Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
Alright... let's not turn another thread into a pissing match... Any car vs. car analogy to towboats is a complete joke.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Not really a joke. Kinda like there is no way you could compare supra and moomba right. They are the same right? Or would you say one is more trimmed like a cadillac and one more like a chevy. Both being nice and good quality but one just having some subtle and not so subtle differences that makes one more luxurious than the other. I don't know seems pretty relevant to me. Never said either one was a bad boat.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-05-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
I think I said i'd been in it at a boat show, and I said I'd been in an MB.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Actually you said "Never been in either boat"
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
neither exact model of boat.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-05-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
MB = Gulfstream G550
Malibu = Huffy

Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-05-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
Nu bu,

The comparison would be relevant if it was accurate. If you would have said Cadillac to Infinity then you hold substance to your comparison. With yours it was just owner blinders.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Erik more like personal experience before ever purchasing a BU but that's cool.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
They are both nice boats, come on, for me it would come down to price and the dealer, dealer being the most important of all IMO.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
Absolutely, who said they weren't both nice?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-05-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
surf wake on both of those looks killer!
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-05-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Oh nubu then that makes CC a Ferrari and Malibu a Cadillac...just saying from personal experience before ever purchasing a CC
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Klinger that's cool.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-05-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
Malibu = El Camino ... enough said

CC = Cadillac... timeless and classy

MC = Rolls Royce... pricey, glitzy, people like the name

Moomba = honda....bang for the buck

Supra = Acura... a flashy honda

MB = Audi... forign to most of us but a nice and functional

Sanger = Hyundai... price point, stepped up their game as of late

Centurion = Jeep... offroad/surfing is their thing, they do it well

Epic = Hummer/Delorean.... watch out, ahead of its time and all business

Supreme = Kia

Aztec = AMC

Tige = GMC... Chevy, but not

Gekko = Daewoo
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
^^^ haah funny nick el camino are you a Bu hater?

id say the malibu is more like a Chevy
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-05-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Chevy made the El Camino, sooooo
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
BTW very nice reviews but im not sure it was fair as i would think the two boats are ina little different class and price range.I may be wrong but the last i checked the prices on mbs were more comparable to a VLX not a vtX so comparing a used vtx to a new MB may not be as fair a test as you can get especially if the prices are way apart on each other.

anyway good luck
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-05-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
Mike i meant a newer chevy ,something nicer then a low tech old el camino..maybe CCis like the escalade and the Malibu is like a straight stock cadillac ,yea that more fair :-)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-05-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
I don't hate them, but no where near favorite.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-05-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
Obviously, Nick has never been in or even near a Sanger, or he would have said Porsche.
Handles like no other, no frills, just does what it was meant to do.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-05-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
i second bill, this boat would be more comparable to the vlx. i think if you sat in a vlx the interior will feel just as big as the mb minus the bow area. also i would not buy a new vlx or vtx without bow ballest and power wedge. nice review though, good luck with the buy keep us updated.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-05-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
Bill,

I would say Malibu is much nicer than an old el camino as well. I think of them more like a Yukon Denali.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-05-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
Creative list Nick, did the kids on the short bus help you out with that on your way home from school?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-05-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Good review ixfe...

I hope you didn't test that VTX only to buy a different VTX...that wouldn't be nice to the owner.

Alan...huffy? come on man

Nick have you ever been around a Delorean? The car had a 120hp volvo v6...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-05-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
been around a delorean, first thing I do when I get a real job....buy a delorean, then travel back in time and invent the Malibu and then we'll see who is laughing.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-06-2009, 12:57 AM Reply   
To those who don't think it's a fair comparison, I don't care. I am not a magazine writer. I don't have to be fair. I simply shared my opinions on the two boats that most interest me. So it's fair to me and that's all that matters.

Also, I have been in plenty of VLX's. The MB is still bigger (on the inside). Did you see how short the sun pad is? That just means more space inside. I should go measure from the pylon to the windshield on both the MB and the VLX. Then from seat cushion to seat cushion (beam is deceiving... interior width is more important). I bet the MB is 6" wider than the VLX. Remember, the MB has a capacity of 16. The VLX only 11.

