Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (krcwell)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-18-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Hi guys,

I've been doing research on fixing a couple of spider cracks in my gel coat (caused by the tower I put on this year). Everything seems pretty simple and straightforward - clean out/sand down the cracks, fill the area in with new gel coat, sand that down, done. (That is oversimplified, but you get the idea. It seems very straightforward) I was always under the impression that fixing gel coat was a huge pain in the ass.
So, my question to those that have done gel coat repair - what am I missing? I'm sure I'm over simplifying this in my head. What were the unforseen issues you ran in to? Also, if anyone has a favorite resource for information on fixing gel coat, please post. Thanks.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-18-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Matching the color is a big issue. You may think that white is white or black is black going in, but there are different shades, and it really shows once you've done the repair. Also, sanding it down and then getting it to look glossy again might be trickier than you expected.

I've been repairing surfboards since I was 10. Working with fiberglass and resin is never as easy as it looks, and you really have to know what you're doing to make a repair look good.

Personally, if it's a nice boat, I'd pay to have it done by a pro.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-18-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Keith, I was told this is the place to match and buy your gelcoat. Pick your manufacturer, then color.

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-18-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
Not to mention you should really pull off the tower mounts if you want to get the entire crack fixed.

I'd say start small, pick a crack you are going to fix and then tackle it. If it doesnt go well at least you only have one repair to make.
Old     (big_wave)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-18-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
Spectrumcolor is vary good at matching the colors. The key to a good finish is the sanding and polishing. wet sand with 100,200,400,600,the 800(if you can find it) then finish with rubbing compound or chrome polish. If you have a good color match and spend the time sanding you can get a good result every time.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-18-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
finish it with 2000 at least before you buff.
Old    murphy8166            11-18-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
Here is a link to the sandpaper you should order for spot repairs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-Wet-Dry-Sandpaper-Grits-180-2000-Silicon-Carbide_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66 Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp328 6Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem220298501972QQitemZ22029850 1972QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
Old    murphy8166            11-18-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Here is how I did and it worked perfectly.

Step 1: Used the dremel to grind a 'V' into the crack down to fresh uncraked gelcoat.

Step 2: Roughed up area with 200 grit paper

Step 3: Clean surface w/ acetone and taped around repair area.

Step 4: Patched with Spectrum Gel Paste kit and let it cure overnight.

Step 5: Wetsand in one direction from 200 to 2000 grit paper...continually cleaning paper and sanding area with fresh water

Step 6: Compound and polish with a circular polisher then touched up with wax.

This repair is so easy but requires you to take your time and do it right.
Old     (krcwell)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-19-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for all replies. I turly appreciate the help. Once last questions... I wanted to do this over the winter... what affect (if any) is temperature going to have on this? I live in Chicago. It's cold.
Old    murphy8166            11-19-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Keith, It really wont matter too much. the warmer it is the quicker it will cure.

My suggestion would be to heat up the repair area with a hair dryer to inrease the strength of the bond.