Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Check your impeller!

I had put it off, along with other maintenance, and have been burning up the lake lately................well, go out last night and sitting at idle and suddenly there is a strange friction noise under the hood (direct drive MC x-5)...........thought "rutt roh" sounds like da impeller.

Turned boat off, tossed anchor, pulled the pump cover and sho 'nuff, busted up impeller but still in nearly one piece - it was on the verge of busting up completely though. LUCKY.

FORTUNATELY, I kept a decent one in the glove box from when I changed it out back when I can't remember. Screw driver, needle nose vise-grip plyers, and a little barbasol shaving cream and a bump of the ignition to spread the cream on the old impeller, and she comes out like butter (shot shaving cream out at wife and son though LOL).

Busted up "props" on the impeller so I pulled the feed lines and found all (I think!) of the missing pieces.

20 minutes later back in business and riding. Could of been an overheated motor and much more expensive and PITA fix.

Just a friendly reminder....it's a $34 part at skidim and not that hard to change (on a direct drive, anyhow)......happy boarding.
Attached Images