Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-23-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
I am looking for tips to do awesome impressive carves. I want to throw larger rooster tails than the skiers. nose presses, the works. Anyone got these techs locked in, can you share your ideas? I can carve....but I want to really maximize it.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-23-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
Why?

And more importantly, Why?
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-23-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
splash people on the docks that are being spectators. That's why!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-23-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
yeah i do a lot of board control stuff when i ride. from what ive found keeping your knees bent and center of gravity low, helps dig your edges in. start with small carves in the flats and go bigger and bigger. you will find the bigger you go the more slack will go in the line so you have to balance that by weighting your back foot more to slow down. also when you are first getting pulled out, start playin while you are still sideways, i usally fully weight one foot then fully weight the other, then put the board about 45 degrees to the boat and weight your back foot and ride the back corner. get good at this stuff. ive pulled out some sketchy sh*t cus i had board control down. most memorable was catchin a toeside edge and gettin popped up a lil by it and pullin the board back under me. also ive messed up a few 180s and pulled back to revert while landing. if youve ever caught an edge that way, its not pretty.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-25-2007, 5:50 AM Reply   
I don't think it is possible for a wakeboard to displace more water than a slalom ski on a slalom course. I'm with Dave-to do it just to do it is as lame as the goofy slalom dudes out there with their goggles and neon wetsuits. I'm not anti slalom, as long as it's done on a course which is a huge adrenaline rush.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-25-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
Scott, hardcore skiers would call you (and myself) a "Wally".
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Not as much as a slalom skier, but you can throw up a decent wall of water.

Upload
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-25-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Kevin's picture's a pretty good explanation for "Why" someone would want to do it. How fun does that look? Great picture.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Thanks Ken, gotta love the early morning glass!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-25-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Yeah, nice pic! If it's fun for you and it makes your wake experience better, then go for it. It really bugs me when people try so hard label stuff as "cool" and "uncool." That's not what this sport is about. If you have fun grabbing tindy, then grab the hell out of it. If you like Raleys, them more power to you! And if you want to make a ridiculous rooster tail, then carve away!

I've seen Murray do ridiculous things with the spray off his board. Just yesterday, I was in a boat taking pics of Keith Lyman and he came up and strategically sprayed the entire boat except for where the camera was sitting. It was a thing of beauty! I didn't get a drop on me. I guess Keith is just a Wally!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
one of my fav. pics

Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-25-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
And who said the can opener was good for nothin
Upload
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2007, 4:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for the posts.. I will try those tips. As for a slalom....no I don't want to be a slalom skier. I left that long ago when I first tried wakeboarding ten years ago. I wanted to just improve nose presses and style. Sharpen things up a bit. I want to maximize my skills. Do everything I possibly can do on my board. Not do it to look likes skiers.....do it because I can. Why do lines have to be drawn between sports. This reminds me of skateboarding verses in line skaters on halfpipes. I would visit the pipes and some of these riders would amaze me, both on skateboards and in-line. Hell I could not do the stuff they were pulling off. But I was equally impressed with both. But there was always tension between them, so it seemed. I will put any aquatic sport in my boat. If someone wants to tube...it's there....slalom....it's there..kneeboard...it's there. I have done all these sports. Wakeboarding is my passion. My board is always in my boat. I guess I just felt some tension against people who like to ski, that is all. Love the pics guys.....and THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. Yhea...maybe I want to do it to make a great wallpaper for my desktop. But I think I will get more out of it. Board control.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-26-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
yeah my pic was with a can opener too, they throw the best spray!
Old     (nautique_04_226)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-03-2007, 4:09 PM Reply   
Here is another picture.Upload
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-03-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
This is from just one bare foot wake crossing.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-03-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
oops
image too big dam
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
there we go...just one foot making all that spray...
Upload
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
this ones got spray too
Upload
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-09-2007, 4:03 AM Reply   
AWESOME PICS GUYS! I like a face full of H2O. I really like the pics in WBM April edition. Just got it yesterday. Man Gabe Lucas can carve big walls of water. I guess I really like the idea because I use to surf in San Diego. And it reminds me of funneling down into the pipe. It is an awesome feeling. ANDY...I am totally impressed. Barefoot is difficult. Your pics make it look easy and sweet. Thanks for the pics...keep postin....keep me pumped up. This is the year for big H2O
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-09-2007, 4:38 AM Reply   
holy crap dude. I always think about how hardcore barefoot skiers are. that spray on that first picture is awesome!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-15-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-15-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
That barefoot jumping is just crazy

