Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-15-2005, 4:44 PM Reply   
WHEN CAN YOU SAY YOU ARE A WAKEBOARDER AND NOT A PERSON WHO WAKEBOARDS. I AM NOT TALKING PROFESSIONAL BUT YOU CAN TELL PEOPLE YOU ARE A WAKEBOARDER. I HAVE GOTTEN IN A FEW ARGUMENTS ON THE BOAT ABOUT IT. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. LIKE WHAT KIND OF TRICKS AND WHAT NOT SHOULD YOU BE ABLE TO PULL.
Old    3scooter3            08-15-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
Really I don't think it matters.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2005, 5:30 PM Reply   
wow, you were in an argument over that? i wouldn't ever want to be in that boat.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
its whenever you want to be. i consider myself a wakeboarder and all i can do are 180's and butterslides. of course im working on bigger things like a 360, but i consider myself a wakeboarder.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-15-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
When you don't start arguments over trivial bullsh*t!

I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that out loud.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-15-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
Same here. It doesnt matter what tricks you can do as long as you have fun doing it. People shouldnt judge you on what stuff you can and cant do. If you can get up on a wakeboard, i'd consider you a wakeboarder. If anything other people should be helping you and encouraging you to try new things and help you get better. I've come a long way this year with a the help of a few friends which take the time to being me out on the river, give me tips, and they are just awesome people to be around. Wakeboarding isnt such a competitive sport as football or basketball and any team sport. Its individual and everyone has their own way or riding, so you can consider yourself if you can just get up on a wakeboard as long as you have fun doing it. That what i think.

(Message edited by wakechic06 on August 15, 2005)
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-15-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
I asked Jeeves and he said...
1.)You have to go at least once a week. If you miss a week than you must make it up the very next week.
2.) You must say words like bro, dude, sick, and hella at a minimum of 4x every 29.2 hrs.
3.) You quit telling everyone how good you are.
4.) You must have a hate for skiers, tubers, and pwc users somewhere in your heart to be considered hard-core.
5.) If you own a MC, hate BUs (and vice versa.)
6.) If you own a cheaper wakeboat, rag on expensive ones and how "sick" yours is and how your wake is "giganti-enormous".
7.) Discover your soul is bleeding when your day at the lake is cancelled.
8.) When you quit bragging about rad W2W jumps and all humility slaps you upside your caboose and for once you don't giggle.
9.) You realize that using your friends setup everytime is pissing him off deep inside, so you buy one.
10.) You actually look at wakeboarding in the mags instead of the Reef meat.
Old    jamesboardr            08-15-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
well i look at the reef meat..but i guess thats just a technicality. im a wakeskater anyways and not a strapper with these stupid questions lol. good times
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
And, people say WW is filled with stuffy old people... :>)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-15-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
When it's all you think about and you can't wait until your next ride. You're a wakeboarder.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2005, 6:27 PM Reply   
Last week I got a friend's 5 year old girl up on a board for the first time and she rode for about 100 yards a couple of times......and I was calling her a wakeboarder.

So, IMO, the original question on this post IS A DUMB-ASS QUESTION.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-15-2005, 6:29 PM Reply   
Well, J-Rod sealed it for me.

Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
....when you can put the board back on in the water without burning valuble riding time.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-15-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
...when you can complain for days about pumping gas in your car, but don't hesitate to throw $50 bucks a day in your boat.
Old     (liquidmarcus)      Join Date: May 2004       08-15-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
hahaha, this has turned into one of those, "you might be a redneck if...", just with wakeboarding
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-15-2005, 7:32 PM Reply   
Looks Like I win.
Maybe if you are on wakeworld you can be considered.

(Message edited by wakeboard19 on August 15, 2005)
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-15-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
Sounds like DRAMA
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-15-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
you can call yourself a wakeboarder after you discover what "good water" is.

