Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (skibumdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-11-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
My son wants to do a Raley . How does he prepare for this? Do you just go for it and hope it works out? That scares me. I heard of a guy crashing a Raly and busting his sternum.
How do you do it?
Old     (pucktowake)      Join Date: May 2007       09-11-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
Try on the wakeskate first. There was a big article in wakeboarding magazine the one that just came out it was all about not getting hurt while trying to learn them. Have him practice switching edges at the top of the wake. Some fashion air just to get the feel for it.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-11-2009, 9:06 PM Reply   
You could always try the surface raley first. Just dig in your toe edge while cutting behind the boat heelside. I used to do those all the time.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
Buy Detention 2012 for him.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on September 11, 2009)
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-12-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
Take some huge HS jumps into the flats, then just ball up and throw it, worked for me. I started out thorwing them, letting go, and diving in every now and then until I had the balls to bring them back in. My main thing is focusing on putting even weight on both feet, release from the wake letting the board out behind you, then IMMEADEATLY look at the boat, It won't be for long, but it's very important. Spot your landing and bring the board back under you. It's honestly a lot easier than it looks, just takes some nuts.
Old     (skibumdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-16-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
I guess there is no easing into it.
Can you practice on a trampoline?
I also want to do it and I am 47.
I'm afraid i will break my body.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-16-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
I'm not sure what your skill level is, but you have to be good at holding a good hard edge all the way into the wake first. You really have to just go for it...don't let go of the handle unless you know for sure you're going to eat. It will be a natural reaction to bring your legs back under you. Raley's are scary to learn, but once you got it, it's definitely one of the easiest tricks to do. I think it's easier than a wake 2 wake, but I don't ride boat that much
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-16-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
Easiest trick in the world but takes 100% commitment which is the hard part.

The way I learned without taking any hard falls was by trying it short rope. So we slow the boat down to around 18-19 mph and shorten the rope to about 45-50 feet. No ballast. The wake is soft but really big. This lets anyone learn almost any trick but the falls are a lot softer since the speed is so much slower. Cut out toeside as far as you can. To learn I started with a progressive edge with a straight leg approach with very little bend in my knees. By the time I am coming to the trough I am leaning against the rope and on the gas 100%. Hold this edge all the way to the top of the wake. Your edge will release making the board go up and behind you. Very very important..keep your head up looking at the top of the tower. I had a hard time doing this so my friend held up some fingers and I had to tell him how many he was holding up. