Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            09-07-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Any Utah residents able to cast some light on this story?

http://www.kcsg.com/story.aspx?id=1473

"New Rules on the Water

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Multiple carbon monoxide deaths over the past few years have prompted new boating rules in Utah.

From now on, a boat cannot be operated while someone is on the swimming platform, even if the boat is not moving and the engine is idling.

It is also illegal to tow people within 20 feet of the back of the boat.

And boats can no longer pull people in developed marinas or designated wakeless speed zones."

I'm mainly interested in the 20 foot rule quoted by the news station. There is no link to the legislation and I don't find anything on Utah's Depatment of Natural Resources web site about the change, NOR could I find anything in the 2006 regular or special session passed legislation that reflected this new law.

I'd appreciate any link to the text of the legislation.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-07-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
looks like no Powell trips next year

does it say anything about riding ropeless?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
R651-224-2. Unlawful Methods of Towing.

No person shall operate a motorboat or have the engine of a motorboat run idle while a person is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step or swim ladder of the motorboat or while a person is being towed in a non-standing position within 20 feet of the vessel. These restrictions do not apply when a person is occupying the swim platform, swim deck, swim step or swim ladder while assisting with the docking or departure of the motorboat, while exiting or entering the motorboat, or when a motorboat is engaged in law enforcement activity.
Old    surfdad            09-07-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
I can't find anything! I'm hoping it's a misprint and that Utah has adopted the revised NASBLA model law. So far...I honestly don't know what part of this is accurate, or what the legislation says.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/bulletin/2006/20060715/28826.htm
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Jeff, you noticed the NON-STANDING position part of my above post correct???

So no worries about wake surfing in Utah.

Though it should be noted that Powell is full of fresh water great white sharks, which everyone knows are far bigger and more aggressive than their salt water cousins.... So better safe than sorry, go to Lake Mead.....
Old    surfdad            09-07-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Thanks EJ

The law contains this component:

of the motorboat or while a person is being towed in a non-standing position within 20 feet of the vessel

Would allow wakesurfing, as far as I can tell.

whew!
Old    surfdad            09-07-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Sorry EJ, when I saw your link I didn't see that you had already pointed out the non-standing provision.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
Looks like you can do a swim deck start, since you would be "exiting" the motorboat, but you can't do the surf style get-up, since you'd be starting on your stomach. Clearly, the swim deck start is more dangerous than the surf style get-up. Don't you guys just love these governmental agencies?
Old    surfdad            09-08-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Actually Jim, with all of the oversight agencies I've checked with, that have adopted this specific wording regarding swim deck and CO the interpretation has been that a swim deck start is illegal.

I specifically asked the folks in Utah for their interpretation of the legislation and this is what they had to say specifically regarding swim decks:

"2. The operation of a motorboat, even with the engine at an idle, when a person is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim steps or ladder is not permitted. This includes the towing of a person(s), who is in a non-standing position, within 20 feet of the vessel. This restriction does not apply when a person is assisting with the docking or departure of the motorboat from a dock, when a person is entering or exiting the motorboat from a dock, or when a motorboat is engaged in a law enforcement activity.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a serious issue with motorboats. Recent research, studies, and accident reports have shown that carbon monoxide gas can quickly build into high and deadly concentration levels in the areas immediately behind the boat, including the swim platform. This new rule does not allow a boat to be operated with a person sitting or standing on the swim platform of a motorboat, even when the engine is idling and the boat is not moving. It also restricts the activity of "teak surfing" or towing a person on a tube or similar device within 20 feet of the back of the vessel. However, this rule does not restrict the activities of "wake skating" or "wake surfing," towed activities where the person being towed is standing and riding the wake of the vessel outside the areas of high carbon monoxide concentrations."

This is almost identical to the interpretation that was provided me by CA - you can be on the swimdeck to dock or enter from a dock, but not to start wakesurfing.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-08-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
I read in the Salt Lake Tribune about this yesterday. They, not necessarily a legal opinion or source, did not say anything about the "swim deck" only swim platform.

It also said that you can't tow in a wakeless zone near a marina or launch ramp. I have seen this great move several times, towing the kids in a tube right up to the dock next to the launch ramp
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
Jeff, looks like you're right AGAIN!!! Do you think the surf style get-up is legal, since the surfer is only on his stomach for a brief period? Or do you think those enforcing the rules even care? In either case, I intend to always get up that way, since it helps to keep me in shape for ocean surfing.
Old    surfdad            09-08-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
I honestly don't know Jim. By the letter of the law, it's probably illegal, but I don't think it's the legislative intent. I think the intent is just to keep folks a safe distance away from CO sources.

There is a thread over at Tigeowners.com and the following picture was sent to the Parks and Rec's department.

Upload

The person isn't standing, it's crouching and the Park's and Rec's point out that it's just being UPRIGHT that's required. UPRIGHT, I would guess is oppossed to PRONE. Their response:

The sports of wake surfing and wake skating have not been prohibited in Utah. Below is the text of the rule. As long as the person is in an upright position while being towed within 20 feet of a boat--there are no restrictions.
R651-224-2. Unlawful methods of towing
No person shall operate a motorboat or have the engine of a motorboat run idle while a person is occupying or holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step or swim ladder of the motorboat or while a person is being towed in a non-standing position within 20 feet of the vessel. These restrictions do not apply when a person is occupying the swim platform, swim deck, swim step or swim ladder while assisting with the docking or departure of the motorboat, while exiting or entering the motorboat, or when a motorboat is engaged in law enforcement activity.

In your photo it does appear the man sitting on the stern would be in violation of our "riding on unauthorized portions" of the boat law.

73-18-15.1(12) (a) Except as provided in Subsection (12)(b), the operator of a motorboat that is less than 65 feet in length may not exceed a wakeless speed while any person is riding upon the bow decking, gunwales, transom, seatbacks, or motor cover.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Dave Harris
Boating Program Coordinator
Utah State Parks and Recreation