Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-11-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
I'm not much of a camera buff so don't laugh if this is a silly question. I have a Nikon Coolpix 775 camera that I mainly use to take pictures for e-mail but I am curious which setting I should use. I took 9 pictures of the same thing at the same distance on each of the settings and couldn't tell much difference in quality on my monitor. The settings were as follows:

Fine/Full=1.41MB
Fine/XGA=211 KB
Fine/VGA=108 KB

Normal/Full=317 KB
Normal/XGA=139 KB
Normal/VGA=52.1 KB

Basic/Full=185 KB
Basic/XGA=77.6 KB
Basic/VGA=33.4 KB

I have never really worried about the settings but to post pics to WW they have to be under 100 KB and most of my results ended up over 100KB.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-11-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
Normally you will need to use a photo editing program to reduce the size of the image (physical dimensions) and the jpeg quality to get the file down under 100KB. If you are just taking pics to post and send via email, then you could just use one of the lower resolution settings such as Normal/VGA and you will be fine, and the image will be decent for posting.

I always shoot at the highest resolution setting so that I can edit/crop the image and if I want to print it I will have the best image possible. But then I'm comfortable using Photoshop and enjoy working with the images before posting them.
Old                02-14-2004, 10:47 PM Reply   
I always shoot all my pictures in the higest possible quality, just in case I want to get prints made, or crop the image. Bill was right on about using a photo editing program to reduce the dimensions and quality of the jpeg.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-17-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. It looks like I'll be learning a new software program...