Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
I'm interested in who's creating the biggest wake and how. Mine is about nipple to shoulder (I'm 5'11") with ~2500Lbs. I'm increasing this weight to 4-5 tons with the addition of a hot tub and internal ballast system. Anyone designing custom foils for boats to use instead of weight? Upload
Old    moh2o            04-02-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
the wake behind the 110' yaught we were surfing behind in Cabo was overhead
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   
Any mods to the 110'?
Old    moh2o            04-02-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
the 4 diesel engines were enough
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-02-2006, 11:29 PM Reply   
What kind of boat Curtis? Wave looks nice in your profile pic!!
Old    surfdad            04-03-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Agreed, I like to load my red yacht with ballast, normally gold bullion (the blue yacht throws an unacceptably poor wake), have the crew deploy the hydrofoils and surf around Aruba. :-) Stopping only to luncheon with Pamela Anderson and Jacques Chirac :-) I'll be sure to get pictures from the swim deck pointing up the next time my schedule allows. :-) Anyone have something bigger than that? :-)

(Message edited by surfdad on April 03, 2006)
Old    moh2o            04-03-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Shows you how many times I've been on a yacht. (I couldn't even spell it) It was a pretty surreal experience though-they spent more money on gas towing us around the harbor then I make in a month.
Old    surfdad            04-03-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
4 diesels? I wonder what the fuel consumption would be on something like that.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Jeff.
So how come you only let me ride the goofy side on your Blue yacht?
Old    surfdad            04-03-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Dennis...need you ask? Goofy = bad yacht. BTW Dennis, goofy or stupid side? I get confused with those terms. :-) That was a hoot getting off the lake yesterday wasn't it? It felt like the wind kicked up overhead waves! :-)

When are we going to get Floyd Smith on the boat? I want to get pictures of a surf legend behind my yacht. :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Jeff,
I guess small craft warnings mean something after all. I think that Floyd would be a warm weather surfer IMO. We will set that up when and if it warms up. Still think we can get him to judge a wakesurfing contest. I ride both sides so am I only stupid part of the time?
Dennis
Old    surfdad            04-03-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Were Small Craft Advisories issued yesterday?! It certainly was a bit on the rough side. :-) We are a crazy bunch. So shall we agree for the future that if the dock is broken, there are more than 2 full trees floating in the lake AND the white caps on the windward side crest above the transom that we limit our ride to less than 4 hours? :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-03-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
If we were to be able to see the dock we would not have been out even 1 hour. I am surprised that the yacht would be so affected by small wind chop. We need more ballast maybe. Please add more gold bullion next time.
Old     (dentard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-03-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
Brian- it's an X-Navy 36' vessel.

Jeff- Are the Walker surfboards man? And where are you riding to have a small craft advisory?

CaSkimmer- How did you set up the 110' experience?
Old    surfdad            04-04-2006, 5:18 AM Reply   
Hey Curtis, not sure what you are asking me about the Walker boards. I enjoy Mike's ride and James, my son, loves them.

We went out on New Hogan Res. on Sunday, Northern Cal...the weather here of late has been crazy! What did I read, we've had record rainfall in March something like 20 days straight. There is a ton of debris on the water from all that rain. Anyway, when we launched, it was windy, but not SCA windy...we spent most of the day riding along a sheer face that blocked the wind. It started to shower around 5:00pm and so we packed up and headed back for the dock. Well, as we got into unshelterd waters there are some white caps cresting over the back of the boat. When we got to the one dock the park has available, it's broken at one of the hinges. :-) It was funny. I didn't realize that they had issued SCA until Dennis mentioned it above.
Old    moh2o            04-04-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
It was one of those spur of the moment but typical Cabo experiences. A friend of ours is the ship's captain and good friends of the owners. We're trying to go back down again this summer just to do some more big boat wakesurfing and tow-ins (the last one was a skim trip)
Old    vaboatsurfer            05-16-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
I've been successful at creating a larger wake by duct taping a row of bricks in a linear direction near the hull, this helps increase the wake at the breakpoint.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-17-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
I said on a previous thread that I prefer aircraft carriers. We move all of the airplanes to one side then put the crew on that same side in life boats hanging of the side of the ship. Here a picture of the last time we we're out. It was awfully nice of W to lend us a few of the big boats for a day. I heard we used 0.000001 of the reactor core for the entire outing.

No mater what you do there's always someone with a bigger boat.

Upload
Old    surfdad            05-17-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Ed! You've been holding out on us! You and W are tight? You do realize that W and I share that name. :-) Tell me, are you going to be using the Aircraft carrier at your Scioto Wakefest? :-) Will you need a variance, because it appears to be a tad bit over 23 feet. :-)
Old    surfdad            05-17-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
Hey Ron, when you state:

"in a linear direction near the hull"

Linear = lengthwise, got that, but the near the hull is confusing me. Everything below the deck is the hull, right? Are you taping the weight close to the middle? Along the side that will list? I didn't quite follow where you were placing the weight.

Also, just to recap - you have discovered that more weight - lower is helping you develop a better wake?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-17-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
That would be a site, an aircraft carrier on Griggs. Griggs is 300 to 600 feet across and 12 to 20 feet deep. I think an aircraft carrier would effectively make a wide - multilane bridge across the reservoir.