Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old    malibu73            07-04-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
I started grabbing with my left hand for the first time today. I got this picture, not sure what to call it though.

Upload
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-04-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
method.

grab it further back and poke it out and you have yourself a melan good sir
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-04-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
it is a melon grab but if you tweak it a little it would be a method
Old    malibu73            07-04-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
I was thinking it was a method, but wasn't sure.

For some reason, I never even thought about grabbing with the left hand. I guess I was working on other stuff and overlooked it.
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
lol nicely put caleb
Old     (midisteezy)      Join Date: May 2007       07-04-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
That's a Melon. A method is between the bindings.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-04-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
I thought melon was grabbed between the bindings, and method was more of a 'move' than a grab...??
Old     (midisteezy)      Join Date: May 2007       07-04-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
A method you grab with your front hand on the heel edge of your board between the bindings. If you're doing the method on a snowboard you want to kick your snowboard up to your butt and bone it out. It's one of the first grabs I ever learned.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-04-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
I would try leveling it out, but it's a melon. A method, at the very least, will be pulled up to your butt (meaning the base of the board will not be parallel with the water and the front leg will not be boned). If you want to style it out, tail bone it so the base of the board is facing the boat.

And like the bros said, if you want to "come correct", you'd want to grab it in between your bindings. Snowboarding's given methods a little bit of leeway, in that you can grab in between the bindings, or just outside of your front foot (but super tight towards it)...there were a couple of riders that added their own style, jamie lynn was one and I can't remember who the other one was, but they were the ones to follow when it came to where you wanted to grab it...

heck yeah!!
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-05-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
nose + melon = nelan

grab it between the bindings next time.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-05-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
melon is up that whole side between the bindings or above but if you grab melon and tweak it back it is a method
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
From Mike Shwenne

Melan Grab: Front hand reaches behind the front leg and grabs the heelside edge of the board between the bindings while the front leg is boned out

looks like a method grab to me
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-05-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
i thought a method was tweaking back a melon/stailfish grab. more to it than where it is on the board.

Nintzel's dubbed it NELAN. oppo of slob.
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
You are definitely doing a melan or nelan if you prefer, not a method. A method is more of a trick, not just a grab. There was a whole article about this in one of the wakeboard magazines this summer. A method is a pretty tuff trick to do correctly with a lot of style like igor in the pic below. It's the trick that the snowboard chick from the US tried to do a few years back in that downhill race at the olympics and wrecked on to lose the gold.
\image
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
\image
Upload
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-05-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
"...A method is more of a trick, not just a grab..." spoken like Joe Umali himself!

*no direspect intended*
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
From the boat or the shore in front of the boat you should be able to se the bottom of the riders board if the move (Method) was done right
Greg W is right on for the description of a melon grab
another MethodUpload
melon Upload
Old     (midisteezy)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
Joe.. you're thinking of Lindsay Jacobellis.