Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-06-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Well I just finished the bar in our front room. Now the goal is to get a pool table. Originally I wanted to buy a high end new Olhausen but that is a lot of cash for a new table. I am thinking of buying used one. One question I have is how hard is it to have the table refelted? My wife has particular color scheme. Also does anyone have any experience buying used?
Also if anyone has any hook ups on tables in the bay area let me know. Thanks, mike
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-06-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
Either get a Brunswick Gold Crown II or a Diamond, but the Brunswick is the best. You should be able to find them used on Craigslist. A BGC II can be completely rebuilt with available parts and is the best pool table PERIOD. After you get the table you will then need to cover it Simonis cloth, I would go with 860. You can probably walk into any "real" pool hall and ask the guy behind the counter if he knows where you can get a Brunswick table, make sure it is a Gold Crown II though.

I spent five straight years of my life, every single night except maybe Christmas week, in a pool hall. I once saw a 19 year old kid win $500K from a another guy by playing one pocket for 35 hours in one winner take all match... he won by two points. In March 1997 I beat Earl "The Pearl" Strickland in a race to 9 for $20 at Texas Express, but got my butt kicked by Janet Lee.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-06-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
I've had an Olhausen table in my house for 16 years and very happy with it. Well built IMO (my particular model)... Changing felt is only a couple hunnert in CA, not including new bumpers.

I bought mine new, so no opinion on buying other than have somebody dismantle it for transport. Heard stories of people jacking up a perfectly good table by trying to just cart it out in one piece.

Good luck
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-07-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Mike:
Olhausen are very good quality pool toabels and I have had mine for about 5 years. I bought it used on CL stupid cheap with tons of accessories from a forclosure home in Elk Grove. If you buy one on CL and need it moved or refelted a guy in Sacto named Josh Upton was very reasonable and did a great job for me. his # is 209-747-8347. Get the felt on Ebay in deisred color with matching chalk very reasonable... They must be set dead level to play correctly and that can take a bit of time so take a long level and check the floor slope in your home where it will go...

Rick
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-07-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
I haven't owned a pool table in some time but this is what I seem to remember. The high end tables tend to have one piece slate. As you move down in price the slate will come in two or three pieces. The thicker the slate the more money it tends to be. Changing the felt is relatively easy, especially if you are buying a used one because they have to take it apart to move it (assuming it is of high quality). I learned that you pay a pool table guy to take it apart and move it. While he has it apart he replaces the felt and reassembles it in your house. This is not an easy task and it if you want it done right you can't do it yourself.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-07-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
I agree with what everyone said. We had a olhausen pool table at the lake house. It was like a 5k dollar table and we couldn't give it away. Used is the way to go.
We ended up selling it for $700. They payed a guy $500 to vim and relocate it.
And what Jason said about the 2 piece vs the one piece. IMO once it's install and level you will not know weather u have a 1 or 3 piece so get what ever you can find in the right price range and pay a pro to move it. They also set up (level) the tables
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
Definatley going to get a professional mover and professional felt person (I know my skill set and strong man events is not one of them). Sounds like I just gotta wait for the right table on craigs list. That way I don't have to take the new price tag hit. I don't mind spending a couple grand but I want a nice table, and new they are upwards of 5k easy.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-07-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/2929122670.html
Here is one for 525.00
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-07-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
Let me ask you this... what size of pool table are you looking at? I guess that is the key. If you are talking about 4' x 8' or smaller then get whatever... If you are talking about 4.5' x 9' then get the Brunswick Gold Crown II.
Old    Swass            05-07-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Is Janet Lee as hot in person as she looks on TV?
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-07-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swass View Post
Is Janet Lee as hot in person as she looks on TV?
No, she is all hunched over and has real trouble getting around. She has scoliosis and is in constant pain.

Ga-Young Kim is pretty damn hot though. Jennifer Chen is too.

If you want to read an interesting book about the "pool life" read David McCumber's Playing Off the Rail.

The best players that I ever saw were in Nogales, Mexico in the billiard room above Obessions strip club. I saw a kid make a run of 13 three-cushion billiards... the world records is only 34 and this kid was getting ten or more consistently. He was playing all the old men in the place and taking all the money. He wasn't that good at 9-ball, but I doubt he played it that much. I was up $1,000 but didn't think I could make it out of there with the money so I bet it all on a 3-cushion game and lost and walked away even after a day of playing. Good times!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-07-2012, 3:13 PM Reply   
Anyone have any information on outdoor tables? Worth while? Do they hold up? Decent priced ones?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-21-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
Picked up an Olhausen Black Hawk for $1000. Going to cost $500 to move it and refelt but thought it was pretty good deal. Will be here on the 29th. It goes with the color of our room which is great. Hard to find a table that was not oak or cherry wood.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-21-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
before you make any decisions check out stinegametables.com great company theyll work with you and get you what you want!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-21-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
Speaking of poker tables. If anyone is looking for a poker table in the bay area or up near Lake Tulloch let me know. I have two and only need one. Looks similar to the one in this pic (but has green felt). I will let if it go for $150.00. Sorry I don't have better pics but I can get some this weekend if you are interested. Thanks, MIke
Attached Images