Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (clb)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-10-2011, 8:02 PM Reply   
Very cool video and photo shoot.

Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-11-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
Wrong link and no, that video is retarded.

Last edited by alevitt; 02-11-2011 at 7:43 AM.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-11-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Dude, whats wrong with the video? Saw the bashing on facebook as well, and I dont get it. He wanted to do something different with wakeboarding, so he did it, and the shots came out looking pretty cool. I dont see the problem. Will other boardsports not respect us as much when they see these pictures? Because we all know that would just be the end of the world.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-11-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Haven't seen any of the flaming but I personally thought is was pretty creative and well done.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-11-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
I dont see any reason to hate. Very cool concept.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-11-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
I just kept thinking Zoolander while watching the indoor shoot.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-11-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
^^^Hahaha... I mean the concept of not actually riding to get a shot is super gay... but I think the dude was going for more the "art" aspect of it which I can appreciate.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-11-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Posers
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-11-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
this isn't lame but posing on a rail for an ad is? go figure.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-11-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
To quote Wakeworld's latest celebrity, Dylan "No Vest" Miller:

"Tindy, Talefish, Nelon, Nute. They really did cover all bases. Right when we thought wakeboarding was starting to get cool. These guys come along and sh#t on everything. F##k that was terrible."
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-11-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Good call Joe. Haha! That takes things back! That's the first thing I thought of when I read the title. Faking the action in the shot is nothing new in this sport.
Old     (yan_tibo)      Join Date: May 2009       02-11-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
did steven spielberg help u guys ????? **** SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-11-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
Its art guys--not wakeboarding. If a baseball player poses swinging a bat in photo studio for Sports Illistrated does anyone say, "hey were is the 95 mph fast-ball?" They were not trying to pass it off as live action wakeboard shots. Heck, they did a whole video to show how they did it.
Old     (alija_bos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-11-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
I'm not one to hate on someone for trying something new.. but I would certainly be more impressed if it was real riding and the high powered lights were on chase boats..
Old     (diversity)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-11-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is officially lamer than rollerblading.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-11-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
this isn't lame but posing on a rail for an ad is? go figure.
At least these guys tightened the rope...
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-11-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
I think it's cool.

He wanted a different way to get shots of wakeboarding. He's not trying to push it off as real action shots of wakeboarding.

One of the amazing parts of wakeboarding is the aesthetics. It looks pretty cool to have the water flowing, spraying, etc. in shots and this is offering a different take on that.

I don't get you haters.
Old     (dylan)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-11-2011, 10:04 PM Reply   
I think they shoulda thrown buckets of **** on them, woulda been way more realistic.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-11-2011, 10:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
I don't get you haters.
because some of us don't like it, we're haters? that's lamer than the stupid word, "hater."

not everyone likes everything. what don't you get exactly?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2011, 11:06 PM Reply   
sounds like the guy knows his stuff about wakeboarding and shooting wake "traditionally" too from tubes and what not, which i am sure helped a ton translating over to studio. if it had been just some random guy without that experience it would have been different.

but hey, i aint no photographer...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2011, 1:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
if it had been just some random guy without that experience it would have been different.
so you're saying if it was a random guy w/ no experience, you wouldn't think it's cool, but since the guy has "experience" and "knows his stuff," you do think it's cool.
Old     (yan_tibo)      Join Date: May 2009       02-12-2011, 6:28 AM Reply   
at least do some LEGIT grabs .... u guys should get back on the water and learn how to ride instead of throwing a bucket or water on ur wanna be wakeboader friend IN UR DADS GARAGE !
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-14-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
It is important that wakeboarding get out of the box.. Some people seem so free and creative, but are really in a very oddly shaped box. There are guys who have commented above that have done some amazing stuff on a board, photography and videos. Stuff that I could imagine in a hundred years. So creative, but bound what skateboarding and the wake media says is cool. How can you do a gnarly winch gap in a place that doesn't even seem rideable, but be so unsure of yourself that you won't grab outside of your feet because someone may call you, "Not legit".

