Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-18-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I have done a search on these boards on this site and am having a hard time figuring out if this is a board for me. I just bought the Phase 5 Oogle and really like it so far, but trickboarz really look fun and easy to do 180 surface slides to riding fakie. Is it a easy board to ride in the pocket and do tricks on?

I weigh 185ish 5'9". I should just be happy with the Oogle, but I wouldn't mind have two differnt feel of a board on the boat.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-18-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
nobody has a trickboardz, I guess that answers my question.
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-19-2006, 4:56 AM Reply   
I just got the Mojo XL. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I'll let you know when I do.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-19-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Brandon, I have a Mojo XL, and prefer it over my Broadcast 5.6. However I've never ridden a Phase 5 and so I can't make a meaningful comparison.

I think there's some pretty good sizing information on the Trick Boardz site. I'm 220 and the Mojo XL fits my weight pretty well.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-19-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
thanks guys.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-21-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
I just ordered the surf skate, the videos on the site look amazing. I'm 6'4" about 215. Their site recommended the MojoXL but the videos just weren't as cool. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-22-2006, 4:54 AM Reply   
Rob, definitely let us know how that goes. I would have liked to get the surf skate, but I think I'm too heavy at 230. I wish I could demo these boards.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-22-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
I'm excited, it's supposed to arrive on Saturday, hopefully before I go to the lake. We tried it last weekend on an old wakeboard, it was fun but we couldn't drop the rope, it will be a little learning experience.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       06-26-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
ROB,
Have you tried out your trick boardz yet. Just courious. I want one, but want some feedback first.
Thanks,
Brannon
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-09-2006, 5:04 AM Reply   
The videos shown on the Trick Boardz website are largely just family videos; no trick photography. Adam Roten (my son-in-law) is an outstanding rider and makes it look so easy. The videos are a couple of years old now and he has gotten even better. We all have. We found that the longer you ride Trick Boardz, the smaller board you can ride and the bigger the sweet spot becomes.

I have seen beginners on Trick Boardz do a 180, a 360, or a shuv-it their first time out and I've heard from others (like me) that were not learning as quickly. We offer a 45 day money back guarantee. Only one board has been returned this year. The price of shipping is about the same as renting a demo board.

The Mojo rides similar to the Surf Skate and can even be ridden finless, like the Surf Skate. Since all of our boards have the same concave bottom, continuous rocker shape, when you ride one, you are cross-training for the others. The attached drawing shows the relative sizes of the Mojos and the Surf Skates. A Surf Skate XL would be about the same size as the Mojo regular. Once a bigger rider "masters" the Mojo regular, we will be pleased to make them a Surf Skate XL.

Rob, at 230# the large Surf Skate is probably too small for you, but please prove me wrong.

Larry Mann
www.TrickBoardz.com

Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Ok, so I didn't really get a lot of time on the board but the wake was a decent size. Unfortuantly you may be right about the board being too small for me, Why not make a surf skate XL? I'll try it again this weekend and if it doesn't work I may take you up on the return or try to exchange it.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-16-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Some friends and I have gotten the Phase 5 Oogle to surf good now with out the rope. My wake is med to large (06 VLX) and I am able to surf it for about a block in a half, but my friend Mike is able to surf it until he gets tired. We even handed him a beer and he drank the whole thing before he fell.

I still want another Wakesurf on the boat for a different board to choose from for the ones that can't surf the Oogle board. I am torn between the Mojo, Mojo XL or the Surf Skate board.

I am 185 lbs, 5'9".

What board do you guys think I should buy? Thanks for your help.

Brannon
Old    surfdad            07-16-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Mojo Grande or Surf Skate Large I think would be your best choices. Also, Larry at Trick Boardz has done a great job with his online board recommendation - go to:

http://www.trickboardz.com/#boardSelector

Anwser the wake size and weight questions and viola, the recommendations. Personally I prefer the blunt nose of the surfskate and IMO, the slightly larger width in the tip and tail sections allow better stability after aerial tricks.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-17-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff for your input, Brannon
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-27-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
Guys I just took my surfskate out last night I made a serious effort at it, I put as much weight in the back as possible and the wake was awesome. I'm still learning but I was able to surf for about 10 seconds. It was really cool. I think I definately prefer the skim style anyway. In the end though I'm afraid that the board is just too small for me. I'm hoping they come out with a surf skate XL. Would that be defeating the purpose? Anyway, I'm 6'4" 215. So I hope this helps.
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-27-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
I am 6' 215 and I should be receiving my Shred Stixx Pirhana board tomorrow. I will report on it Monday if you want to wait.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-28-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
I just bought a mojo grande. they didn't have the XL in stock. I am 6'4 weigh 215 and don't have a problem at all riding. I can see why the XL would be better though for my size. My son (150 lbs) gets a much better ride though. He can get back 15 ft. from the swim step. the sweet spot is much bigger than if we are using the Hyperlite landlock