Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    friedguy            07-10-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
How much of a disadvantage are you at without tower? Does it majorly affect how much air you get? Just wondering because my boat doesn't and I just wanted to see how it would affect my riding. Any info would be appreciated.
Old    lakesideluver            07-10-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
sup bud well ive been riding towerless and i can get 3-5 ft of air which is enough for back rolls and such......just ordered my tower and now i should be 5-10 ft of air.....its all progression......check out www.wakeboardingtowers.com they have towers starting at 500 bucks ask for brian and tell him the murph sent ya
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-10-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
It certainly does affect your air, being pulled from a lower point effectively pulls you downward. This not only affects your height but also your balance.

There are other factors to consider too.
1. Storage for your boards (to keep them off the floor of the boat) is also a HUGE plus.
2. Tower audio components also add to the overall experience for the day.
3. Towing a rope form a higher central position makes it easier to get the rope to a downed rider.
4. Rope on tower makes it easier for your crew to wrangle the it. Setting up the rope for a rider, adjusting it and pulling it back in is easier and safer.
5. Looks cool.

I am certain there are a few I forgot, but these factors should add to your overall decision considerations.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
I think a big wake is much more important than the extra lift provided by a high attachment point, but obviously the combination of both is ideal. Plus, you are a proven bad&ss if you can throw all your tricks with no tower. Check out Necrason's section in the "Skurf's Up" video, where he smirks at the camera as he attaches his rope down low. Some believe you get a more solid pull down there. I would much rather ride with an extended pylon or tower, but riding without one can be do-able, especially if you've got a big wake.
Old    friedguy            07-10-2003, 6:10 PM Reply   
aight, thx you all... i was just wonderin because there is basically no chance in hell that im gettin a tower for my boat (at least til next year)...other people that use it arent for it at all.
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-10-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
I dont have a tower, maybe late this season or next year I will make one. THe last two days I just made a little "ski bar" which is the same theory as a pylon but its only about 4 feet high and I attached it to the back of my boat just behind the back seats. It cost me $30 Canadian in total to make.
2" Pipe - $15
Base Plate - $10
Clamps - $5

If you want I can post a pic. I havent tried it out yet but it is very stiff and will get me a bit more height for my tow point.

Randy
Old    friedguy            07-11-2003, 7:04 AM Reply   
Yeah, Randy if you get a chance I'd like to see what it looks like...I dont think there is a place on my boat to clamp somethin like that on.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-11-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
Hey there Doug. If the other people that use the boat don't want a tower, consider installing a pylon. They're cheaper and can be completely removed when someone else is using the boat.
Old    wakeboard_joe            07-14-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
i'm in my third year of wakeboarding and just installed a monster tower at the beginning of the summer. i ride behind i sierra supreme, and it's a really wide boat so the tower isn't all that high, yet i still feel a large difference, but ive seen people on towerless boats do some crazy stuff so i guess it depends on riding level
Old    wakeboard4568            07-14-2003, 6:59 PM Reply   
yA, I dont have a tower either. Or any fat sacs. Sad times. But hey im not to the poitn yet of backrolls and junk. lol, ill live...or maybe i can talk my parents into splitting a tower w/ me....