Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
Liquid Force now has its own online shop. You can buy all their gear right from their site.
Is this fair to board shops and online retailers.
What do you think?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-15-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
That would depend if they are under cutting their own retailers.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-15-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
Well they will have a cost advantage over the competition. Are they going to be as good as buywake/wakeside at servicing and selling individual boards?

Previously if Buywake f's up and you don't get your LF board then you would hate on Buywake and get the same board somewhere else. Now if LF f's up and you don't get your board you would hate on LF and maybe go with a different manufacturer.

I thought they would surely have their full line of products represented on their site, but none of the clothes are for sale through their store.

LF could be tempted to give themselves preferential treatment on restocking their boards and piss of dealers. These dealers may subsequently cancel their accounts if they feel like they are being abused.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-15-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
If you assume a simple supply chain mark up structure then consumer pays $400 for a board, reatiler pays $240 and manufacturer pays $144. LF would make $96 more per sale than a small shop that doesn't have much negotiating power.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-15-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
Are you sure that when you buy from their site it doesn't just send the sale to the nearest dealer to you? I haven't checked the liquid site out but I know that some companies do it that way.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-15-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
^^^ good point and probably one that would be beneficial to all parties.
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-15-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
If I was an owner of a board shop I would be super pissed. How do you compete against the mfg? I could understand a smaller company doing this to get their foot in the door but for an established company like Liquid Force to pull this move blows my mind. I don't think they are gonna undercut the shops and sell all product at full msrp so that'll help.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-16-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Hyperlite does it. They sell the board and then let dealers fill the order. It is not a bad thing.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-16-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Usually when manufacturers do something like this, they pay the local shop a certain percentage based on the location of the buyer. Therefore, the local shop would make money on a sale that they had nothing to do with, but they would be expected to service this customer as if they bought it in there shop. I have no idea if this is how LF does it, but if it is, I'd be stoked if I was a dealer. More sales, less work.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-16-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Im a liquid force dealer myself and this is the first I've heard of this. So far I haven't seen a freakin penny. If this isn't set up to help us out then I'm gone. My shop is already about to close. this would for sure be the nail in the coffin for me.
Old     (maleyb)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
LF is not shipping the order. The dealers get to fill the order. I haven't read through everything yet, but I believe it is the closest dealer to the customer that has the product in stock.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-16-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
you can buy slingshot online through their website, and when i bought my board i just called them up and bought it over the phone through their customer service. it was great!
Old     (wallaced)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Hey guys...

Thanks for the interest in LF.

I wanted to clear this up before it gets any further. LF is NOT selling direct to consumers. Our online store is simply a way to guarantee the consumer can purchase all of our products. If your local dealer doesn't carry a particular item we sell and you can't find it through one of our online dealers, our store will help you find it. The qualifying dealer closest to the consumer that has the product in stock will fulfill the order and will get ALL of the money they normally would. We don't get a cut... we're just trying to make sure everything we sell is available to the consumer. Hope this clears it up a bit.

Also... it just went live, so we have a few more items to add to this program (several apparel items included).

Thanks guys!

