Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
I posted this in the GTR section, but I thought more people would see it here.

Hey my friend and I, well mostly me, are going to try to get a girls wakeboarding club going around here in the tri-cities. I talked to Kathleen of liquid force maven about it a little bit this past weekend and she told me how this girl in Texas started one and got 50 people to join, so Maven sponsored them with demo equipment and stuff like that. But I have no expierence in running a club or anything but really want to get this thing going. Here is what i'm thinking.

I made a list of things I need to do.

Things to do:

Get people to join
Make a MySpace page
Get sponsors
Get publicity (radio, tv, word of mouth, posters, etc.)
Organize events
Create a logo and a name
Make an e-mail account

I havent done much with is yet besides try to think of a cool name because i just thaught of this a few days ago.

So basically what im asking is for ANY suggestions, ideas, comments, or just anything that would give me ideas or something to do. Were going to try to get some kind of a contest locally this summer because we never have them but we have the perfect spot for them.

thanks in advance for all your help. I want the sport of wakeboarding to grow here and it would really help if we had a club to get people riding together. Im goin to college to study business so i can open my own wakeboardin shop around here so i thaught it was a good idea.. let me know what you guys think. thanks again,

Jamie
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-18-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
good luck jamie! let me know how it goes
Old    jaded_goddess            07-18-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
how did you find the girls to even hang with ?? .. i think i've posted on every board and i can't find any chicks in my area into it... actually i'm having a hard time finding any one over 18 into it.. i'm only 23 ... but man i dont think i can hang with high school kids ..LOL i'm in NY btw... if anyone is local????

~elle
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thats the thing, I only have a couple friends that wakeboard. But thats kind of the point and goal of this, is to get more people into it. So well see what happens.

I found someone to design a logo for me once I figure out a name...suggestions anyone? Were located in the Tri-Cities if that helps.

Jamie
Old    patratmkk            07-18-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
I have seen some people on WW that are from your area. Post fliers at your local board shops, grocery stores, sporting good stores, knee brace places(LOL). Places where wakeboarders would be.. Post at the college you are going to.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-18-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
First bit of advice: Don't got to college to open a wake shop. They aren't that tough to run and a college degree will prep you for much more than that. Plus they really don't make money unless you are selling boats & even then...

Second bit: Go for it with the club. We started a club at our school but its for everybody. It might be tough to have a club for only gals. We have around 140 people in our club and for the ladies we do a learn to ride/instructional day. When we take our day trips we often have a ladies boat if they so desire. Besides wakeboarding isn't about excluding anyone, boys & girls can get along!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-18-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
The girls wakeboarding club you are talkin about in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is::
http://www.girlswakeboardingclub.com
Get on the site and talk to them and see if they can help you get it going in your area.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-18-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Most of the girls I've met who wakeboard are girls I met other places and just asked if they wakeboard. Wintertime might also offer up some people who wakeboard, cuz some of the girls I met up on the slopes this past spring. You might want to post something on craigslist too.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
I bought your old board from you for my wife. She rides and a few of her girlfriends ride her board too.

Why are you going to limit yourseld to girls only? It'd probably be easier and better if you had a co-ed club, more members, participats, etc. I think you're on the right track, you just have to set dates and then get the word out. The crowds should grow each time. Good luck with it.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2006, 2:43 AM Reply   
The reason I had the idea of being girls only is so we could get support and sponsored from Maven, which is obvisouly the girls LF team. But yea I was thinkin about that too, havin it be for everyone. I know I would definatly get more of a turnout, but I havent really decided yet.

I also talked to the people in charge of the wakeboard club in texas and she gave me some really good advise.

Oh and stephan, Its not about the money to me, though it would be nice, but ive always wanted to own my own business and what better than wakeboarding. It's not for me, its for the locals that cant afford a boat and need a pull once in a while. Ones that cant afford a $600 set up and for ones who love the sport as much as I do. So its not all for me. I could get into exactly what my shop is going to consist of, what that would be a whole different story.

Red - Hope the board is working for your wife!

Oh one more thing about it being a girls only thing. If it was only girls, I might get sponsored by Maven, but if it was both girls and guys do you think I might be able to get sponsored by Liquid Force, or both??

Thanks,

Jamie
Old     (lakeaustinrider)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-19-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
Check out Wakechicks.com