On more than one occasion we've had someone in the boat, in mediocre water, and they've said, "look at this GLASS!" At that point in time, they weren't wakeboarders yet.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-15-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
when you type in all caps....
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-15-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
Scott...too funny buddy!
hahaha!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       08-15-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
If you think it’s about the tricks you are pulling behind the boat… you are on the wrong site.

I agree Joe… guess I would be too old to be on that boat.... I TOLD YOU I AM A WAKE SURFER!

Wasn’t there an old thread similar to this… you know you are addicted to wakeboarding when….

Guess I can go with the new title… You can call yourself a wakeboarder when:

You understand what a powerturn is… and don’t do them! (required!)

You spend more per week on gas for the boat than you do on commuting to work.

You have a boat worth more that the truck/suv pulling it. (inevitable)

You have a big…. On your face when behind the boat, and enjoy hanging on the lake with friends.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2005, 2:34 AM Reply   
You are a wakeboarder when it becomes your life. You do everything and buy everything that you think in your head will make yourself the best possible rider. Unfortunately, the more you ride, the harder you start trying.
Old    260searay            08-16-2005, 3:14 AM Reply   
When you have a 5 day weekend ahead of you for a canada trip from ohio with 10 other boats and you are considering staying home and getting lots of riding in.
Old     (lop)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-16-2005, 4:21 AM Reply   
when you enjoy yourself and look forward to the next ride
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-16-2005, 4:40 AM Reply   
this is about the worst thread of all time..

good thing the only stupid question is the one never asked..

..but this is pushing it
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-16-2005, 6:45 AM Reply   
"....when you can put the board back on in the water without burning valuble riding time."

I'll have to side with kipp, and add... when you can get your boots on and off without complaining and having to rest between tries.
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-16-2005, 8:16 AM Reply   
When nothing other than wakeboarding could possibly get your lazy A$$ out of bed at 5AM.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-16-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
If you are asking this question I would say you are a person that wakeboards.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-16-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
You know when you're a wakeboarder when, you've been bashed by Joe Umali for posting something stupid on this message board! Congrats!
Old    trout            08-16-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
what a gay thread.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-16-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
"im a wakeskater anyways and not a strapper"
Love it.
Old     (gno231)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-16-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
I cant believe I added this line
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
i dont really think it matters but a sart is to stop writing in all CAPS
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
alright check it out.... I got your answer. Your a wakeboarder when you go out there and the main source of fun is wakeboarding. Your a person that wakeboards when wakeboarding is just one of many activities your doing to keep entertained.

but seriously..... what in the world kind of question is this?! Nest time you refer to yourself as a wakeboarder and someone comments about the ligitimacy(sp?) of that......... SLAP them and say it was from me!
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-16-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
legitimaticy*
Old     (mpayette)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-16-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
when you can stand on your board
when you can move a bit

and when you can yell at your wife cause she is playing with the Perfect Pass ;) (JOKE)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-16-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
You are a wakeboarder; when you finally learn to use spell check before you post.
Old    ag4ever            08-16-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
There are no stupid questions, the only stupid question is the one that was not asked.

Correction, this was a stupid question!!!
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-16-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
My daughter is a wakeboarder
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
poon ~ that is so f'in awesome!
Old    socalgrl79            08-16-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
Arun,

She's gorgeous! You already have her reading WB magazine.. I'm impressed!

-Amy
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-16-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
Well done J-Rod:

"When it's all you think about and you can't wait until your next ride. You're a wakeboarder. "

... or when you're sick with a fever & some kind of bacteria in your throat, but you still get out of bed early as hell to drive to the delta for a day of riding, because you can't help it.

or anywhere you see "glass" (even on some little pond somewhere), you wish you could be riding on it, because it looks like great water. ;-)
Old    corkyswx2            08-16-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
aaron that needs to get sent to alliance.. err wait...
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
I wasn't asking if a person was a wakeboarder or not I just wanted to know when to believe someone was legit. People tell me they are really good wakeboarders. So you can't tell me that a person who can just get up on the board is a really good wakeboarder. I wanted to know where the line was between a rider and I person who can tear it up on the water.

DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD GET THRASHED FOR WRITING IN ALL CAPS. MY BAD.
Old    ksboarder            08-16-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
"When it's all you think about and you can't wait until your next ride. You're a wakeboarder. "

Are you saying there are people that don't do this?

Old    wakegal02            08-16-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
When you ride so long your feet become numb and you still continue to ride and of course thinking of wakeboarding non stop!
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       08-16-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
Tara... guess you have not heard yet... it's the toxic slime of the Delta that causes ... "a fever & some kind of bacteria in your throat" so if you still ride in it... you are a wakeboarder.

Arun, glad to see you are starting her early.
Old    baileysmith            08-16-2005, 10:40 PM Reply   
I promise not to name any names...

You know you're a wakeboarder when...

...you sleep in your boat so you can be first in the water and wakeboarding before the water is choppy.

...you practice handle passes with random objects when you think no one is watching.

...you have, in any way, rigged a trampoline up so you can practice your wakeboarding skills. That's just awesome.

...you stay up on a wakeboarding site until ungodly hours in the morning while in a state that doesn't know what wakeboarding is, trying in vain to get your wakeboarding fix. I'm going to sleep now!

-Bailey (1:40 a.m., KY)
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2005, 11:07 PM Reply   
When the best best wedding present you ever got was a Parks 145 DNA, the New Nevin Handle, and the A10 vest; and for the wife Motive 135 with Era's and Oneil the Law Vest. (thanks Dad and Mom, china dishes just suck).

When your friends hear you're having marital problems and buy you Perfect Pass to help ease the tension (Thanks Mike and Amanda).

When you sacrifice the house, the car, the dog, the stupid a$$ china, the plasma screen, the granite counter tops, the wine collection, your 401K, several antique handguns, and your lazy boy chair just so you can keep the VLX.
Yep, that means you're a wakeboarder!
Old    mia            08-17-2005, 12:18 AM Reply   
agree with mbrown... it is a state of mind..
Old    260searay            08-17-2005, 3:08 AM Reply   
bailey i hear ya man im in ohio
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-17-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
when all of your gear matches and you have most aesthetically matching binding/board combo possible.

Also when you're snowboarding and wish you were wakeboardin
Old    jws            08-17-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
You are a wakeboarder the moment you become "hooked", When you think spending 45 grand or more on a boat is a good investment. When you know the names of the guys in the local proshop better then the members of your wife's family! When you think taking a wakeboarding pass on New Years day makes for the best start for the new year! You wakeboard when it is something your do, you are a wakeboarder when it becomes your identity, not matter how you ride. IMO
Old    robertt            08-17-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
When do you know if you are a wakeboarder?

Um.....

If...you...wakeboard. I think.

The rest is just various degrees of being other things.

I mean, if you are a man...and you have had sex as of late with another man...then you are gay...right? You dont have to do it a certain way, or think about it all the time, or even be good at it. If you do it at all....your a homo. No offense meant, just drawing a parallel.

Why get all philosophical about it? You don't have to pass a test. You don't have to do a certain trick. You just have to do it.

(Message edited by robertt on August 17, 2005)
Old     (bucnoles)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-17-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
When's the last time you washed and waxed your tow vehicle?
Old    baileysmith            08-17-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
chris- It sounds cruel, but it's nice to know someone else feels my pain.

Robert- Interesting comparison... but you're right. You're a wakeboarder if you wakeboard. The simplest answer.

Maybe someone should start a new thread "When You Are Not Considered A Wakeboarder"

For example:

If you don't know what a power turn is, you don't deserve to be called a wakeboarder.

If you don't think it's worth it to get up 4 a.m. just to get a spot on the lake, guess what? You're not a wakeboarder.

If you have any feelings other than hate for tubers or people who do power turns.

Maybe I should re-name that "You're Not Hardcore If..." ("You Might Be A Redneck If...")
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2005, 7:12 AM Reply   
Hmmm, I just failed *all* of Bailey's criteria to be a wakeboarder.

1) Don't know what a power turn is. Id that really a trick?

2) There's only one sport I like at 4am and it doesn't involve getting out of bed.

3) I don't "hate" tubers. Everyone has a right to the lake. But I do hate PWC that follow my boat around. They have a right to the lake but they don't have a right to follow me around.
Old    baileysmith            08-18-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
John- I'm sorry. I wasn't being very serious about those; I doubt they pertain to all wakeboarders. (Forgot to mention that...)

1) A power turn is when someone turns their boat without reducing speed, thus sending big rollers (depending on the weight in the boat) in your general direction. It's not a trick.

2) I shall refrain from commenting on that.

3) I don't really hate tubers, although they do get on my last nerve sometimes. Not hating tubers doesn't necessarily mean your not a wakeboarder, just like having a sign saying "Tresspassers Will Be Shot, Survivors Will Be Shot Again" doesn't necessarily make you a redneck.

I wouldn't question their right to the lake... just their intelligence, knowledge of how choppy they're making the water, and self preservational skills. I have nothing against any of them personally, I just think it's best to only tube in water that's too choppy to wakeboard in and have the courtesy to stay away from other people's boats.

Hmmm.... I can't think of anything else right off, but I'll post more "You might be a Wakeboarder if..."s when I think of them.
Old     (bmfb)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
you're probably a "wake-boarder" (i just used my fingers for quotes) when you don't ask others to confirm for you.
Old    baileysmith            08-18-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
Well said, double b, well said.

You're a wakeboarder if you think you're a wakeboarder. Ya just know!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-18-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
Yo Bailey,

You are a wakeboarder!! No doubt. It runs in the blood too!

Miss ya! Come back soon!

Buzz
Old    baileysmith            08-18-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
BUZZ!!

Thank you!! I miss you too! It seems like forever since I've talked to you. I'm planning a visit, it all depends on whether or not my sister lets me come back.

Hope to see you and the San V crew soon,

-Bailey
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-18-2005, 9:10 PM Reply   
i'm sure blake will let you stay at his pad.

Old    baileysmith            08-18-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
Oooo! Really? I'll have to consider that...
Old    socalgrl79            08-18-2005, 10:45 PM Reply   
That sounds like prison time just waiting to happen.
:-)

-Amy
Old    baileysmith            08-19-2005, 3:51 AM Reply   
Amy- LOL!! How bad could it be? (<Famous Last Words)
Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-19-2005, 4:41 AM Reply   
whoever enjoys wakeboarding!!!
Old    socalgrl79            08-19-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
Bailey,

What are we talking about? Prison for a guy like Blake?? That could be pretty bad.. although.. he is in the Navy..

-Amy
Old     (skinautique2001)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-19-2005, 8:13 AM Reply   
Alright guys... I feel a T-shirt coming. Throw your best "You know you're a wakeboarder when..." comments out. This has actually turned into a rather amusing post!
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-19-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
You cannot call yourself a wakeboarder if you have to ask that question. Are you serious?
Old    baileysmith            08-19-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
Amy- I'm not sure we're still talking about the same thing... Maybe I misinterpreted your previous statement. O.O Anywho...

Ed- I can think of some creative pics that would go with that. (Wakeboard as a pillow, wakeboard replacing best friend, et cetera. Have you seen that chocolate mink commercial where the kid has one of the Playstation controllers and the glass of choc. milk has the other? Hope that makes sense... It's difficult to communicate that thought over the net.)

Shane- Good point. I would post that on the "When are you not considered a wakeboarder?" thread but I have to attend to my offline life. The real world calls!!

Later,
-Bailey
Old    socalgrl79            08-19-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Bailey,

I'm just cracking a joke at Blake's expense.. no worries! :-)

-Amy