Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-20-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
I've discovered serveral cracks around the strut bracket and on further investigation it seems the glass around that area is weakened. I have a friend who has travelled the world fixing glass problems on yachts so it doesn't concern me too much.

The engine is all set to be lifted. Everything is unplugged etc. so forklift on saturday and out it comes.

Now looking at the mounts am I best to leave the mounts on the boat and just remove the big nut from the top allowing the engine to be lifted and not require re-alignment or shall I just undo the bolts holding the mounts to the hull and re align it afterwards?

Anyone have any tips? I assume there is no issue lifting the engine, tranny and V drive all together as one?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-20-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
I would replace oil pan seal, flywheel ring, and check starter shims etc as long as I had it out. Those are some of the things I dread messing with while the engine is in.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-20-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Engine doesn't leak any oil and theres no issues with the starter so I'd rather go with the "if its not broke don't fix it" school of thought plus I only have a day to lift the engine, do glass work and drop the engine back in.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-20-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
Realignment is tedious, but not difficult to do yourself. All you need is a feeler gauge, and you can get it closer to perfect than any shop is going to bother with anyway.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-31-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
i wouldnt mess with the adjustments if you only have a day just pull the through bolts that secure the mounts to the stringers and hoist it out.

i had to pull a motor out of my last boat and this was the approach i ended up using.

u really dont want to mess with re alignment if you are on a tight schedule.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
My boat has the engine out right now for fiberglass repair in the same location.

The dealer pulled the engine and did just what you said. The mounts are still there, they just pulled the top nuts.