Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-15-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
I just finished a conversation that was...personally distressing, I guess. It's easy for folks to jump to conclusions, based more on their own perceptions rather than fact.

My father, who is 85 years old is in the hospital after collapsing last night. It certainly is a reminder of our own mortality.

Growing up my father was a traditional 50's era father. Kids were left to the mom and dad's brought home the bacon.

I promised that I would never be that sort of father, although I know he did his best. I, along with the dedicated efforts of other enthusiasts, fashioned the AWSA to help foster the devlopment of Wakesurfing contests and at the same time, foster the development of healthy self-esteem for our youth. To provide a framework for families to enjoy a sport that EVERYONE can participate in, not just kids or, alternatively, not just parents. Families as a unit.

My lovely wife, Judy, my loving son James and I attend every contest we can find, during the summer. It is a wonderful sense of sharing and it gives us countless hours together. Also, we have met many wonderful people from across the country. Folks that have invited us into their homes and keep us in their prayers. What greater gift is there than to be surrounded by those you love and who love you.

Please, share for everyone's benefit, how wakesurfing or participating in a wakesurfing event has brought you closer to freinds or family, introduced you to new friends or in some way rekindled some family value for you.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-15-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Jeff - sorry to hear about your dad.

Wakesurfing has been one of the most amazing things that has happened to me and our family. (Well - I should add buying a boat). Through our boat we have met some of the coolest people in Austin that have become great friends. It has also given my wife and I a chance to enjoy sharing our passion for the water.

Through wakesurfing - I've had the chance to meet DonnieB in Seattle and catch an early morning surf sesh on his VLX while I was on a business trip.

Also, this past weekend our family (me, 7mo preg wife, and our 16mo old) made the trek to Fort Worth with some friends for the first official Wakesurf Contest (I know of) in TX. We met some great people -- Larry & Julia Mann of Trickboardz & FAE -- the WakeOutlaws crew "woot woot" and others -- and strengthened friendships with Billy Clark of ASC Boards as well as old family friends I hadn't seen in a while. Good stuff! This is a great sport for just about anyone to enjoy!
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Jeff, hope everything goes well with your father.

We have also meet a lot of nice people and families through the surf events being organized by Ed Sullivan. Wakesurfing is a great family activity. On Norris lake we enjoy teaching families and friends how to surf. Really enjoy the look on people's faces the first time the wake pushes them forward and they get slack in the rope.
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
Jeff, I am so sorry to hear of your father and know you are in our thoughts and prayers. I have had my share of health issues with my mother this past year; and nothing reminds you more of your own mortality than watching someone you love struggle with their own health.

Todd began wakesurfing 3 years back; I "wakesurfed" tethered for the last 2 years until this season. Wakesurfing for us has been a way to reach out and meet new friends and learn more about a fun sport.

I have been able to share the videos of my progression to "true" wakesurfing this season with my family. Even though I am a thousand miles away from them (they are in MN, we are in TX) it has bridged the gap that distance has created and generated alot of great conversations.

(Message edited by hgaugh on August 15, 2007)
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       08-15-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Having started wake surfing in 63 my nieces and nephews have grown up doing it as well. Now they have kids of their own ages 2-16 and all but the two year old are surfing. Having my family in the boat is still my favorite crew. Recently we had my mom, 87, in the boat watching her great grand kids, grand kids and the biggest kid, me, surfing. A great day it was.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-16-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
Jeff, your father is the same age as mine, best wishes.

Our family bought lake front property in southeastern Michigan in 1966. At first our neighbors in Toledo brought their boat up to the lake, a year later we had our own boat. We had a contractor build the shell or our vacation home. Dad and our family finished the home, it was a great experience.

I started skiing when I was eight. We went through so much 2-cycle fuel that dad began buying 2-cycle oil in a 5-galon can. One gas pump that we went to rolled over from 19.99 to $00.00, so we had to watch the gas pump and tell the attendant how much gas we purchased.

Our neighbor with the boat was manufacturing wakesurf boards for Cypress Gardens water shows and for sale to the public. My family bought one. We tried wakesurfing back in 1968 but our little 16 foot 55 hp boat barely made a ripple in the water. Now something 40 years later I’m wakesurfing all the time.

We have an annual family reunion in Indiana at Pokagon State Park and stay at the Potawatomi Inn, I love those names. This year the Inn was celebrating its 80th anniversary. For the last 75 years my father, in an on and of basis, has been visiting this Inn. The Inn is water front on Lake James. The Inn has open docking for guests. Boating has been the central activity for our reunion. I put something like 40 hours on the boat at each reunion. We do everything from Wakeboarding, Water Skiing, Knee Boardiong, Wakesurfing, and tubing. We take my parents around the lake to look at the amazing water front homes.

Boating has been a wonderful family experience for me. We often mention the lake cottage to my parents and thank them for that wonderful summertime experience.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-16-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Jeff, best wishes for your dad. Hope everything turns out fine with him.

e
Old    surfdad            08-16-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Update on my father - and thanks for everyone's concern. The culprit was paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Say that three times fast. :-) The way it was described to me is an irregular heartbeat and is somewhat common for folks in their 80's. It is also the leading cause of stroke.

Dad is out of the hospital, they caught it early enough that there wasn't any cardiac arrest or stroke and is on a larger dose of anticoagulants.

My gratitude to all for your concern and prayers.
And as Jerry points out:

"Having my family in the boat is still my favorite crew."

(Message edited by surfdad on August 16, 2007)
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       08-16-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
Thanx for the update Jeff, Have fun at "The Nationals".................JP