Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-13-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
I’ve read countless threads on ballast systems. I’m looking for some help from people who have Simer pump ballast systems. I have a Ski Nautique 2001. I want to add a fully automatic ballast system. I want it to be ignition protected (so my kids don’t accidentally run them dry). What I have so far are 2 reversible Simer pumps (600 gph), two 3 position switches, and a Stinger SR200 High Current Relay for a second battery. I am going to drill one thru hull scoop type intake in the bilge and add an emergency shutoff valve. From there I would like some assistance…I want to be able to drain while underway and I’m afraid that the pressure from the scoop will harm draining out of the intake. Does anyone have this problem? I have considered installing a check valve after the intake and draining above the waterline. Is this the best way to drain anyway? The illustration of the single bag system is exactly how I would set it up for draining above the waterline. 3 check valves, one thruhull below waterline, 2 above. I want to use 1 intake below waterline, what size should I go with for two pumps? Can I run both pumps at the same time with a two battery system? If so filling should be fine. One problem lies with draining a 2nd pump system with one intake. From what I’ve heard the Simer pumps do not let water pass when they are off, so I considered them a “valve” when off and can only drain one system at a time. Or do you think if I enlarged the drain piping I could drain both at the same time? I also think the “cross” is inefficient…I think it needs some tweaking. Please advise…Upload
Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-13-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
Put a mushroom intake in, so there will be little or no pressure. Put a one way valve on the intake and a T running to a vent on the side, so when you go to drain it dumps the water out the side, instead of back down your through hull. This also helps to tell when it's empty. I burnt up 1 simmer pump trying to figure this method out.

Anybody want to buy 3 simmer pumps, with a manifold and three wired ballast switches for these pumps? Plus a ton of brass fittings and pvc fittings? email me at
duffymahoney@hotmail.com

Duffy
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-13-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
I use the raw water intake and have had zero problems I can fill/drain at any time (motor on or off, slow or fast speed). I fill four bags two at a time
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-13-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
So you think mushroom instead of scoop? most of the new intakes are scoop aren't they?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-13-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Travis, I think what duffy is saying is that with a scoop the pressure may constantly fill your bags. If you want to run the boat around with the bags full the pressure may force water through the pumps and into the bags. Not really sure though.
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-13-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
I think the Simer pumps act as valves. They don't allow water to flow by when off. Correct me if I'm wrong. Scoop or not I just want the best functioning system and its what I've seen the most of.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-13-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
They would act as valves but with enough pressure would let water pass. Not sure if there would be enough pressure to do that though.

I have a 2000 Moomba Mob V with 2 simer pumps. They are set up with a T off the main water intake. This is simple and works well. I haven't had a problem of starving the water pump while running both pumps. It also allows you to empty while the boat is under way.
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-13-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett, I don't want to chance overheating. I'd rather it be a separate system. I am going to try it first using the intake as a drain, does anyone have issues with the scoop type intake creating pressure underway that hinders draining? See link:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/57150/377%20710%201510%201823/1822/Metal%20Plumbing%20Fittings/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201510%201823&Ne=1822&Ntt=Metal%20Pl umbing%20Fittings&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page= CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11 &subdeptNum=70&classNum=217
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-13-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
If I were you I would just buy Duffy's system and then sell me one of the motors since I need one:-)
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       11-13-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
I wouldnt use the scoop style thru hull i have only seen problems with them in relation to ballast.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       11-13-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
I'm fairly certain 'ignition protected' has nothing to do with 'run dry'. Ignition protection basically means that it won't be a source of ignition (spark) if you were to put them in the bilge area that might have gas fumes lingering.

I wouldn't use scoop intake.

I've got a write-up to my system in the link in my profile.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-13-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
My stock through hulls have scoops, my Simers don't pass water when they are not running. They are also strong enough to pump back through the scoops if you are not going too fast. If you are starting from scratch don't use scoops.

You mentioned ignition protected system to protect your kids... Don't use Simers, they are not ignition protected. I don't have kids yet...
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-14-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
What i meant by ignition protected is, connected to the ignition switch. Meaning the key must be turned in order to operate. The Simers can produce a spark therefore cannot be mounted in the engine compartment, near the fuel tank, etc. Thanks for the info on the scoops i will use a mushroom type thruhull.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-14-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
I'm not sure what the point of wiring them into the ignition would be... you are just running them for a few minutes and they make aren't silent so it's not like you can forget them.... And you won't want to have your key turned on halfway all the time do you??? I don't get it I guess...

As for starving the motor IT DOESN"T HAPPEN!! Trust us. Unless you're doing more than a couple simer pumps, it just doesn't happen. The thru hull has a scoop and the intake pump is powerful. I have never seen my temp go up at all. Why drill holes through your hull when you simply don't need to???

Only changes I would make to my system would be to add overflows next year with above-water thruhulls (maybe two), and adding a second simer pump (to have one pump for each two bags).

Keep it simple!!! Many people WAAAY overdo these.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-14-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
I would run one or two pumps off the water intake. If more than that, I would put another through hull in. I orginally ran 3 off the intake and it would make the temp climb. I personally always run the ski locker sac off the water intake, then a new through hull for the rear sacs(believe me it's easy) I usually only fill and drain the ski locker sac once a day, so it sees limited use.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-14-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hi all, I would like sell everything extra I have, so there are three wired ballast switchs with a cutout panel they say fligh high on them and light up, three simmer pumps and a bunch of fittings and two different manifolds(one is copper-brass and the other is pvc) I have a lot copper valves, copper thread fitting etc. Everything looks very pro. I would say two hundred for everything plus 20 to ship. It's a great deal, I prob spent 600+ on everything. I would say its almost enough to do most of a 3 bag ballast install. I have installed 3 systems so let me know if you have any questions. Email me for pics
duffymahoney@hotmail.com
Duffy
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-16-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
You can run in and out from the bottom of the boat even underway. I used a strainer on the bottom of the boat. If you can do ignition protected do it. I did not and they get turned on occasionally. In 6 yrs I have only replaced one impeller and that was because it came from factory with out a piece of metal on the outside of the housing. The overflow would be nice but is not necessary if you watch the bags.
Old     (sacwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-17-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Thanks. My only concern with the overflow is that the bags won't get completely full - probably a non issue, I just want all the weight i can get out of my sacs.