Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Here are some pictures of my new balsa wood wakesurf board. I am doing a shred stixx comp1 combo ja mako build. It's going to be a quad, and the length, width and nose are ja mako. The tail, fins and rocker are comp1.

The wood came from south america and took 5 months to get to me through customs etc... I am really scared to screw it up. It was a christmas gift and it was very expensive. It's super light I will weight it tomorrow.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            02-24-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
That's going to be gorgeous!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
Tail rocker is too extreme so that will be my first step after cutting it out. How thick should I leave it? You really like the design? I think it will amazing looking and hopefully she will surf great too! If not she will be wall art!
Old    surfdad            02-24-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Yeah - I noticed the rocker was different. It looks like the apex is off a bit too, but you should be able to match that - might mean redrawing the outline though.

The Balsa, when glassed, I'm pretty sure will be a tad bit heavier than your foam'ie - I'd go 1/8" or so thicker than your foam board. If at all possible, match the rails to your daily ride, so that it feels mostly the same. Then don't taper your rail bands as much as the template board...which will leave the extra thickness.

There is no better look than wood! Wait e.wood! :-)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
The outline is hard to see but the measurements are equal on each side of the board. I am going to cut it a little big and sand it perfect. I drew the lines to take random measurements to make sure it was even on both sides. And there are a few different lines some are right and some are off:-)

What do you mean by template board? I plan to match the rails of my comp 1.
Old    surfdad            02-24-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
:-) Measure twice cut once! Good job on the lines and markup. In regards to the template board - I was just referring to that Comp 1 you were working with in the pictures.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-24-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
Sweet! I've been waiting to see this since I saw you mention it a while back!

Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'm just super nervous to mess it up! Should be cut to shape tonight and should have pictures tomorrow.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
What do you mean by taper rail bands?
Old    surfdad            02-24-2010, 8:43 PM Reply   
I'm looking forward to the pictures - WW is shutting the forums down for a few days, I think tomorrow, would love to see them before that!

The rail bands are just the preliminary cuts you'll make on the deck side to taper the dome down to the rails. Typically a single planer width :-) I normally do two - one that is from the inside edge of the rail thickness and then the other from the inside edge of the first band, inside towards the stringer. Then you can blend those two flat cute into a gracefully (hopefully :-) ) curved taper into the rails.
Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-24-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
haha i thought the rocker looked tight. have fun making it! im gonna watch so i know what to expect in a couple months
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
Honestly I am going to sand the whole thing. I don't have access to a planer. I might use a belt sander on the areas where lots of material needs to be removed. I guess I could use my router to do the edges.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-25-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
So rough cut is done, it weights 12.2 pounds. I think I can shave about 40-50% or so of that off. I would like to get it down to around 6-7lbs. Here are some pictures. You can see how thick the blank is. Next is trying to get the rocker right.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            02-25-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
The grain on that has great character - I'm liking that ALOT. Also that double bump brings the tail in nicely. Thanks for posting up the pics!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-25-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Yeah I also like the bumps. I don't even know what they are for:-)
Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-25-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
:-) SAWEEEETTTTTT
Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-25-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
have you decided on the fin set up yet?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-25-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quad, I am going to copy locations and angles of the comp1. Shred Stixx gave me permission:-)
Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-25-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
BIG TIME. gonna be fun!
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-25-2010, 11:19 PM Reply   
That is a nice shape, it looks great!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-26-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Surfdad,
When I put the boxes in I could use 3/4 front and back? Any reason not to? Normally SS uses 1/2 in the rear. What was the name of that really small fin that I could use as the two rears? I can't seem to find it on the interweb:-)
Old    surfdad            03-02-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Solid Balsa doesn't pressure dent like foam, so all you're looking to do is seal the board from water. Like you concluded, 4oz is more than enough to accomplish that. I don't think I'd go to the extra expense of S glass, E glass is sufficient and probably drapes a tad better, IMO.

Are you going with polyester for that super glossy look?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-02-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Thanks, I need good drap because of the crazy corners etc... I think I will use polyester. Do you have a brand or type you like?
Old    surfdad            03-02-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Sylmar 249A for the lam coat. Foam EZ carries the stuff here. You can find it at just about any supply shop.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-02-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
How many yards of glass would you buy?
Old    surfdad            03-02-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
Length x 2 Assuming you went with the standard JaMako length of 4'11" x 2 = close to 10 feet, so you'd go with 4 yards if it was in a width less than 50". If you can find 50" width, then 2 yards, you'll split that width into two 25" pieces 6 feet long.

The little bit extra will give you room for laps.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-03-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Here are some shaping pics
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            03-03-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
It's gorgeous Duffy.
Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-08-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
awesome! you're making great progress
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Dont want to hate, it looks really kewl... but rainforest wood?
WHERE DOES BALSA WOOD COME FROM?
Balsa trees grow naturally in the humid rain forests of Central and South America. Its natural range extends south from Guatemala, through Central America, to the north and west coast of South America as far as Bolivia.
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~pedro/ncientif...s/techbal.html
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-10-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
Balsa is a wood we can grow and harvest easily. Much better than nasty foam. Quote from the guys website.

"We construct high quality balsa blanks and custom balsa boards to your specifications. Every single board we make is a unique, one of a kind wave rider that is truly a work of art. We deliver you top quality, lightweight balsa blanks and custom surfboards with premium balsa wood from Ecuador, the world's best climate for cultivating this fast growing, highly useful and ecologically friendly tree"
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-06-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
Great looking board, any updates?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-06-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
More to come this weekend.