Also, for my puprose, the MB is a good comparison to the VTX for one simple reason... they are about the same length on the trailer, and garage depth is serious constraint for me.

Finally, to Ewing... thanks for the lecture in ethics. Since you asked (rudely) I will assure you that the VTX I drove is in the running. I spoke with the local dealer today who made me a great offer.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2009, 5:01 AM Reply   
Ewing, I was just playing around. I do like Malibu's a lot, just not as much as MB's. ;)

I think that a VTX is a great comp to the TWB. Both are 21' or less and they are almost the exact same in price, if comparably equipped. Load up a VLX to have the same options of a stock TWB and you are 10-15k higher than the TWB. Fact.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-06-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
IXFE i wasnt banging on you for the comparison as it was a great well thought out and full of information and as unbiased as you can be .

I liked your comparision but i was just saying in general the vtx and that MB are in different classes both in price and stature and a true comparision for the general public would be the vlx and MB.

However i understand these are your choices and hence your customized comparison to help make your decsion and i can respect that..

BTW i cant see how they put the engine in the mb,is it sideways?Is it under part of the hull,that sun pad is smaller and may be an advantage but ive been under many vdrive sunpads and most engines already have issues for space to perform maintenance ,store items,and add ballast .So i cant picture where they made up that space ,im thinking it may be tough to do any maintenance yourself and possibly extra cash for the dealer to do it.Reminds me of the newer fors when they put the triton engines back under toward the dash and made it nearly impossible to change the two back plugs yourself.

Ill see these in person tomorrow at our dallas Boat show so ill have some opinions onthe subject in a few days..

again thanks and good luck
Old     (driverlost)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-06-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
How dare you say the TWB interior is bigger than the B52V23?

I can store 12 illegals on each side of my engine. Not to mention the fit and finish of the V23 v. TWB is like a Chevy Tahoe vs. a Chevy Malibu.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-06-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
IXFE I didn't know if you were one of those shoppers that compare every offer from dealers within a 6K mile radius to not let your local dealer try to make a living.

Alan...I know

Thacker...illegals?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
As an ex-Mechanic, PCM, Indmar, Mercuiser, Volvo. I can attest that the MB engine config, is one of the easiest to work on. Want some pics??

Malibu 2006 V-Ride
Upload

Supra 22 SSV
Upload

MB B-52 V23
Upload

Centurion Avalanche (Try working around a Walkthrough....
Upload
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
And the TWB with a ZR6... yep thats the bimini sitting in the engine compartment too... :-)
Upload
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Hay Alan...that Supra 22SSV photo looks awfully familiar...
Old     (jpminter)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2009, 6:50 AM Reply   
I feel compelled to post here because I've been behind both of these boats. And also, sorry I did not read every single post.

I prefer this Bu wake shape over this particular MB, which would be a big deal maker/breaker for me.

But I will admit that MB widebody is very nice on the interior. It's made very well, lots of storage, and the ballast system is great and works as advertised.

MB friends, don't hate me.

Side note, IMO acronym was thrown around about 57 times in this thread.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yep, good eye.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-06-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
Is that working v23 bimini?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-06-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Its fine that its not your favorite wake, but do you really have to make faces at it??
Upload
Upload
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-06-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Mb's suck, their speedometers are all 2-3 mph off and their owners are pricks, go with the malibu.
Old     (rekyn1)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
I cant believe no one put this out there yet, but that particular malibu reminds me of a foam cooler full of bud heavy. Seriously? That blue? the circles on the windshield and the tint? the graphics circa 1995 tribal bicept tattoo of some braided and rubberbanded rat tail sporting west virginian?

I'm not usually a huge supporter of MB, but it looks alot better in this comparison.

oh ya, the wake matters alot too.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
I thought you said that the BU had the front tank? If it has the front tank, then total ballast is 1250lbs, not 900 as mentioned. Maybe not.

