Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-26-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
anybody ever use them? any problems or should i build my own
Old     (SugarFree)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-27-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
judging off the name alone i wouldn't use them (the chevy nova didn't sell good in spanish speaking countries... no va = no go... kinda a bad name for a car)... check out my buddy Ryan's winching company at phoenixwinch.com... he can give you any insight into winches whether u want to build your own or buy one of his... he'll even make you some parts for a winch which is handy if you can turn a wrench but can't weld.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-27-2011, 8:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFree View Post
judging off the name alone i wouldn't use them (the chevy nova didn't sell good in spanish speaking countries... no va = no go... kinda a bad name for a car)...
LOL, not so much....

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp
Old     (SugarFree)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-27-2011, 10:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
LOL... snopes... ohh you mean the "end all be all final word on everything" right?... run by David and Barbara Mikkelson who have no history of investigative research and started the website as a hobby. yah they got all the answers they've never been proven wrong. whether the chevy nova thing is false or not is besides the point, it was used to illustrate a point... a winch company named neverride is in fact terrible marketing. whereas a snowboard company named neversummer is much more appopriate.

all im saying is theres plenty of guys here in the good ole US that can probably help you or build you a winch for less money than having one shipped over from switzerland.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
i have pretty much all the parts you need sitting in my closet, just never got around to bulding it. kicking my self for spending like 500 bones on the crap and just not finishing it.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-28-2011, 1:05 AM Reply   
Dave- NeverRide makes very high end winches that I've heard some great things about. But...they're real costly, and if you're just looking for a winch then you can certainly build one (or buy one...or two) for less than the cost of what a new NeverRide will cost you.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
BUILD IT!
I built mine, which is a lot smaller than a lot of them on the market, so I could fit it in my car trunk and get a lot of comments about how easy it is to run.
Even if you can't weld, bring some photos, your pillow blocks (to hold the shaft and spool), your spool, fair lead, clutch, and motor to a welding shop, they should be able to whip out a frame in little to no time. My frame took us about 3 hrs to put together, and that's with designing it on the fly!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
DC think we could see some pics?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-28-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Buy a PULLDOZER! Hands down best winch ever! End of story
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-28-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
Neverride makes the best winches made. I have heard they pull smoother than a boat. But the Hive was $10, 000 back in 06 i think. But i think they have different models now.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
so expensive to buy them already built, pretty easy and way cheaper to build your self. expensive parts are the CVT (works better than a centrifugal clutch) and the spool ( if you arent building your own) everything else is pretty cheap. I think i spent 50 bucks on a spool of amsteel blue, forget how long that is, 600ft?
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-28-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feed Back BOOOOYYYZZZ

Respect

Dave