Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2012, 10:16 PM Reply   
What's up everyone,

Just curious what price you think this boat would run for...

-2008 Epic 23V w/ the Zieman tandem axle trailer

With all the stock options I believe at the time:

-Full Kicker audio system, (2 amps, sub, all the stock interior and transom speakers *too many to count*)
-8.1L Merc 375 HP engine
-Merc Smart Tow GPS system
-4000# ballast system, with the tsunami pumps
-Bimini Cover
-Epic Boat Cover
-Samson Folding Tower with rotating board racks
-Heater system

Engine only has 14 hours on it.

Looking at picking one up, just curious what people's thoughts on pricing are on this, and your opinion of the boat if you care to give it.

Thanks!
Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
Just a bit of follow up info if it helps...

Boat overall is in good shape... Exterior is clean and free of any significant scratches to the gelcoat. The one issue it has is on the exterior is the rub rail is seperating from the hull in a few spots, and a couple of the screws are missing.

Interior is also in good shape, the vinyl is actually looking great, just needs a good cleaning, no big marks or scuffs that I can find. The openings under the seat cushions do have some chips around the edging from the metal seat bracket that keeps them in place (i'm thinking about removing that).

Trailer is a little beat up, handful of spots that have rusted and can use some TLC, but nothing that can't be handled with a little elbow grease. I think the trailer sat outside for a while.

Like I mentioned, the motor only has 14 hours on it, so really the boat is almost unused.

Any opinions on what this boat would/should sell for would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
Sounds like something I would run away from. What is the reason for the low hours? My buddy just bought a 2009 Ride 23 with 34 hours but the boat is in near mind condition beside one scratch on the hull side. What you are talking about sounds like abuse or a boat that wasn't built very good. Now I have never been in one myself the pictures I have seen of Epics make it look like they are subpar on the fit and finish portion of building boats. Is the entire rubrail seperating from the deck/hull? If so it sounds like a problem that could be consistant with the entire rubrail. Can anyone answer if the rubrail screws are the same screws that attach the hull and deck or are they fiberglassed together? That would be amy biggest question/concern. When you add in a dirty interior and a beat up trailer I would be very wary. I would demo the boat a couple times. I would also have a mechanic check out the engine very closely to check compression, running temp, etc...
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-12-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
Check on getting the updated oil pan, I believe the earlier Epic with the Merc 8.1 had oil starvation issue due to no baffling in the pan to prevent oil slosh. Not 100% on the details.

You could find some of these for 30k (there was a guy locally here selling one for that). Even if it had some more hours and possibly in better shape, would be a decent trade off.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-12-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Just curious...how do you get a beat up trailer on a boat that only has 14 hours on it?
Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2012, 3:16 PM Reply   
Timmy - You got me, apparently the boat was a demo boat for the company, and this guy bought it a few years back with like no hours on it. He took it out 3 times since then and put the 14 or so hours on it. Must have seen some weather though for the trailer to have these spots on it. I am wondering if he picked up a cheaper possibly used trailer since it was a demo boat for the company?

Most of the boat is quite pristine, like the engine compartment and engine components really do look brand new.

Brett - Ya, I kind of already ran right into it, lol. I had read how most Epic owners absolutely loved their boats, and I pulled a NADA value of mid $40,000's for this model, and thought I was getting a steal...... i'm wondering if that is not the case now... I demo'd the boat and it ran very well and started up and sounded great, steering seemed right on point, ballast systems all functioned fine, as well as sound system, but now that I got it home I am really looking at everything so closely I am finding these skeletons in the closet.

Bryce - Thanks for the heads up, I'll check on that.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
The oil pan issue was on the Volva Penta engines. Not the Mercs. Get your facts straight.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-14-2012, 12:16 PM Reply   
It sounds like you got a decent deal on it. Take it out and enjoy it!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-15-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Sounds like you did get a deal on it. Love my Epic!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-15-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
The oil pan issue was on the Volva Penta engines. Not the Mercs. Get your facts straight.
oh sorry sir... my facts werent up to your standards... did i not make it clear I wasnt a 100%? just trying to help out the op on something worth looking into.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-16-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Sorry didnt mean to come off rude. It just seems like some people on WW like to bash or be quick to post incorrect information about certain brands when they actually know nothing about them. I'm assuming that was not your intention then.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-16-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
not bashing.... just knew there was a issue at some point... wasnt sure on details...
Old     (Eppies07epic)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-16-2012, 8:32 PM Reply   
polarbill
The deck and the hull are fiberglassed together.
Dude......I am thoroughly impressed you can make that kind of comment on that little info, and only seeing pics of the boats. You said your friend picked up a Ride with a little more than 30 hours and that was a great deal?! Did you caution him the same way? Maybe someone cleaned the boat spotless to "hide" something! LOL! I LOVE MY EPIC! I agree with Timmy,......ENJOY!!
Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-16-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Hey Eppie,

So with the description of the boat as I provided above.

Do you think $36,000 is a pretty good price?

Also, do you mind shooting me your email address. I would love to pick your brain about epic's and I am see'ing your name all over the forums regarding these boats.

Thanks
Old     (Eppies07epic)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-17-2012, 9:18 PM Reply   
Hell yea I think thats a god deal!
I'll shoot you my e-mail address.
Old     (Eppies07epic)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-19-2012, 6:29 PM Reply   
sdkid21, Dude,
Been trying to i.m. you, but I don't think it went through.
I.M. me your e-mail address and I'll respond.