One other thing, does it really matter what the manufacturer says to how many people you can fit in the boat anyway? Are you REALLY ever going to put 16 people in the boat and go riding? Good luck with that. I'd be willing to bet that if you do once, you won't be doing it again. Personally, more than 5-6 people in the boat is too many.

(Message edited by BBR on February 06, 2009)
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   

quote:

Mb's suck, their speedometers are all 2-3 mph off and their owners are pricks, go with the malibu.

Maybe, but it makes me feel so core when I tell everyone I ride @ 26MPH...
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-06-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
that guy...I like the look of the Malibu, of course being a member of the Indian nation lends to me like anything tribal.
Old     (rightside)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-06-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Feeling core and being core are 2 different things.

Shred til death.

We love you darth gondet, GOOD NIGHT.
Old     (driverlost)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-06-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
I can fill my boat with 2000lbs of ballast and still stow 12 illegals on each side of my engine.

MB should be marketing the V23 in haiti.
Old     (jpminter)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
Haha, Alan that's hilarious.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-06-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
I see the picture of the MB is at AWS. i cant comment on the two boats. but i can attest that AWS is a great dealer that always takes care of their customers. The service manager, Jay, is great at his job and when something goes wrong (it will, in any new boat)they will be there to get you back on the water as soon as possible. They are an established business that will weather this economic climate far better than many of the other dealers in town. my $.02
Old     (gtoaws)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-06-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
The width from inside cushion to cushion is 80" and the length form dash to rear pylon is 100". Here a few more pics of the wake.Upload

Upload
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-06-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
^^^These wake photo's are much better than the ones in the review. Definitely more than just stock ballast though?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-06-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
What say you, Gerry? Any sacs in that boat?

The thing that's missing from my wake pics is a person to give perspective. Those stock wakes looked HUGE when I was looking at them from the back of the boat. I wonder if they look smaller in the pics because you don't see a person on a board next to them.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-06-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Is it me or does that pic of the wakeboard wake look like it is really rampy with zero lip. Maybe it is just because it is a little blurry. I am not saying it is a bad wake just a very rampy looking wake.
Old    AWS            02-06-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
Believe me it has a real nice LIP, and its solid you don't crush through it.
Old    AWS            02-06-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (number55)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-06-2009, 11:35 PM Reply   
I know this may be a dumb question, and I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but if your so impressed with the MBs size, why dont you check out a VLX? it just seems like it would be more of a balanced comparison.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-06-2009, 11:47 PM Reply   
^^^ asked and answered a few posts up
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-10-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
ixfe,
Are you still leaning one way or another?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-10-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I haven't forgotten about wake boats... not even close!

I am leaning VERY heavily in favor of the MB B52 Team Wide Body. I think it's the boat for me. As others have commented, MB really hit a home run with this boat. I also really like my local dealer, AWS.

I am a little concerned with garage fit. I know it will fit, but don' t know exactly how tight it is and whether or not I'll be able to use my side door. So the dealer is bring the boat over in a few days to do a "garage demo."

I'll keep you all posted!
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-10-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
"I am a little concerned with garage fit. I know it will fit, but don' t know exactly how tight it is and whether or not I'll be able to use my side door. So the dealer is bring the boat over in a few days to do a "garage demo." "

ixfe, just mount the door so it opens out instead of in, and it'll fit...

Good luck.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-10-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
"ixfe, just mount the door so it opens out instead of in, and it'll fit..."

Yeah, that's the plan. I know I won't be able to open the door any other way. I've already talked to a contractor about it.

But the real question is whether or not my dog can get around the boat to go through the doggie door. That's how he gets to the side yard to do his bidnes, you follow?
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-10-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
MB boats are so ugly #1 #2 there super ugly. VTX all the way!! nice boat
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-10-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
IPLAY4KEEPS lol ya but if they would have done the MB vs VLX there would be no comparison, VLX would crush
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-10-2009, 10:38 PM Reply   
Ixfe, got it. You can always get another doggie door and install it through through the wall... if it's for the right boat, I'm sure your dog will understand. :-)
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-11-2009, 3:56 AM Reply   
Wow andy, thanks for that insightful input.

