Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    swerver            02-28-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
Between an Air Nautique 196 (or 206) or a Calabria Cal-Air, which would you choose, and why? Do not start a flame war... I only want honest discussion keep it clean!

Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
All your boats are belong to us.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-01-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Cal-Air or Cal Air Pro V
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-01-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
are they the same year, options, condition, etc. you gotta give more info if you want a true comparison.
Old    swerver            03-01-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Lets just say for now they are both a 2001. and they have the same size motors (approx at least 315hp) They both have perfect pass. Pro V is just too big for me, and I like DD boats.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-01-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Nautique- if you're going to ski at all, this boat has got it and you can't beat their reputation.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
I have quite a bit of time in/behind a Cal-Air and have nothing but good things to say about the boat. Does it have the pure vert ballast?

That said, if all things were equal as far as price and options go, it would be tough for me not to go with the 196.

I have not researched it at all, but it would be hard for me to believe that the CC does not book 30% higher than the Calabria. The factory towers that Calabria was using back then were butt ugly and were not well liked(my friend has an Air Boom tower, not factory).
Old    swerver            03-01-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Yeah, it has the Purevert ballast. I might even pick up an newer cal air, with the boss tower. I will not buy one with a metcraft tower. The new titan tower is sweet.

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
I think it comes down to personal choice then. Again, all things being equal. Options are the same, boat fit your size requirements, both are the same as far as condition, hours ect. You don’t have a strong feeling one way or the other as far as engine/transmission manufacturer….and neither one produces a ski/wakeboard wake that fits your style better……..you could flip a coin.

I will say this, when/if you ever sell the boat. I firmly believe that you will have more interest in a Nautique due to the name alone. I am not saying that is good or bad, just seems to be the case.

Looks like equally equipped, the Nautique will NADA about 3K higher.

In conclusion, I have a lot of experience in/behind a Cal Air and it is a great boat. I have never been in a 196 or 206 on the water, so I cannot give an opinion related to its performance as far as wake goes. I know the Cal Air has been a great boat for my friend. I know I love my Nautique. So I assume you will be happy with whatever boat you choose.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Before I get the questions related to my “More interest in the Nautique” comment….. I did not say it would sell for more or hold its value better…. I said more interest. The fact is there are MANY people out there that will limit their choices before they even start the buying process. Meaning, they start a boat search and will only look at Malibu, Mastercraft and Nautiques…..

I would guess that this type of boat search could be confirmed by the webmasters(or whatever they are called) at places like boattrader.com and flipsell.com and the searches for boats with the names Correct Craft, Mastercraft or Malibu vs everything else. Again, I am not saying that those three manufactures make the best boats or anything else many may want to infer. It is my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

Before you ask, I will tell you what the best boat out there is…. It is the one that you choose, is paid off and providing you countless hours and great memories at the lake. Second best one is the same as above, but you are still making the payments on it.
Old    swerver            03-01-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Do you think ther eis a difference in the way each boat drives, or how the wakes are, is it a noticeable difference? IMO, I do not like how the nautique drives, it seems to slide through the turns, and I dont have much experience with the CAl-AIR. Having said that, the naut. wakes are nice with just the factory ballast. I have never skied behind a Cal-Air, but I have skied behind a pro V...

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
I have never driven a DD Nautique, so I really cannot give you a educated answer on that.

I have also never skied behind either boat. I enjoy my wake better at wakeboard speeds. The friend with the Cal Air is a sky skier and he prefers his boat…. So as always, it is just what you are use to/prefer ect.
Old    swerver            03-02-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
I would really like to see some videos of someone behind either boat. I found ONE video in wakepics.com of a guy behind the Cal Air (Mark Mickennly) or something like that. Anyone have any videos or pics of riders behind either boat?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-03-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
All your boats are belong to us.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! i know exactly what your'e atlking about!!!!! i thought i would be the only one on here!!!!
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-03-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
I also knew what you were talking about. Guess its the geek in me.

All Your Base

(Message edited by detonate69 on March 03, 2006)