly boards with the cut outs.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-17-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
NVS's
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-17-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
"Twin tip boards, how crazy is that. Why would anyone ever want to ride switch?"
That was my quote in 1995.
And I was definately in agreement that grabs were only for skateboards.
Thats why I am not in marketing.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-17-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
Adding lead or water to the boat. Nuff said
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-17-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
Shorts over wetsuits is definately a must, as discussed earlier, because if you ride in just a wetsuit without shorts, you have a gigantic (or tiny depending on water temp) perfect bulging outline of your junk.
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-18-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
i would kinda like to know what is up with all the shaggy freakin fro looking mullets people are sporting now. i don't get it...i like to be able to see when i ride, dont' want girl length hair in my face. but i am sure its a fad, and not that i am old, but i don't understand it.

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-18-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
I like Perfect Pass, but anyone who pulls a rider ought to learn to pull without PP. It will make you better.

Used to always, but now only occasionally rock the MX jersey over the vest. Not cause I'm ashamed of the vest, just the truck driver tan on the arms .

As far as the stupidest thing I ever saw was in a hydrofoiling magazine (flight world?) a rider was showing how he bolted a toilet paper roll on the deck of his Sky-Ski, so that it made it easier/gave him something to grab.

2nd place goes to the slalom guys who are still wearing full wesuits in 80 deg. water in July...

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on May 18, 2005)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-18-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
haha... what about the So Cal boys wearing dry suits in 60 degree water??? That's just as bad!

Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       05-18-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
How about that stupid thing you add to the tower(I forget what it's called)...like an extension with like a sail or something? so the Rope tied on like higher...supposedly helped with pop?
Old    alanp            05-18-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
how about wakeboarding in general seems to be a fad right now. where i ride there are a ton of VERY expensive boats. theyve got their racks loaded and all the accruments. then they just park them at the sandbar all day. seems like its pretty trendy just to own a boat. i cant wait till 5-7 years from now and all these boats come for sale. deals will be had.
something else that seems to be coming more trendy is riding larger boards and riding boards w/o any fins(notice i didnt say finless here, dont wanna open that can of worms).
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-18-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
WT over 60 or WT+AT >120 = Boardshorts in my book. Go straight from drysuit to boardshort, non of that springsuit stuff. The rule is once you take off the drysuit, there's no going back.

Wakeboarding is not a fad. Some of the trends within wakeboarding are. Surfing? Skateboarding? Snowboarding? I'll give you bungee jumping.
Old    jacobv            05-18-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
I'd about had it with the spiked, frosted bleached hair, pooka shells, pierced ear, and sweet $100 shades thing, but i can't complain, don't see that much anyumore thank god. That was relly getting to me...
I'd say the worst trend or fad is people at the lake that can't throw down, but talk yay and have the nicest boat and gear, they always seem to have a hot girlfriend... Dang, i guess girls go for the guy that can the weakest mute tap.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-18-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
What in the world is that one of those thing that you use for a semi on a tower what the heck does that do?

Later-
Zach
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-18-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
zack- downforce like on a racecar. It supposedly equals the downforce of 1000lbs.

Fortunately I am the only core wakeboarder in my area so there arn't any rich kids who talk but cant ride. Some people have towers, but no one has a brand new VLX or 210 with sooped out tower.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-19-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
The only way that wing will generate 1000lbs of downforce on a boat is if it weighs 999lbs.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-19-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Wouldnt that weaken the tower? sorry i have never seem them!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-19-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
At 22 mph that wing won't do squat!

Old    clubjoeskier            05-19-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
J-rod--Was that drysuit remark shot over my bow?? I was wonderin', cuz Umali and Bug have been riding me about it......I have delicate skin . I caved to peer pressure, and trunked it last week (temporary insanity)!!

I'm keeping my gloves!!!

Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
what wrong with mullets let's bring it back.
peace
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
Oh yeah! Definitely you too, Joe!

Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-19-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
What about those stupid wakeboarding web sites, with those stupid forums that people post stuff on all day!

uhhhh.....I mean....uhhh......never mind.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
haha! u hit the nailed it with that one!
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
by the way, that is a combination of 2 expressions. errrr......hehe
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       05-19-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
hahaha, that's great
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-23-2005, 3:35 PM Reply   
right now, I think the silliest trend is to tint your boat windows.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
I agree. pretty stupid to cut down your visability.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-24-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
"The only way that wing will generate 1000lbs of downforce on a boat is if it weighs 999lbs."

bwahahahaha! I think you're being generous giving that thing credit for 1 lb!

From the spring loaded suction cup flag holder my father-in-law had on his old Glastron to the $800+ polished billet tube automatic flag Rio is selling I still chuckle when I see one of those.