Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
My dads been lookin to get a new skim style surfer, and im not totally sure who makes what, in terms of quality and performance.

Ive looked at the inland surfer moss, phase5 danielo pro, and shred stixx skim stixx, what do you guys think of these boards?

What other boards should I look into?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
Tripple X wakesurf boards are really nice.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
Joey, I've talked about it in a few other threads, but recently i got a chance to ride a 51" Calibrated Piscus Swallow Tail and i was totally blown away. I had always heard they made the best skim so i wasnt sure if it would live up to the hype, but it did. I think its faster than the Moss and it also is more lively. At only one inch longer than the Moss its able to ride guys at 225lbs no problem where I had trouble with the moss at 150lbs if the wave was less than perfect. The swallow tail also helps the board out a lot, its much faster and stable compared to a pin tail.
A big plus for me is the board construction. Im a nerd when it comes to board design and how boards are made. I've seen how these boards are made and whats inside of them. The construction of these boards is just like a snowboard and it gives the boards a really lively feel and makes them super strong. The edges are pvc so there is no way you are denting or splitting these boards if you hit the swim platform. Also they are made in right here on the delta in California. And for about $460 retail they are cheaper than the inland skims and ride better in my opinion.

I have yet to ride a Shred Stixx skim or Phase 5 though.
Old    surfdad            06-08-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
Hey Mitch, you mention that Mike is making the sidewalls out of PVC. Is that a change, or possibly, just a typo?

In the past, Mike at Calibrated constructed the boards of Divinycell foam core with ABS side walls and nose and tail blocks and not PVC. Divinycell is a cross-linked PVC foam. This is NOT CPVC like the plastic pipe for sprinkler use.

The core material in ABS is the thermoplastic resin acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, or ABS for short. PVC pipes, also known as CPVC, are made from a thermoplastic material known as chlorinated poly-vinyl chloride. The main structural difference between the two types is that ABS as a material is more flexible than CPVC. This would make ABS a great choice for the side walls and nose and tail as it will absorb impacts without splitting, like Mitch indicated.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Jeff you know way too much..... just playin

Do you guys have any clue where I can even get a calibrated surfer?? Would love to get one for my old man for his Bday.
Old    surfdad            06-08-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
You know my wife says the same thing! Although she shortens it to "know-it-all" I'm sure it's a compliment.

I heard that Towanza has a shipment coming and you should be able to reach Mike Armstrong at Calibrated at his email - mike@calibratedwakesurfing.com

Shoot me a PM if that doesn't work, I'll email you his cell #.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
Jeff, i asked Mike if it was ABS and im pretty sure he said it was actually PVC. but i could be wrong.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
yea jeff, take what I said as a compliment. I know who to come to when dealing with surfboards....If you need help with diesel trucks I can ramble on for days haha.

I will shoot them an email and see what they say. Do you know which surfer is better, between the telum and the piscus? From the descriptions the piscus seems like a skim style that wants to be a surf style?

Thanks a bunch Jeff, and mitch too.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
Joey, im pretty sure right now they are only making the piscus in a swallow and pin tail.
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Check out the 2010 composite x it comes in 51", 54", 58" all textallium fabric looks sweet
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
would love too, but the new sites not up and cant find any retailers online.
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-10-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
I think they have a ebay store site. Check there maybe