Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-14-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
anyone know what depth of water you need to supply the maximum wake? opinions are welcome, but i'd really like to see some supporting evidence and facts. i'm guessing that you need at least 10-15' and deeper of water to allow for maximum displacement? i've searched on the web, but haven't found anything. any scientific people on here that know the answer?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-14-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I would say you need like 10/12 ft. where after that depth doesn't matter.

Just what I have noticed, no real science behind it.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-14-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Correct Craft's Greg Melloon remarked to me once (KC boat show prolly 3 seasons ago) that the bottom would affect my wake somewhere between 15 to 30 feet, depending on the bottom, and definitely when shallower than 15 feet, and surely not when deeper than 30 feet.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-14-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
We ride on the Tennesse River in Chattanooga, depth varies from 7 to 30 feet in areas. Only time you can see the wake change is when it gets below 10ft. There may be some small changes between 10 and 15 but the rider or driver cannot see.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-14-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
I can't get nice water without a depth of less than 10' on my lake due to the way the wind blows. I know I can def tell a difference when the water is only 4' in some places. Just have to be careful and stay behind the boat when going through those spots. Needless to say, my prop has seen better days, thankfully it is mostly a sand bottom.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Depends upon the boat. Computer modeling a slammed X-Star led to a 13' depth of water as the minimum. An X-2 needs 10' depth of water. More is better.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-14-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
Personally I think people make into too big of a deal. My private lake ranges from 14 feet to 3 feet in certain spots. I have never noticed any except for the 3 feet area. Everything else is just the same in size. The only thing you can tell change is the surf wake. You can make an awesome wake in 6 feet of water and run it all day long just like in 20 feet of water.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
you can really see the difference when wakesurfing....under about 12 feet the wake doesn't develop so well but over twelve and you can really see the difference. the only time i see the difference in wakeboarding is if the boat is truly slammed 2000-3000lbs plus peeps.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Our lake is 5 feet, and we can still make a big wake. I will say that it does get bigger in 10 feet, but we have had a few pros behind our boat, and they straight killed it.