Don't do what you do for approval, just do what you do and have a good time doing it.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       02-14-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
its just a shame. trying to fake something like this is like trying to fake snowboarding. its modeling not shredding
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-16-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
Its just cheating. The guy was saying he wanted to make it look like a night shot and mission accomplished but I respect the guys who go out and get shots like that AT NIGHT, doing it properly. That kinda sports photography takes talent, which this guy doesn't have
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-16-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
Well thank God for Canada. I thought wakeboarding was going to be "gay" forever, but lo, our saviors to the north!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-16-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
so you're saying if it was a random guy w/ no experience, you wouldn't think it's cool, but since the guy has "experience" and "knows his stuff," you do think it's cool.
im just sayin that his previous experience shooting wakeboarding i am sure helped. c'mon joe.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-16-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
I think it was really dangerous and set a bad example of the children that could view those guys riding without a life preserver... think of the children
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-16-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
^^^ Haha, I was wondering why nobody mentioned the lack of life jacket yet. Too funny.

I think this project is amazingly creative and it's very cool to see the somebody chose wakeboarding to be the subject. Definitely thinking outside the box as far as marketing the sport. Nice work!
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-16-2011, 10:16 PM Reply   
from a creative standpoint I think it's fantastic. all of those that are bashing it maybe aren't taking it for what it is...an art project. pretty cool.

and legit grabs? really? who cares. hopefully i'll have a chance to ride with some of you someday and i'll make sure to only do non-legit grabs all day long.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-17-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
I think these will really appeal to the mainstream because of all of the raley based maneuvers.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-17-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jealous_soul View Post
from a creative standpoint I think it's fantastic. all of those that are bashing it maybe aren't taking it for what it is...an art project. pretty cool.
I agree. I think a lot of people missed the point of what he was trying to do. Below are other photos from Patrick Hall's website. I doubt very much that there are similar angry threads on soccer, basketball and/or track discussion boards somewhere out there in web land. Although I must admit, as a boater, I'm pretty bent out of shape about that last pic. Both of those rope grabs are soooooo not legit and the guy isn't even wearing real Dockers!!

Name:  PH1.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  PH2.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  PH3.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  PH4.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  73.5 KB
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-17-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbiv View Post
its just a shame. trying to fake something like this is like trying to fake snowboarding. its modeling not shredding
They do this kind of stuff in snowboarding and skateboarding all the time friend..... and don't get me started on how faked modeling is. A lot of those girls are no where near that hot in person.

He said he wanted a commercial look and thats what he got. Most "comercial" shots are faked or staged. From sports to beer etc, etc. There are guys who make a massive living out of faking shots for commercial use.

I myself, as a professional photographer, can appreciate what he did. They are good looking pics from a photography stand point. A little more knowledge of the sport was needed though. But there is potential for some really stunning and creative shots.
Would it be something I would choose to do.... no. I'll try my best at getting the person while they're actually riding. But if some corporation gave me a paycheck and thats what was on order, I wouldn't hesitate. (but there would be no tindy grabbing!)
Old     (daleslear)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-17-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
I expected that the majority of wakeboarders would hate on this method of photography for this sport. The boarders that are stuck in their little boxes know who you are and I appreciate your predicted response to this shoot. I'm thank full though for those that can appreciate the alternative approach we were going for.

With that being said, the objective wasn't to fake the real thing and pass it off as if we were on the water. In fact we were going for something more unrealistic. Something that you'd never be able to capture on the water. If you think you could replicate this on the water, then I'd like to see you try. Might make for an interesting behind the scenes vid.

Think of the mass appeal to this type of style. Close up shot of action to showcase any number of wakeboard and non-wakeboard products. Who cares what kind of trick it is (most people have no idea what a TSFS off axis nine is) but show them a raley and they go crazy for the "SUPERMAN TRICK"!

I don't get the life jacket response? We were in a studio and there's no need for it. I was over concrete. Please explain.

On another note, yes, I was modeling in the studio; however, I'm perfectly capable of landing any raley trick, so eat it.

That's my two cents. Keep the comments flowing!

-Dale (wakeboarder in studio shoot)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-17-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
The life jacket response was a joke because we have had a lot of threads on that topic with heated opinions on both sides lately. Thanks for weighing in on the topic. I'm not sure telling people to "eat it" is your best introduction to the community, but I definitely understand the point you're trying to make.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
is that basketball player hanging on ropes, harness and such ? i'm just sayin.

btw, the soccer, bball and track shots are bad ass.
Old     (daleslear)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-17-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for the response David. You're right, "eat it" might not be the best intro to the community. It's noted.

