Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       11-05-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
2000 Tige 21v with stock OJ prop. I nicked the prop on the lift cradle last season and removed it and had it repaired and seemed to work out well. The last few times out I have a lot or rumble and vibration at low speeds (6-10mph)that appears to go away at higher speeds but engine sound seems noisier. Boat stays on the same lake, no recollection of hitting anything and the prop looks fine when eyeballing it. Anyone have input if this is typically prop needing rework or do I have bigger worries?
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-05-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Any chande of prop shaft damage from prop incident?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-05-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
It does sound more like a prop issue, possibly not re-balanced corectly after repair? A damaged prop shaft usualy will have vibration issues at all speeds.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       11-06-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Is there a method for determining shaft damage? As I said, the vibration seems to go away when you speed up but even the wife points out that it is noisier and was easier to hear the stereo or talk at tow speeds a while back
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-06-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
yeah, you usually need a runout guage to determine how true it is.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-06-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Are you sure it's not cavitation? This is where the prop 'feeds' itself around the outside, recirculating the water and air bubbles. Once you speed up the prop is unable to do this and the 'vibration' goes away.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       11-07-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
Appreciate the feedback. I was already considering a move to a new prop so I may bite the bullet and hope it solves itself. Bruce, if cavitation is the prob, would replacment solve this as well?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-07-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
J- I had the same problem- I would bet it's the balancing of the prop- do you have a stainless OJ? Stainless is great, but it is harder to balance than brass and you can feel everything coming through it- especially on a V-drive. I have a Cutter Stainless on my Tige and had it rebalanced 2X this summer- the first time locally ( mistake) then I finally sent it to Seattle Propeller where they do an MRI on it- something only a few places in the country can do- and it turned out perfect. They have done my props forever ( used to live in Seattle) and will now only send props to them. I also have an Acme Brass prop with a couple of dings in it, and you can't feel any vibe with it- I really believe it's the metal. I noticed the same thing on my old runabout when I switched from aluminum to stainless. Good luck.