Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-21-2003, 7:29 AM Reply   

OK, this is not my boat, but still an EFI V8 question and i thought i might find some help here...

my POS (former) daily driver car is a 92 Camaro 5.0L TBI. i am at my wits' end trying to fix it.

basically it cuts out at anything over light throttle as if no fire or fuel once the engine warms up a bit. it starts cold fine, and runs great until the engine temp gets over about 160º, and then falls on its face if you get on it. it will still idle, cruise, and light accelerate for a little while, and then totally dies & won't restart.

the whole ignition system has less than 3k mi on it, i have a fuel pressure ga under the hood showing steady pressure within spec. i can see the injectors spraying fuel into the TB when it's trying to start...

what i can't figure out is WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP TO THE ENGINE TEMP???

here's a thread i started:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196366

ANY ideas / help greatly appreciated... thanks, Trace
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-21-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
I'm not familiar with your particular EFI system but my first guess is a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Should be about 10 bucks if you want to try that.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-21-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
tested it, and it's within spec. i even tried jumping in a resistor in its place to fake out the ECM, which did not help... thanks.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-22-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
trace,

Just thought of something. You may not have a stator but somewhere in the ignition system there has to be a cps (crank position sensor) or magnetic pickup. Something to check.

BTW, we're riding early Sunday morning on Gtown. Your invited if you want to come along.

(Message edited by vortech347 on August 22, 2003)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-22-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
well, it was a bad ignition module. i took the module out of my boat & stuck it in the car, and it runs great now. (thanks for the idea, Greg) very frustrating when a brand new part goes bad, but it was el cheapo aftermarket; shoulda known.

i would definitely like to come out for a pull Sun morn if i'm up. (Holly's putting something together tomorrow for bday - don't know what's in store)

thanks all.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-22-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
oh yeah, and no CPS on a TBI - it has a magnetic pickup coil under the dist cap.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-23-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
cool, glad to hear you got it fixed.

we will be on the water by nine at the latest. shooting for 8:30. Gotta be off the water by 10:45 since Mo and I are doing an install at 11.

Is your boat functional? If so and you want to bring it out then you guys could stay later and we wouldn't have to get off the water so early. It will just be me, Mo and our friend Brent coming out in the morning.

Let me know or call Mo and let him know.

Later