Don Wallace
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-16-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
Sounds good!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-16-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
I knew that really smart Don Wallace guy had it all figured out!! :-)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
I have a LF shop. Just got off the phone with my rep and it's actually a pretty sweet deal for the dealers, especially the smaller guys. Everybody needs to contact your local shop about it.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-16-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
its all good. I had no intention of dissing Liquid Force. I will however diss this crap economy. Even if I do have to close the shop my loyalty will still be with liquid force. But seriously everybody who loves this sport, BUY MORE STUFF. even if you don't need it, just buy more stuff from whoever your local shop is. We all need your help!!
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-16-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
What I like most about this, is apparel will be easier to purchase. I find that it's hardest to get clothing from all the companies, or at least their full selection. I like the idea, maybe others will follow suit?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
don! don! he's our man! if he can't do it, no one can!
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-16-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
Nick, I agree. If you can get the apparel easier then it sounds great.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
Now that Wakeworld has given it's blessing, let's http://www.liquidforce.com/online-store-live.htm
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-16-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
is this the same for canada don?
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
That's funny, Hyperlite has a good idea and the rest are quick to capitalize on some one else's idea. Next thing you know LF or Ronix will come out with an adjustable rope and change the name and brag about how innovative their product is! HAHA Is there any original ideas in this industry that aren't stolen by other companies? Oh well, this will help consumers and shops get every product into riders hands! I like the idea.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-19-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
Hyperlite invented online commerce??? I thought Al Gore came up with that idea first. My bad!
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
Bringing out the big guns to show me up huh? Impressive! All this time I thought I was just a little fish in a big sea? Just trying to give credit where credit was due. Hyperlite is to buying wakeboard products on a factory website, like Reed's mustache is to wakeskating. There alot of other people rocking it now, but who did it first and made it look good? Aaron Reed!

I am sure someone will know the answer to this one, and I am sure someone will correct me on it too(if nothing else someone will find a grammatical error), but I bet since Hyperlite has been around since the beginning (and not many of the originals are left) they might be the first ones for wakeboarding ecommerce (maybe before wakeworld, if there is such a thing), even if it was just info and pictures to begin with. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am, and go!
Old     (wallaced)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-19-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
Whyte Runk,

Sorry that we copied Hyperlite and Spy and Apple and Burton and Callaway and Thule and the list goes on... We'll try to come up with some original ideas next time. Glad you like the idea, though.

Don
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-19-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
I'm just saying that it's silly to claim selling boards through a website as any board manufacturer's "idea." That's like saying discussion boards are WakeWorld's idea because we were the first ones in the wakeboarding industry to set one up. Obviously, discussion boards are not our idea and we would never claim that.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-19-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Game, set and match for Don W.
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Come on now, I am just having a lil fun. I am a LF supporter too. And I have Spy sunglasses and a Burton board also. Like I said up above, it gets all of the product out to every rider even if you are living in the boondocks (AKA Paterson,CA) How about we move past this, I really am a supporter of this idea. It is a great way to support riders, support local shops, and support LF (or whatever company decides to use do it the same way) I am sorry that I struck a nerve. Truce?
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
I will bow out and admit I was over exagerating before we have to have a WW wide vote over who was right or wrong. If VLX Envy is on your side I want to be against me too!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-19-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
I probably wouldn't have even responded if you didn't pass yourself off as Joe Unbiased Wakeboarder, but rather put your name and occupation/company affiliation in your profile. It "strikes a nerve" when I see people trying to take advantage of our readers.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-19-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   

quote:

I probably wouldn't have even responded if you didn't pass yourself off as Joe Unbiased Wakeboarder,

uh, you couldn't have used a different name?
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
I didn't put a favorite board or boat on purpose. 90% of the people on here back up a company because thats what they ride, and that doesn't make sense. If you really want to know what I think look at my posts not my profile, take the time to figure out what I say instead of judging my credibility by my binding preference, doctored raley picture or what job I have. I didn't know this was Myspace. I am not taking advantage of anyone, I am expressing my opinion. Isn't that the idea of this site? What name should I use next time for my opinions to be taken seriously? Is there any more information that you need? I thought my occupation was a clever way to say I was a heavy equipment operator. I will change it to heavy equipment operator if it sits better with WW. Lighten up a little bit.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-19-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Wait wait, you have David Williams and Don Wallace and I get a name check? Wow. Did I miss something here?

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on January 19, 2009)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-19-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
If you include the fact that you are affiliated with Liquid Force's competition, it will help us to evaluate the validity of your posts with much more accuracy than we're going to get from the 12 posts you've made using this particular user name. Please stop while you're only this far behind!
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-19-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
This is me backing down, sorry. I am done. Didn't mean to bash any companies just wanted to give a little credit to one of my favorite companies. Sorry, wont happen again.