Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (KimmyJean5150)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-15-2012, 11:46 PM Reply   
I'm planning a trip to Hollywood, FL in early August. I know this may sound stupid but (to people who ride Ski Rixen) have there ever been sitings of alligators IN the cable park? Does anyone know how they protect against alligators getting in the water there? Also, are poisonous snakes a threat? I've never rode in FL and have no locals to ask. Please only serious answers, I am from Arizona and don't have those kind of worries here at our lakes so I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or if it's a logical fear and need to decide if I'm gonna send my board out there or not.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-16-2012, 5:18 AM Reply   
You'll be alright, yes Florida is heavily populated with gators and snakes it is rare to find them on places heavily populated by people. They don't want to be around you or attack you and typical attacks are in self defense. The cable lakes are also small enough that any gator would probably be spotted rather quickly and removed from the lake. Florida is good about removing gators from public waterways. I've never seen either on any of the cable lakes here. Be cautious of course but don't let it bother you, enjoy your trip and have fun riding! You'll be fine.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-16-2012, 5:26 AM Reply   
Yes we have gators in FL. However at the cable parks, like the poster above said, they get spotted very quickly. Trappers remove them quite quickly before they become a nuisance or get spotted by public. Gators are more active dawn & dusk and in April/May which is their mating season. They dont like heavy traffic areas. No worries.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
in the 8 years of riding at rixen I've never seen a gator. we do have some big water moccasins though but they have never bothered anyone. I did have a snake swim onto my board once when I was swimming back to shore but it wasnt a mocassin. I happen to really hate snakes
so that was a bad day for me lol. but nothing to fear, you will be perfectly safe.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-16-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
in the 8 years of riding at rixen I've never seen a gator. we do have some big water moccasins though but they have never bothered anyone. I did have a snake swim onto my board once when I was swimming back to shore but it wasnt a mocassin. I happen to really hate snakes
so that was a bad day for me lol. but nothing to fear, you will be perfectly safe.
Way to scare the crap out of him! Lol

Id actually rather have a gator in the water than a moccasin. Just saying
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-16-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
^^^^ agreed
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
^^^^^double agreed
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
I did see a turtle at odub years ago with an old faded out OWC sticker on it's shell!!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
my bad, to help clear her mind, NO snakes are not a threat at Rixen and when they do see them, they catch them.
Old     (KimmyJean5150)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-17-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
Ok, well I don't wanna miss my opportunity to ride cable (since we don't have one here in AZ) so I will take my chances lol! I'm sure the reward will be way worth the stupid fear I have that I really shouldn't be worried about. I really appreciate your truthful answers and it has put me at ease. I guess it will be one of those things you just don't think about while in the water. Thanks again guys!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-17-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Watch out for sharks though if you visit the beaches! Theyre poppin up everywhere! Just kidding, not sure how long ur down here for but theyre a few other cable parks to ride at as well i ur interested.
Old     (KimmyJean5150)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-17-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
OMG sharks are my ultimate fear! The only surfing I'll be doing is wakesurfing LOL! Naw but seriously I was wondering about that; which parks are heavily "ruled" by the locals. I don't really wanna be in an atmosphere like that. I just wanna have fun. Also, are there any others close to Hollywood that you would recommend other than ski Rixen?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-17-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
You have 4 in FL (others are in Orlando, Tampa & Fort Myers) ive only been to a few of them and Im biased towards one but everyone is chill. Dont worry about the locals, they welcome newbies out there. Orlando tends to be more crowded but its also in much higher of a traffic area.

Its not like ur a tourist coming to surf our local spot and stealing peoples waves lol

Oh and you have a better chance of being hurt driving to your local mall than being attacked by a shark.
Old     (KimmyJean5150)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-17-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Koool, I can't wait to check out your guys' parks. I'm glad to know there isn't anything to worry about. Thanks a bunch for all the info. I'm looking forward to having some fun out there in a few weeks!
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
I ollied one when I was there in march
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
Sounds like you won't be falling much!

If the danger was that great there would not be thousands if not millions of people in in Florida waters and you would be hearing it in the news. Keep that in the back of your mind and enjoy.