Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    nooner            10-23-2003, 7:23 PM Reply   
Looking at SAN with the 502 430hp engine. Anyone here have one of these or know of someone that has one? Have there been any issues with them? Do they drink alot fuel compared to the 351? Any disslikes or likes? thanks
Old    skiingjeff            10-24-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
Century Marine HAD one. I'm not sure if it is still available. Looks like a nice boat.

http://www.centurymarine.com/2003%20210%20Air_Black_White_Team.htm

EDIT: Just re-read your post. I guess you've already found one. Sorry...

(Message edited by skiingjeff on October 24, 2003)
Old    nooner            10-24-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yea I already found one. I am just wondering if I should stay away or go for it. I dont want to buy something that has some issues. I am sure when it comes time to replace that engine. It will be alot more expensive than a 351
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-24-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
I thought it was 420 HP.. I could be wrong. Anyway, my buddy has one and loves it. The real question is do you need it? If you are planning on running 3000 lbs + in ballast then go for it. If not, get the ?-10 or whatever its called. And YES is chugs the go go juice!
Old    nooner            10-24-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
No I dont need the extra power. But I found a used SAN with this engine. I love the color combo. I am just kinda browsing. I probably wont be Purchasing til March or April. but if i get a great deal I might get one now. I am guessing the bigger motor probably weighs more so you dont have to weight it as much.
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
Luis,

I have one in a 2001 SAN that I bought used in August. The engines is a bit heavier, about 150 lb more than the small blocks. The actual HP rating on the engine is 425. My biggest complaint is that it makes it more difficult to work on. In all actuality the engine is really to big for the boat but who am I to complain.

When it come to power the engine has it and then some. It’s not that the boat is faster its just a work horse. To get up on plain with 2000 lb and 8 people in the boat is like having stock ballast in a new SAN with 4 people. The one thing you will notice is the engine is a good amount louder. Don’t worry about tower speaker you won’t hear them.

I’m sorry I can’t tell you about any mechanical ups or down since I’ve only had it for 2 months now But with a good tune up it seem to run good. As for gas consumption I notice a slight difference but not a dramatic as I would have thought. This might be because the engine doesn’t have to work as hard as a smaller one. I don’t know.

I hope this answers most of your question. Sorry for the long and drawn out post. Good luck on any purchase you make. Most boat out there are great just find the one that suits your needs not your neighbors.

Scooby
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-24-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
The big engine will last much longer than a small block. The 502 also turns less RPM's at wakeboarding speed so fuel use should be about the same, if you load the boat with more than stock weight. As for problems with them; they run similar fuel injection systems which means that the problems will be about the same, fuel and spark wise, while mechanically the 502 is much stronger.