Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (malibugal)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-28-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hi! I really want to learn how to wakeboard and i was wondering if yall had any tips? My dad owns a dealership that sells Malibus' and I have seen lots of guys do it but Im kinda scared. does it hurt when you fall? I would like to start learning when spring comes, so if yall have any tips I would really appreciate them! thanks yall!!
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-28-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
well, getting up will be your first issue (and in my case was the biggest) some people get up right away some it takes awhile...it can also depend on the boat,driver, etc....but I have a feeling if your dad owns a boat dealership he knows boats so you should be ok with all that...basicly 1.relax
2. let the boat do the work and don't stand/turn the board too quickly \
3 (this was my problem, along with part of 2) keep the board in frunt of you in the water as in stay in positition as in you don't necasarly need to lean back but keep your toes up...basicly try to sink the board in the water a little bit before the boat really starts to pull you
once your up just keep your shoulders back look at the boat...hint: invite a hot wake guy to spot you and focus on him...you have to keep your eyes foward

as for falling...it's not that bad just let go of the rope when you knoe you have fallen so it dosn't make things more dramatic...I'm not gonna lie nose planting dose suck but by then you'll already have gotton up and be trully addictied so you wont care after three secounds after

Have fun make sure you always want to ride and arn't pressuring yourself into riding
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-28-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
hi emily! face planting hurts, no lie. i'd suggest learning with a boom. i got up immediately with that and then got up immediately with a rope as well. i think that's the easiest way to start. p.s. wakeboarding is a blast - you'll love it! then learn tricks, and all those boys will be saying, "well, i saw emily do it" - LOL!!
Old     (a1flowergirl)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-30-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I have to agree -- the addiction that subsequently follows "getting up" completely overshadows the impending doom of a fall. Once you're hooked, you're hooked. I've experienced a few killer face plants and the inevitable scorpion -- the pain doesn't compare to the thrill of landing a new trick. Just progress at a rate that is comfortable for you. Get out there and have a great time -- that's what it's all about!
Old     (devast8r)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-31-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
I love you emily will you marry me lol jk! Just go have fun and dont get frustrated and you will do awsome
Old     (malibugal)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-31-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
haha Christopher I would love to marry you but since im only 15 I don't think we would be legal. JK! But thanks for all your responces! But also when your wakeboarding can you hear the music from the boat? because we have NO problem from blasting the music (we had people on the bank of the river dancing haha) but I think that may get me pumped. There is also a boy at my school that is a year younger than me and he wakeboards and he said he would teach me (HA im being taught by a younger man! lol) But again thank you!
Old     (devast8r)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-01-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yea you can unfortunaitly i dont have a tower but my boat throws a good wake i got a ski boat cuz my dad skis but yea i would do so much better if i had music and another problem is no one wants to go when its cold lol exept me so i wind up going alone and i have to teach myself and kinda monkey do monkey see form the wakevids i see so i know how it is to fall alot but i love it im actualy gettin ready to go and keep me up dated on how you do you wont regret it especialy with a wakesetter
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-01-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
Oh what I wouldn't give to have my dad own a dealership with Malibu's! I'd make him take me out every day! But anyway, basically just have fun. Learning the basics and things will come as you progress as a rider. Of course it takes a lot of hard work and practice, just like anything else you do. But it all pays off in the end when you land a new trick or even just progress from riding regular to switch. But you've come to the right place if you want the best advice for wakeboarding. Wakeworld has some of the nicest people I've ever met, well not technically met, and there are some of them who tear it up on a wakeboard! But good luck with your riding and remember... A bad day of wakeboarding, is better than a good day at work/school!!

Jamie
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-01-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
Oh what I wouldn't give to have my dad own a dealership with Malibu's! I'd make him take me out every day! But anyway, basically just have fun. Learning the basics and things will come as you progress as a rider. Of course it takes a lot of hard work and practice, just like anything else you do. But it all pays off in the end when you land a new trick or even just progress from riding regular to switch. But you've come to the right place if you want the best advice for wakeboarding. Wakeworld has some of the nicest people I've ever met, well not technically met, and there are some of them who tear it up on a wakeboard! But good luck with your riding and remember... A bad day of wakeboarding, is better than a good day at work/school!!

Jamie