It seems like the smaller the board/ski/foot, the more spray you can get. bare feet spray>slalom ski spray>wakeboard spray
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-15-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
I like his expression, it seems like what is going on is no big deal to him.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2007, 4:28 AM Reply   
Yhea...intensely focused. But man it is cool. I might find someone that has barefoot and give me pointers. Give it a whirl this Summer. Started off skiing, passion is wakeboarding and will always be. But I have to at least get up for one run with barefoot. The old pics of Parks doing it...looks like he had fun with it. Try everything once is my motto!
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-16-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
ANDYMAC - Do you really go 50mph doing barefoot? Those pics are crazy
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-16-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
to the original poster...

you want to do a nose press.. while riding??

That's easy, just lean forward on the board until the nose catches! :-P
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-16-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
ANDY Is that west coast willy jumping?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-16-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Barefooting is painful. I can't imagine trying to hit a jump at 40+mph. Learning that has to hurt.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
It is Billy Brazoza from Rhode Island and Greg Meyer at the 03 US Barefoot Nationals at Shortline Lake in Elk Grove, CA.

Willy is recovering from some shoulder work...

I'll post some of the girls jumping, it only hurts when you faceplant on the ramp...I have video of that...I have barefooted at 65 behind a 86 Sanger TX I/O (belongs to Jim at Topside Marine in SJ)
I go 50 sometmes but normally do my one foot front wake slalom at 45-46 and backwards one foot wakes at 42. I do most tricks at 42-43.
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
The guys use the inverted style of jumping invented by Mike Seipel. The girls are still doing the old way...but they jump too!
I do not jump anymore myself...just wakes and tricks.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-16-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
thats pretty gangsta... haha!!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
Jason Lee puts down the landing gear
Upload
Upload
Upload
Then there is Keith St Onge...corrent world record holder in trick and wakes, jumps very well too.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
oops sorry about the dups.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
Upload
Sanger Barefooter with 377 Super Scorpion
Upload
Ball O Spray!
Upload
the view of a tournament loaded barefoot boat
3 judges, video guy, and driver.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 2:24 PM Reply   
here is how anybody can learn to barefoot without ever falling. sitting in the swing
Upload
Upload
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Alright, we got it. You barefoot, congrats. Try to stay focused here hoss, he wants to throw spray on a WAKEBOARD!!! Talk about tangent of the century.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
That's Mr. Cartwright to you!
none are pictures of me.
post your spray! come on big heavy lets see big heavy spray!

not a tangent...but you're lucky i haven't asked any ransom in this hijacking. I was asked to post more...but I'll stop since you are offended.
Funny how some react to me, some are very interested in the barefooting pictures, some want to "protect wakeboarding" from barefooting and just hate me on this board at all but to me its all the same getting pulled on the water by a boat. I simply prefer hauling ass.

If you want to put up more spray with your board cut like a maddog at the wake, really get the board on edge (and gain 75 lbs)

Barefooting isn't for everyone, but we are all boaters first. barefooting is the ultimate challenge in towed water sports. And as for generating alot of spray i don't think anything can compare. but lets see?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-16-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
why are they using the tower for footing now?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Word...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
I'm all for watersports of all type, heck, my friends & I decided last weekend that we are going to have a barefoot weekend soon. I'll be learning but am looking forward to it. I just think that when you come onto a wakeboard site there has to be a line to avoid.

Mucked, if you really wanna shred the gnar. Have the driver accelerate and do a slow turn. Cut as hard as you can and send her on edge. If you have a Roam-type board you can hold it for longer than a regular board. Enjoy.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-16-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
A few pics was cool. Now we get to scroll through 87 pics of barefooting to see the wakeboarding slashes we want. I used to barefoot 12 years ago when I used to waterski. I got over both of them really quick the first time I strapped into those bad boy sandal bindings on that skurfer.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
skurfer the beginning of wakeboarding today...where are the wakeboarding slashes?

after seeing the barefooting pictures nobody posted another board on edge they just asked for MORE footin photos
read carefully
Where are your roosty shots????put up. don't hate. post.