Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    aaron_bell            08-03-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
Have any of you ever really felt bummed to a point of getting out of the sport as a result of a poor boating season and just being to busy with things.

I mean this season we've only got out 5 times with the exception of next week is a vacation that is souly for boarding, 7 days worth! I can't wait!!!

But as a whole the weather here in Ohio has been pretty wet and sucky and life got busy. So you sit and think, man is it worth it to have a $30k boat? Or should you just sell it and buy a street rod?

Any of you very have those kind of thoughts??
Old    edward            08-03-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
last year kinda sucked for me i mean i got out quite a bit but i never really felt warmed up didn't really progress but this year was the opposite from my first time out felt good and i've landed 3 new tricks and close to a couple more. even with alittle more rain then usuall (i'm in southern michigan so i got some of the same weather) i still go out and this year i've been stoked to ride more than ever.just go out and ride unless its something bad like lightning rain drops don't really hurt at 22mph unless they're really heavy (they hurt at 40 when i occasionally barefoot tho). don't sell the boat its way better than the street rod in my mind. by the way i just got my new board today and i wanna go ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    aaron_bell            08-04-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
Thanks Ed! I agree boarding is my first love too!
Old    jeff_h            08-04-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
Its hard for me to think that I want to board more after I broke my ankle last saturday. When I look at my board I know that I love the sport but then I remember what happened. Did anyone else feel this way after an injury? were you hesitant to ride again?
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       08-04-2004, 4:42 PM Reply   
yeah, last summer i had my front teeth go thru my lower lip and into my knee causing me to get 22 stitches (12 on the inside of the lip, 10 on the inside). my knee didnt need any stitches. it happened on an easy w2w, but i landed on some crazy rollers causing the board to shoot up while my body was going "down" to cushion the landing. my knee busted me in the mouth. actually it didnt hurt too bad. i thought i had just busted my lip until i got in the boat. anyway--- i got a little nervous for a while any time i had to cross rollers after that, whether it was a d up or anything else. oh, and the scar is dead sexy by the way---it looks kinda like harrison ford's---HAHA!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-04-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Yeah Jeff after a pretty good concusion I felt that way. 1st invert I threw after took a little bit to get the b**ls. But when I fell with no problems I was right back into it.

The only time I thought about selling my boat was watching a friend hit a sand bar at about 30 mph and see his wife catapulted into and over the windshield. Landing in front of the boat after doing a front roll in the air. She had a very bad gash on her arm but it could have been much much much worse.

After having that image in slow motion in my head it made me think. Is it really worth it? But I got over it and so did she. We are heading back to the scene of the accident "Delta" on Labor Day weekend. Which for them is the 16th year in a row!
Old    edward            08-04-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
i think i will be alittle more cautious of the sandbars on my lake this weekend. that would suck
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-04-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
I'm defitely feeling that way now.

I broke my tibia and blew out my knee in early June. I'm into my sixth week post surgery. Riding and being out on the water is one of my favorite things in the whole world, but at what cost to me? All of this happened after recovering from a broken back from the season before. I haven't quite decided what I'm gonna do when I recover from this injury. I'm 26 and I can't be doing this to myself every year. I might just have to take up surfing and wakeskating and just learn to enjoy the scenery and watching my friends go big. I know I'll end up back on my board, but I'm already scared to death of that first w2w.

I do know one thing, shortly after surgery the co-owner of my boat asked me if I wanted to sell it and I looked at him like he was crazy.

Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-05-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   
Living in Northwestern PA has got to be the worst area for wakeboarding. The weather which normally is marginal at best, has been awful for the last three summers. If it isn't raining and storming, it has been cold. As a group, my friends and I have considered moving south. But for now, we can only hope for a decent August and September. I guess this makes us appreciate wakeboarding more when we do actually get out.
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       08-05-2004, 11:45 PM Reply   
Can't say that I'm in the same boat Aaron, sorry to hear you're not getting out enough. Even with my boat being out of commision for 5 weeks (missed all of July, just got it back today) I've stll managed to get in 40 days this season as of today. Definately think I'll reach my goal of 75 days this year (shooting for 100 next year assuming there are no major problems that keep the boat out of the water like this year...).
Old    essy            08-06-2004, 1:56 AM Reply   
Feeling really bummed out rite now - broke my left big toe (and the nail as well) from soccer the other day. Forget about putting on the bindings, I have problems putting body weight on the left foot.
Anyone has any tips on wrapping the wound so that I can go wakeboarding this weekend? I'm thinking about using duct tapes and saran wrap...
Old    airjunky123            08-06-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
I'm there Aaron. I live in West Texas and we have been drought-stricken for the last five years. The lake I live on has been too low for boating for the last three years. Before that, I was on the water 3-4 times per week and I am now limited to riding only 2 or 3 times per month. Now the nearest boatable lake is 40 miles away and has such a high salt content that I hate to even put my boat in it. (It's stocked with saltwater redfish.) I stayed optimistic for the first couple of years, but a lot of my riding buddies have moved away, died, quit, etc. The lakes surrounding this area in each direction caught a lot of water this spring and summer, but they are over 80 miles away. So, with no relief in sight, I recently decided to sell my boat and save myself the monthly payment and insurance. If and when my lake ever does fill up, I guess I'll pick up a used comp boat and not invest the type of money I spent on the last one. On the bright side, I'm quite sure that as soon as I sell, we'll get the 50-year flood.
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-10-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
Fortunately I get out on the lake a lot, but on the days when I can't go, weather is terrible, or even after a ride, I've gotta do something wakeboarding related. The first time I rode my board I fell in love with the sport. I live in Manitoba so my season this year started on last weekend of june and will probably end end of August, maybe 1st week of September. (I hope). So the winter pretty much kills me. Anyway wakeboarding rocks. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!
Old     (skurfer666)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-10-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
Man, i hear ya loud and clear dude. I moved to Muskoka thinking I'd be riding like no ones business. But man, I work my arse off all the time, my friends work too, our schedules are always like screwed up: I work day they work nights and vice versa. It definitely gets depressing. But in all honesty, it makes me appreciate my time that I do get on the water. No matter what I'll always want to ride and loneliness makes the heart grow fonder (sorry for being so gay)