Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-07-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
Something seems to have broken in the brake system on my boatmate trailer. The plunger that activates the brakes moves all the way in and out without any resistance. I have checked and the fluid is full. Does anybody have any experience with this? I assume I can just pull the pins holding it together and get in and either find the problem or replace the master cylinder (or whatever it might be called).
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-07-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
craig what's up? haven't heard from you in a while. we're going out tomorrow if you want to get out on the water. be at my house at 11:30.

about the brakes. if the fluid is full and there are no leaks it is the master cyl. just make sure you don't hae any leaks first. like the steel lines, and the wheel cylinders.
Old    dabs            05-08-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
Take the master cylinder plug off the top and operate the plunger from the screwdriver access hole on the bottom of the actuator. By holding up on the brake release bracket with one hand and operating the pushrod with the other, you should see a swirl or movement in the master cylinder reservoir. If you operate the pushrod and not hold up on the release bracket the brakes should lock. If you can still roll the trailer in the locked position the master cylinder is not operating or needs to be rebled. Replacement master cylinders are available through Waymires, 1-800-434-4824 or www.waymires.com. Be sure to specify drum or disc brake. To change the master cylinder, disconnect brake line from under the actuator, and the blue solenoid wire if it is disc brakes. Then remove the 2 clips and washers from one side of the outer member and push the pins all the way out the other side. The inner member will now slide out the front. As you pull the member out, keep one of the pins in your hand and put it back in as each hole clears the outer member. This way you will have the whole thing still assembled to take to the bench. To change the master cylinder from this point, flip the whole thing upside down and remove the rear pin, then depress the brake release lever (just behind the ball socket), and pull the master cylinder/pushrod assembly out and flip them over to access the bolt that holds the pushrod to the master cylinder. Now the master cylinder can be exchanged with a new one. If you had a solenoid on the old one, remove and replace on new one using a zip tie on the bypass hose.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-09-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
Dennis, thanks for all the detail. It sounds like it should be helpful information.

Dave - thanks again for the pull yesterday.