Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-01-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
http://wake.com.au/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27756&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Aussie ingenuity at work! These guys have built their own system 2.0 type 2 cable system from scratch, check out the link for more details. But very impressive work, imagine that in your back yard

(Message edited by cheesydog on February 01, 2010)
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-01-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
pics

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
That is awesome. Did they put any specs on the site?
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-01-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
Thank god someone has finally done this, this is going to give so many inspiration to try to build their own!
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-02-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
looks like they also made their own handle
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-02-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
BrillianT!
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
So the link takes you to the disclamer page and i agreed, i then got to the home page and could not find squat? what is the thread name for wake.com.au? and is it in the cable section?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
It's under cable boarding, and the threads title is, So excited A cable for christmas!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
agree to the disclaimer and then click the link again, that should work too
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-02-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
few more pics if ur having trouble with the link

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (lowmax)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-08-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Hey guys,I was the guy who built this cable.It started out as a small winch idea that grew into something far larger than we expected. It has taken just over a year to finish it but it is defnitly worth it ,NOW. The biggest hurdle is the engineering as to get the towers to the height we wanted 7.1 metres created most of our problems but the time spent has paid off.We have also included a counter weight system to allow better tention,this coupled with the height makes is a joy to ride as well as ease to learn water tricks ,thanks for the well wishes and any one who needs any info please just ask.Steve..
Old     (aussie_stu)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-08-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
steve, get off the confuser and finish the thing, so we can hit it bro yyyeeewwwww
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
i have a question. how much would it cost for me to build one like that?
Old     (lowmax)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-10-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Not sure how much it would cost in the US I'm sure material cost would be completely different to Australia,but probably find most of the costing was in building jigs for building the towers and soft ware for running the system.In saying this its not impossible for anyone to build but just watch out for a few hidden costs that pop up.We are looking at the prospect of building a couple of these for a few friends which should be quite a bit cheaper having built the jigs and software so I will keep you updated but as I see it around 30,000 dollars australian should be enough to get one running in your own back yard.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
$26,704.33 (US) if i did that right
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
might as well just by the system 2 its right around the same price
Old     (lowmax)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-11-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
In Aus I think there is a fair wait for any overseas products plus additional freight charges,so that was the first reason to try building it ourselves we also wanted something a little different,our criteria was a counter weight system for a sharper response for the rider as well as heaver cabling to allow us to increased cable length to achieve maximum potential. Again engineering played a major part of the costing so if someone was to build without this part of the process costing could be substantially reduced.Although safety issues may arise from those decisions.
Old     (torontothunder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-11-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
What city is this in?
Old     (lowmax)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-11-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
we live on the Sunshinecoast in Australia.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-11-2010, 11:28 PM Reply   
I spoke with an engineer friend that have been looking to build a 2.0 for quiet a long time and he told me that it would cost WAY less than 26k us$.He's was more thinking about 8-9 k $..
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-12-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
Steve: Congrats on a sweet set up. There is so much trial and error involved in getting something like this to work well. How about sharing a couple more thoughts on what you learned for anyone thinking of trying something similar.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-12-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
8-9k? how much for the bro in a box?

if the price is true and the designs legit, i'd imagine the right engineer could charge a few hundred bucks for plans.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-12-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
WOAH if you put one together for 8-9k that's amazing the bro in a box is like $65K System 2.0 is starts at around $35K

Steve would you be willing to sell your specs on this???
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-12-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
WOAH if you put one together for 8-9k that's amazing the bro in a box is like $65K System 2.0 is starts at around $35K

Steve would you be willing to sell your specs on this???
Old     (lowmax)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-12-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I thought 8 to 9 K is what it was going to take to build it in the first place but now laugh at my self for thinking that, considering the drive unit itself was just over 3k and I would get your engineer friend to his money where his mouth is and get him to foot the bill for anything over maybe 10k and I reccon you will end up with the sweetist deal Pierre.Andy,We are considering a few possibilities at the moment,one of which includes your suggestion but we have a couple of minor things to sort out first,ie.perfect counter weights and timing etc.I also have a couple of friends who have helped me with this so I need to run it past them as well but please keep in touch,as it is our goal to get as many people as possible into wakeskating and wakeboarding.The best sport in the world..
Old     (lowmax)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-24-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
I can tell you one thing ,once you have built 1 of these you'll never believe how many friends you have.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-26-2010, 6:46 AM Reply   
Yeah steve my friend said about 8-9k but he might be wrong, he might recalculate it..
And I was wondering about how long is your pond? I got a 60-70 meters pond do you think it would be enough?
thanks
Old     (lowmax)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-19-2010, 11:41 PM Reply   
Hey Piere,
just wondering how your friend was progressing with your building of your liner cable,we have just about finished ours now, complete with active dynamic computer logic assistance, custom built for our own aplication so I am eager to see whether some one can build it cheeper.I thought we could do it cheeper but hidden little things kept sneeking in but we do have a cable that rides almost the same as our local cable at Bli Bli, tenson wise that is and does not cable whip you when you do railies or drag you off on longer obsticles due to the counter weight. all in all we are pretty dam stoked! Anyone who ventures to Australia drop me a message and come and have a ride Ozzie style!! be glad to show our efforts.