Ixfe, I was leaning towards the MB, but based on andy's in-depth review, I think you should abandon the MB and go w/ the Malibu. It really doesn't matter which Malibu, because all MBs are 'super ugly' and all Malibus 'crush'.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-11-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
Andy's post is exactly why I am growing sour on Malibu. Too much blind brand loyalty. It's like BMWs... great car, but 75% of BMW owners buy them for the status not realizing that Audi is just as nice, if not nicer.

Part of me wants to be different... to drive the diamond in the rough... the sleeper that everybody looks past because they are dying to drive a boat with tribal tatoo graphics on the side.

Andy, for your info, I am not looking at a VLX because it won't fit well in my garage. It's 12" longer than the MB sitting on the trailer. Even if I was thinking VLX, I'm pretty sure I'd come to the same conclusion. I honestly think it's both roomier (despite shorter hull) and nicer than the Malibus.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-11-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
I don't know Mr. Smith you look either happy or constipated on this ahem...malibu wake

Oh yeah stock ballast, 95', 28mph, and that guy is 8' tall

Upload
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-11-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
exacly lol i was just giving u my input bro no offence, iv rode behind both and there both great. but i like the VTX
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-11-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
At this point, someone should suggest something totally different, that way this will be just like every other boat comparison thread on wakeworld. So I'd like to suggest a Wakecraft, as I've never seen one, and thus I'm compleatly unbiased...

Seriously, I like that MB (even though I've never been in one) but I LIKE really simple paint/graphics.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-11-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
IXFE, don't paint all Malibu owners with the same brush. Some of us have suggested that you buy the boat that suits you the best. But I am sure that you know that the Malibu gods will strike you down if you go against them!!!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-11-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Trent, sorry. Don't take my comments the wrong way. I first demo'd a Malibu in 2006. It's been the front-runner for me ever since. I admire them on the water, love the DVDs, and have dreamed of owning one. It's not easy to come to this conclusion after all this time.

Garage demo tomorrow!!
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-11-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Don't worry, I don't take anything on Wakeworld to serious. Just buy a boat and burn some fuel!!!! Have a great time with it.

Which boat are you trying tomorrow?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-11-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
^^^ MB... the dealer is bring it over to see how it fits in the garage.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-12-2009, 12:29 AM Reply   
ixfe I would go w/ the MB just because its AWS!
Their sales and service are the absolute best around! They will bend over backwards to keep you happy! Even after the sale.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
MB... the dealer is bringing it over to see how it fits in the garage.

Here is mine in a 6'9" garage that is 22' deep.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-12-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Nice pic...
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Strange....

Upload
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-12-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
Well.... It fits!!! I can even walk around it to get to the side door. But I will have to change the door to swing out if I want to use it.

Upload

Upload
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-12-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
And....????
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-12-2009, 11:24 PM Reply   
And....

the boat is not sleeping over tonight. It went back to the dealer. But I have to decide tomorrow. So I will sleep on it and make a decision in the morning.

I'm not going to lie... the economy is freaking me out a bit. But that boat is the one for me. No doubt about it.

Funny thing... my dealer is now following this thread. He asked me today if he should wait for my call tomorrow or just check WW to get my answer.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-13-2009, 3:56 AM Reply   
Your garage is way too clean.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-13-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
Agreed Dan, ixfe needs a new boat, he spends too much time picking up his garage and not enough time on the water. To get through my garage a significant amount of climbing is involved.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-13-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
I have not ridden either brand and didn't read every post on the thread. I like your review. Based on your initial points, more ballast more seating lower price, it seems obvious the MB.

When I see your review, the MB wake is much bigger in every single pic. IMHO Malibu is the most overpriced boat of ANY out there. I have yet to see a Malibu (NOT IN PERSON, just on a vid, pic, etc) with a steep (not vertical, just any steepness cause now they don't appear to have ANY steepness) large wake.

My humble, barely informed opinion would be the MB.