Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-12-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
I just bought a 20ft boat with stock everything. I'm a car sterio guru but I have never owned a boat. I am wanting to put in 2 or 4 new 5"-6.5" speakers with my old Rockford Fosgate amp and a head unit. I have two speakers right now that are by the driver seat and passenger seat and I am going to replace these ones with two new ones. I am also thinking about installing two in the rear and maybe two in the open bow for a total of 6 speakers throughout the boat. would this be a good idea? Just curious as to what boat owners use and does any of your custom sterios sound great in open air on the water? I'm thinking about purchasing a Pioneer deh-p7500 cd/mp3 player, and thought about maybe either pioneer or sony xplod's speakers. Boat Gurus?????? Thanks.
Old    buttskimmer            02-12-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
I have been using the sony explodes - 3way. You don't really need 3-way but the tweeter + mid have a protective coating on them. The 2 ways don't. Water/moisture is your biggest emeny here.
No paper cones unless they are protected. Almost all boats come the way you stated. Try and point the rear ones forward and out of the way of anyplace that you know is a wet area. Not too high either so they won't get splashed. I was lucky on mine that either side and below the sunpad had a board facing forward. JBL makes a real good marine speaker and thats what I used back there. I am upgrading right now to 4 - 5 1/4" Sony Explodes in tubes on the tower driven by a 400watt profile 2 channel amp. The deck is a Pioneer supertuner cd w/45w per channel that drive a pair of the same explodes under the dash like yours and a pair of JBL 6 1/2" marine in the back. Pick up the tubes from paint tommorrow. I will let you know. The 4 in boat rock right now. It vibrates.
~S~
Old    buttskimmer            02-12-2003, 7:02 PM Reply   
By the way - Deck was $115, 3 - pair Sonys - $255
1-pair JBL - $90, all bought at best buy. Amp was $79,wire kit $20, Monster cables $19 all bought at circuit city. Total $560. Made the tower and tubes at work - they compt the materials. Sometimes its nice to have a trade.
~S~
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-12-2003, 7:54 PM Reply   
Thanks Scott.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
I'm running all 4 pair of MBQ's a two 12's and over 200 watts just to have audible music at wakeboard speed. Being open air at 22mph just eats up your sound. When I play my system in my garage its the best stereo I've ever owned. Out on the water its way different. Its the nature of the beast.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
sorry, thats 2000 watts not 200