Joe, that's a good one. If you are interested though check out the behind the scenes video of that shoot. http://fstoppers.com/fstoppers-nikon...nd-ac3-review/

Last edited by daleslear; 02-17-2011 at 3:24 PM.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-17-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
That was easily the worst wakeboarding photo shoot I've seen..
Old     (chucktowncharlie)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-17-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
I don't understand all the hate on these images. I'm a photographer too and I thought the images at the beginning behind the boat looked just as good as most of the images I see of this type of style. Obviously a full time wakeboard photographer probably has a sick portfolio but it looks like they did all of these shots in a single day or weekend...not too bad in my opinion.

As for the second part of the video, they clearly went for a commercial looking image and that's what they got. Obviously no real water splashes would look like that but I think it's okay since it is very stylized and probably would grab the average wakeboarder or person wanting to get into wakeboarding if they say this in their local boating store, subway, or magazine ad. For those of you who said he should have just taken these photos for real behind a boat, please tell me how in the world would he be able to have 2 side lights, one light directly from behind, and a main light from the front all while on the water? That would require about 3 or 4 boats/waverunners and a lot of powerful lights which I'm sure you don't want near water. You can clearly see the photographer shooting with a single strobe on the water at the beginning of the video so I'm sure he tried it and found it wasn't easy to control.

My son wakeboards and I've taken shots of him telephoto from the boat but even as good of a photographer as I am in the studio, there is no easy way I could imagine lighting this was on the water. One light sure, 5 lights no way!

Last edited by chucktowncharlie; 02-17-2011 at 5:31 PM.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
Oh come on! Those guys worked hard to do something different. Nothing wrong with trying something new. If you don't agree with it, don't do it yourselves. He said he liked commercial images and that's what he produced...good.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-17-2011, 8:29 PM Reply   
dude that soccer kick is SO NOT LEGIT. i bet the ball is hanging by wires or something equally not cool.

at least the mixed opinions are good for a laugh in this thread
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-18-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleslear View Post
With that being said, the objective wasn't to fake the real thing and pass it off as if we were on the water.

-Dale (wakeboarder in studio shoot)
I guess that's why they were throwing buckets of water on you during the shoot. I suppose the water was simply meant to look like some weird kind of rain.

In related news, I'm trying to book IRON MAN for a wakeboard photoshoot next weekend. I just hope he can fit in the bindings.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
is that basketball player hanging on ropes, harness and such ? i'm just sayin.

btw, the soccer, bball and track shots are bad ass.
What are you saying? Once you add harnesses then it's no longer okay? I'm pretty sure the soccer ball is on a "harness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter_WW
That was easily the worst wakeboarding photo shoot I've seen..
Napoleon, Like anyone can even know that.

Last edited by joshugan; 02-18-2011 at 1:21 PM.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-18-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
That was utterly horrific. He didn't photograph wakeboarding. He took pictures of dudes strapped to boards, hanging from ropes, making terrible faces.

It's the equivalent of claiming that you're "giving a new twist" on nature photography whilst taking pictures of pink flamingo lawn ornaments.

I'd rather watch Tony Finn do fashion airs all day than watch another second of this tripe.
Old     (chucktowncharlie)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-19-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
@SCBrips, I think that is exactly the point. I don't think pink flamingo lawn ornament photos could ever be landscape...they'd be advertising images or pop art or something.

I don't think this kid is saying this is wakeboarding! I think he's simply saying this is commercial style photograph with the subject being wakeboarding. Surely you can see the difference right?
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-19-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
Come on guys, this is wakeboarding... don't think outside of the box, don't grab your board in the wrong spot, don't try to create a new type of photo, don't use a backpack cam, don't spin on sliders, and don't put out videos unless you are beyond amateur status. Oh the lessons that I have learned from this community. Eat it! Haha
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-19-2011, 5:35 PM Reply   

I love all the product placement too
Old     (daleslear)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-01-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
Just remember that if you ever find yourself in Charleston SC and need a pull, call Trophy Lakes, get my info and lets ride. If you want to do a studio set, I could probably work that out as well, but I'm actually talking about behind a REAL boat, Mastercraft or Malibu. hehe. The invite goes out to everyone. Trophy will also be putting a lot more obstacles in the water this spring. Great place to ride. Here's there site.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-01-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
plain stupid..
wakeboarding is raw. not fake like this.
it may be studio, but that doesn't represent wakeboarding.

dumb. sorry.
Old     (cramm)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-07-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
I liked the way the pics came out. Great idea!