Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-15-2003, 11:17 AM Reply   
I have a '02 Malibu VLX. I was curious what is the best prop for my boat? Brand, size, etc.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
Mostly personal preference, but you can't go wrong with an ACME 381 (same prop that is stock on the boat), even a 385 (13.5 x 16) if you want more pulling power with ballast. We're running a group buy right now, let me know if you're interested.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-15-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
I switched to a 13.5 x 16 and love it. According to the speedo, I haven't lost any top end, and I have more power out of the hole
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-15-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
Last year I had an 02 VLX with the 325 Monsoon and bought a 14x16 OJ 4 Force Stainless Steel and loved it. Much better low end and I only lost about 1 MPH on the top end.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-15-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
In the latest issue (2-2003) of LevelX mag they talk about props on page 48. It started to make me wonder what is the best prop to use on my VLX. They talk about "too much" or "too little" can result in fluctuation of performance and can even damage your engine.
Old    hockeyruss            04-16-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
Is the Malibu v-drives RH or LH?
Old    dlb988            04-16-2003, 8:52 AM Reply   
Check out the Malibuboatowners.com Acme group buy on props.

I am going to get a Acme 537 it is the number for the 13.5 x 16. I will keep my 381 as the spare.

Bill Weeks, of Acme, says the 537 will give you better hole shot when weighted and about 300 more RPM's at WOT.
Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-17-2003, 4:27 AM Reply   
Mine is a LH.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-17-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
Hey Dirk, just a thought... I ordered my 03 VLX with the Hammerhead (375 HP) and the 13.5x16 Acme prop. It does have a great hole shot... Mine is extremely loaded, however it does hit the revlimiter on the motor when running all out. On the Hammerhead it is at ~5500RPM. It dosen't hurt anything, just annoying.

Yast year I had an 02 VLX with the 325HP Monsoon and changed the stock 13.5x17.5 (14x18) Acme to a stainless steel OJ 14x16 and everything was awesome, did not hit revlimiter and still had a great hole shot. Just some more FYI...
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-17-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
Tony, what is your take on the Hammerhead is it worh the price difference from the Monsoon? I just sold my 02 and was wondering about the different motors.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-17-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
Good question... I was dissapointed in the Hammerhead, I really expected more. It almost seems like it has less low end torque than the Monsoon. You can definatly feel a difference in the higher RPMs. I wish Malibu/Indmar would publish a torque curve for each motor option they offer. Would help us understand what we are buying! With that said, I don't know that I would go back to the Monsoon, it would be hard to let that little bit go, but is it worth it... once again good question? I don't know! Sorry!
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-17-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
We want the 8.1! We want the 8.1! We want the 8.1!

Did you hear that Malibu?

We want the VLX with an 8.1! I know you squeezed it into the LSV, make those engineers think a little harder! It can be done...? Right?
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-17-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
I like what you have to say, I have heard that you can feel the difference in the Monsoon this year. I would love to be able to get the 8.1
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-17-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
I was impressed with the new Monsoon in the Response LXI, that is the only boat I have drove with the new 335. I have also heard that it made a pretty decent difference in the VLX. Our dealer has one, I will have to see if we can get it out on the water and see.

See that Malibu... I am not alone! We all want the 8.1 and a bigger gas tank please!
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-17-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Malibu needs to listen to the people that keep purchasing new boats so come on and put the 8.1 and a bigger gas tank into the VLX
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
The problem is power output is pretty inconsistant among inboard engine marinizers. Your VLX last year could have had a really strong Monsoon (like 340HP worth), and the Hammerhead could be a bit anemic, somewhere around 350HP.

The good news is that the Hammerhead output is much more reliable now than it was, so almost every engine is really strong. Can you imagine what you would think of the Hammerhead if you got a hot engine (380-400HP)! :-)

The 8100 would be sweet in the VLX, but would require massive distortion of the rear deck (like on the Sanger 210), so I doubt it will happen.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-17-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
Jason and TOny what is the price to upgrade to the Hammerhead (dealer cost)?
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-17-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
Jason and Tony what is the price to upgrade to the Hammerhead (dealer cost)?
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-17-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
Dealer sells the upgrade from the Monsoon to Hammerhead for $2135.
Old    philv            04-17-2003, 1:35 PM Reply   
In a 21' boat I think they would have pretty big issues with porpoising since the big-block would weigh quite a bit more than the small block Monsoon or Hammerhead. I heard (take it for what it is worth) that a a guy on a local lake ordered a Mastercraft X-2 and his boat bounces like a basketball b/c of the unever weight distribution. Unless they counter with more weight up front from the factory, their would be too much rear bias. Dont get me wrong, I would love to see a 425hp motor in the VLX. Also, I think they should come out with an optional "Core" wakeboard edition. Big motor, 5 tank MLS (bigger rear tanks (500lbers)and ballast tanks up front under the bow seats), wedge, side-out exahaust (like the response LXI), perfect pass wakeboard Pro, astro-deck or some teak modification to save the transom of the boat from nicks and scratches, and a choice of tower speakers and lights as standard equipment. no showers or heaters or picnic tables on this boat.
Old    philv            04-17-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
forgot to mention in the previous post that the X-2 had the 8.1...........sorry.
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-17-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
No tables? Man, Tony, what would you do without a table? I don't know Phil, if you don't at least give the picnic table as an option, Tony wouldn't buy it.
Old    philv            04-17-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
Ok ok ok.............back by popular demand.........the table can be an option!!!
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-17-2003, 2:42 PM Reply   
Dam... I wouldn'd buy it without the shower or heater! My idea of a core wakeboard boat is one the owner can use year round in any climate. Like Missouri, where I live, we ride year round, are core riders if you like using that word, we break ice to get to open water and the heater and hot water shower are a necissity, not a luxury. It must be part of a core package. I think you need to do some more research analysis before you put that package in the price sheets.

And as far as the table goes... Jefe is just still mad that they aren't available on his Natique, he makes the family eat on the swimplatform since they don't have a table!

And one more thing, how many VLX owners do you know that add more weight to the back of their boats, on the sides of the engine compartments, oh wait... malibu actually sells the boats with 500 pound ballast tanks to add more weight to the back, then don't forget the Wedge to give an additional 1000 pounds of downforce to the BACK of the boat. And then most people I know, in fact all VLX owners that I know add more weight to the back of their boats. I really don't think the difference in weight from a small block to a big block would be enough of a weight difference to make it a poor preformaning boat. Your buddies X2??? You have not provided us enough information to truly understand what the problem he was having and if it was contributed from the motor or any various number of other things that could cause a boat to porpose while under way... like the mold was messed up... and we all know that we would never see that in a Mastercraft! Ha Ha take the 2003 St. Louis boat show for example #1: the sides of the Mastercraft boats on display their looked like stained glass windows (their texture). They were wavier than my American flag I have hanging on my front porch!

Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
I've been in a lot of X-Stars/X2's over the last few years and most of them would porpoise when loaded if we didn't have at least two people in the bow.
Old    philv            04-18-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
hmmm..........I didn't know Malibu offered 2 500lb. tanks in the rear compartment. I'll have to look into that more thuroughly. Tony, did you get these factory installed tanks? The guy with the X-2 was not my "buddy". It was a story I heard recently about the X-2 and a big-block motor being installed. And yes putting a big block in the boat would throw off the weight distribution enough on everyday driving to porpoise badly under certain conditions. Thats all the info you need. Tony, you seem like kind of a smart ass . Must be from that cold water riding