Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
Anyone on here running the Boston SPG555 in their boat? What about car/truck? Just looking for feedback on what enclosure hits the hardest for that sub as I have never heard one in person and going to help someone build a box for their Tige RZ2. I was looking at the "High Output Ported Enclosure" on Boston's website. Says it's 2.5 cu ft gross volume. If I build it to their exact spec in the manual, it will be a tight fit that may require me to assemble it in place (still have to test fit a cardboard version first). Just curious if others have run this setup and what size enclosure they went with.
Thanks!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
For the record, I did search on here and saw some cool installs in cars but couldn't find anything in a boat... I saw some of David from Earmarks comments and it sounds like I should stick to one of their recommended sizes.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-27-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
2.5 cu ft external volume is really not that large for a bass-reflex enclosure using a woofer of that surface area. Once you remove the port volume its hardly any larger than 1.0 cu ft internal sealed. Its going to sound mighty good. Just make sure that the collective woofer and port are adequately vented into the cockpit.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
Thanks David! I was trying to figure out the real size of the enclosure since I can't seem to "see" the displacement of the woofer in their spec sheet on that link above. That 1 cu ft box is gross volume and the motor/basket of that woofer is huge and takes up most of that enclosure. Pretty impressive that they can get sound quality out of almost no air space. The vented enclosure is only 2.22 cu ft after you remove the vent and then whatever the woofer equals. Looks like it might be around 1.98 with the woofer taken into account? That's the only way I can get the 38hz tuning frequency to work out for the vent size based on this calculator: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#por

Last edited by timmyb; 05-27-2011 at 2:46 PM.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-27-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
Timmy,
My bad. I thought those were external rather than internal dimensions. So after removing the port volume and the volume of port wall plus estimating the driver displacement I come up with a net displacement just over 2.0 cu ft for the main chamber. The high output version is a big box.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-27-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
I have one and I am very happy with it. It converted me from a sealed box guy to a ported box guy. For a ported sub they are very snappy and very musical. I don't like the typical monotone boom frequently produced by other ported subs.

My box is 2.1 interior gross cubic feet and the port is different. I basically split the difference between the SQ and the SPL box volume and port dimensions. My port is tuned at 50hz, it's downright nasty in a car (I tested it in a hatchback before installation in the boat). At that frequency it's overbearing in the car but it works well in an open cabin boat. I suppose this box would also work well in a convertible with the top down (but nasty with the top up).

Acme did my friends yellow and black X45 with a pair of 555's in a 4 cubic foot box. It is also very impressive.

I like having my sub in one location with no sacrifice to valuable storage space.

One note about the ported 555's, they can get very stinky if you over power them. Mine gets really stinky after pushing it hard for over 2 hours. I will probably change the voice coil back to the 4 ohm unit reducing the power to it. I don't remember it getting stinky before I put the 2 ohm voice coil in it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-27-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
box pix
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike! That is exactly what I was looking for! Nice looking box too!

My kicker comp vr 10" gets a little smelly after awhile as well but it's going on it's 5th year and still hits just fine.