Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (jadeca)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-23-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
just wonderin if anyone else got some bad ding ups, during some runs. a buddy of ours just broke his leg in 3 places and had a rod put in with a wack of screws. we were thinkin it was cuz his bindings where way to tight...
Old     (sunjess)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-23-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
just got back from the lake, blew out my knee as well as smashed my face in the water, felt like I got hit with a baseball bat, inside of my mouth is still bleeding, 4 hours later
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
Severely dislocated right shoulder, Broke my fibula in two places, and slicing my eyelid open calling for 4 stitches (having someone put stitches in your eyelid really sucks). Those are probably my worst three..... every one on someone elses board. Lesson = Ride your own gear and make sure it fits properly!

Oh yeah and around 3-5 concussions.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-23-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
my worst wakeboarding injury was when the board hit me in the head right above the hair line and i had to get 4 stitches. not that bad compared to these though.

(Message edited by homedawg678 on September 23, 2007)
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-23-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
took the board to the face on a landing and broke my jaw with a sever dislocation. 8 wks wired shut and 4 more with brackets. I still have a plate and 4 screws.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-23-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
compound tib/fib

titanium rod + 3 screws

no walking for 2.5 months

DVT

that one sucked
Old    petey20            09-24-2007, 4:55 AM Reply   
Broken Femur last Sept doing a Tantrum. 1-Titanium Rod, 2-Different Hospitals, 3-Screws, 5-surgeries, 10-Min Helicopter Ride, 13-Days in the hospital.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-24-2007, 5:03 AM Reply   
I HATE THESE THREADS!!!!
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-24-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
AHH!
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-24-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
marcus,
how did you do that on a tantrum? under rotate or over rotate? i thought it was a pretty safe invert.

i have been working on a tantrum, my first invert, and have under rotated a few times and came down a little hard on my inside leg, but nothing like that.
Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       09-24-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
These threads make me want to give it up... :-(

I have severely sprained my ankle and not walking normal for 3 months makes me consider getting a fishing boat.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-24-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
AAAAAAHHHH!!!! That last pic makes me want to just carve or do surface tricks. WOW!
Old     (jaredther6er)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
How fast are you guys going? I just started wakeboarding this summer with the family. I usually go around 19, and my kid & wife around 17. I'm sure we could still get hurt, but I never thought you could get hurt like you guys.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
i usually ride about 23 or 23.5, i am sure most people on here ride about that same speed or faster.

still marcus has me scared. i rode today and did not try my tantrum. i would still love to hear how that happened.
Old    petey20            09-26-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
When I landed, my left foot came out of the boot and my right foot stayed in. When I hit the water the front tip of the board basically came up and hit my shoulder. The force and torque of the board snapped the bone outward. It was all really a blurr. All I know is that when I grabbed my leg it felt like mush. The rollers from all the boat traffic caused a lot of pain, but I had a good crew with me that took great care of me.

We were going like 23-24 mph.

It's been a little over a year and it's still not 100%. I did a lot more wakeskating this summer. Nothing wake to wake. Hopefully next summer I'll be ready to charge it again, but I think I'm going to stay away from that trick. It seems to be one that causes a lot of injuries...legs, knees, ankles, etc, but after reading all the threads, this sport in general seems to really mess you up physically. It's too bad that its such a fun sport.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-26-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
My injury was one foot in, one foot out on a scarecrow. My right foot got pulled out of the boot when I cased the wake on the other end of the board. All my weight then came down on my left leg, and there was likely some twisting going on. Also I think I might have injured the bone the week prior hitting kickers real hard...needless to say, it is a really weird feeling when you reach down to your leg, and it feels like a stump with your bones poking out!

I was going my usual speed of 23.5

I have not tried the trick since. I did ride hard for the next year or two afterwards, but now I ride pretty easy, and barefoot a lot more, because I find it is easier on my body!

(Message edited by timmy on September 26, 2007)
Old     (nwa)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-26-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
Ruptured Bicep in my right arm in July. Happened from leaning back on a off landing of a 3, AFTER the handle had left my hands. What a jerk.

Surgery on Aug 2nd to re-attach the bicep to my elbow was successful, and I went out riding last week one handed. At least I was on the water. I am bummed I am missing the warm weather riding time.

Lesson learned: If you are falling back, keep your arms in front of you. Better yet, keep the handle in your hands where it belongs.
Old     (jhmorgan)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
Just broke my nose yesterday and got a mild concussion. Pretty painful but not like that leg..

(Message edited by jhmorgan on September 26, 2007)
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-26-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
broke growth plate in knee, pulled stuff behind knee, 3-5 concussions, broke big metatarsil in foot on a bat wing, broke finger, hyper extended leg on raley and still isnt the same
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
i tore my pec last fall on just a big simple heelside w2w jump. when coming down on the other side, i was using my back arm for balance, it caught in the water while i was going fast and it tore my pec and shredded the tendon. i had surgery in january. they removed my tendon and attached my muscle straight to the bone. it has held good all summer, it took me a long time to build my confidence back though, about half the summer.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
note to self : keep both feet in the bindings.

marcus and tim, that really sucks. i may have to retire to wakesurfing soon.