Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-27-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
Just thought I would share some pics of my soon to be new ride,It is a 5.0 squash tail with parabolic stringers.I had no intentions of getting another board but could not pass up the chance to own something new to the market from Soulcraft.Jeff is such a great guy and is more than willing to step out of the box for his customers.Keep an eye out for soulcraft team rider Jimmy sparling he is rocking one of these this year and word is he loves it and wont let anyone else ride it.Cant wait to get mine.............................................. .......H
Attached Images

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-27-2012, 9:12 PM Reply   
Nice
Why did you decide to go squash tail from your current fang tail?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-28-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
Mitch I went with the squash tail to round out my collection. I already have a swallow tail jetty and my custom fang tail which I love so it seemed like a logical choice to go with a squash tail so I have one of each
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-28-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
which tail works better for surface tricks like 360's?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-28-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
so far the fang tail will break loose easier than the swallow tail.I cant comment on the squash tail as I have not spent much time on one yet
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
JS, ive heard that round tails are the best for surface rotations, but swallow tails are fastest. The fang tail is a mix between the two it looks like.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-29-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Rounded tails, including rounded pins, squash tails, diamonds and similar variants lack the hard point of say any sort of swallow or fish tail, and thus are less likely to catch an edge when rotating. It is not exactly about fast versus less fast. In fact, speed is often the most confused aspects of a board. Loose feels fast, but is not necessarily actually moving faster.

Swallows and fish tails have more surface area, thus more area for energy to exert upon, simple physics. Additionally the cut out area provides an increased release, thus they are considered to have a feeling of being looser. However, the points of deeply cut swallows are thought to work very much like an additional fin, providing stability and direction, and is exactly why you see them so much on twin fin boards.

'fang tail'; 'toad tail'; 'stealth swallow' or stealth tail, are all variants of roughly slamming a squash or diamond tail into a swallow tail. They probably owe their origins to the bat-tail quad craze of the late 1990s. It is in a way of trying to capitalize on both design aspects or capitalized on pivot points, release areas and overall larger surface area. We started employing them back in the comp 1 days and carried it over and refined it through the elevation, hazen and pro. the elevation design with a step deck and built in kicktail, necessitated a much wider center diamond tail, coupled with the more classic swallowtail outline towards the rail. So with a wider center area, the swallow portions towards the rail get smaller, generally speaking. Toad style tails further decrease the 'swallow' portion of the tail to the point to which they are nothing but little bumps or hips or sharp like a fang or triangle.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-17-2012, 12:06 PM Reply   
the board is done and on its way cant wait to try it
Attached Images

Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-17-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
I should be getting mine next week also!!! can't wait to ride it!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-18-2012, 1:19 AM Reply   
Looking at the above pictures, the first ones, the board looked like it had a very wide tail, but looking at these most recent, doesn't look as wide. Are the pictures correct, the latest 2?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
Bring that shtick up here H! I'll test it out for you!!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-08-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
So I finally had a chance to spend a couple days riding my new soulcraft parabolic.It took a pass or two to get the feel for the board as it rides completely different than my other soulcraft boards.The board is super fast down the line and edge to edge.I cant say enough good things about this design it feels like the board wants to jump out of the water every time you edge up the wave and with the squash tail it breaks lose and spins easily.You can definitely feel the board flex almost like a sling shot. I love this board and believe the parabolic design is the direction builders will be heading.If you have the opportunity to demo a parabolic board definitely give one a try
Attached Images

Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-08-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
I had a good time on my parabolic yesterday as well!!!
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
Harold is right, I rode this board with him last Thurs. It is way fast!!! totally thought the thing was gonna jump out of the water! I think I actually got the fins out of the water! ( a little bit anyway). I need more time on a board like this, and it could become my favorite!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Sounds like a fun board, we have demoed out our Soulcrafts a lot, and everyone always loves one or the other. Plus I like saying "fang tail". ;-)