Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-14-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
I�m going to start out by admitting I don�t know everything about wakeboarding, but the Slingshot boards seem to go against everything I know. Like in snowboarding, the more flex a board has, the less snappy it is when you ollie, so you dont get as much pop. And like the CWB platinum boards, they are stiffer and therefore pop harder, but also land harder. So how do the Slingshot boards that are more flexible than the regular wakeboard pop better? I�m not trying to slam them or anything, I am just curious.

And why does WW turn my quotation marks into question marks?
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
I think it is your computer making the extra marks. It seems to do it on a couple other's computers as well.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-14-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
It's sold as a different kind of ride, similar to what you're buying when you purchase a Hyperlite Roam or a Ronix Covenant. I think they call them flexboards.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-14-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
Dave are you sure about that.... I thought they were really pushing them as the NEW STYLE of wakeboards... I mean Colling wright and Jeff Mckee are using them as there MAIN wakeboards, not just something to play around on... The roam/covenant are mostly used for rails or to just go out and goof around....

Thats just what I have heard about them....

Maybe an interview with them would be cool... see what they have to say about the new stuff...

--CHRIS

(Message edited by gdillyfunk69 on March 14, 2007)
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-14-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
I've heard both that they have "more pop" and "softer landings"

I would like to try one out myself. I don't see them as a replacement for the roam or covenant though.. it's a different thing.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-14-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
The softer a board, the more work it takes to get height off the wake.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-14-2007, 11:06 PM Reply   
I guess I didn't word that very well. I didn't mean to say that they are meant to ride like a Roam/Covenant. I just meant that they were a different type of ride from the traditional wakeboard. Collin Wright said that it's the board he's been waiting for for 15 years.

I haven't ridden one myself, so I'm not sure what it's all about.
Old     (bwog21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2007, 11:18 PM Reply   
personally i think the reason a board with more flex would have better pop is because the flex would load the line more. A lot of people don't realize the wake is not a stationary skate ramp the speed we travel at creates a lot of resistance. Same deal with a 3 stage rocker, it is not the kinks that give the pop but they slow the board increasing the load on the line that can snap the rider in the air. cant remember where i heard that but the physics make sence. My opinion from the boards i have ridden i get more pop out of my roam then my 3DS, maybe the flex maybe not. Anyone w/ different opinion feel free to input, it does more good then harm.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-15-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
I don't think they will make it. As a dealer, I contacted them and spoke extensively. They want a very small and exclusive network that does not bode well for introducing a new board style. IMHO most people want to try it first before laying out $800-900 for a new board and bindings. That is simply not going to happen with their current business plan and marketing model. I hope they succeed - the industry needs fresh thinking and new ideas. I am just not confident of it.

The concept and construction techniques sound great. However, without a ride.....
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-15-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
we (AWS) are gonna be demoing some slingshot boards today, so ill report back tomorrow with my thoughts. im super excited to try them out :-)
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-15-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Karl- They have their kite division which is pretty solid to fall back on. They make boards for that sport so I would imagine they don't have alot of extra costs involved to get the wake thing going. I know they are looking into different dealers than the kites though. I bought my SS kite here in WI last year and was interested in trying a board. I hope we get a dealer in the area.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-15-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a corporate contact with Slingshot, I need to holla at em!
Old     (bakesonlinecom)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-15-2007, 11:29 PM Reply   
There is some info at http://www.wakeorigin.com

I have seen the boards and bindings and I would say that the construction is top notch. Concepts are there, just a very different ride and method of doing tricks. I tried on the boots and they are as comfortable as anything coming out this season.

We get to demo them soon...pretty excited to see how they function.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
i wana hear about the demo experience guys. Please post your opinions and experiences as soon as possible. ive got allot of excited curriosity for this company... some negative thoughts and positives too (like most everyone else i suppose)

Speaking of web sites, is there another site for slingshot wakeboards anywhere (like how ronix started out as metomorphiswaterland.com or something like that) the one i go to has not changed since the first time i saw it like 6 months ago. is there more to slingshot than the little thing on this site here? http://www.slingshotwake.com/
Old     (st3vie_b)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
I actually am a kiteboarder that rides uses their gear except for the boards because they completely suck.

Not impressed with the quality of craftsmanship on the kiteboarding side of things so I'm not sure if I should expect much out of their wakeboarding division.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-18-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
i rode a slingshot last week, my review is posted so go check it out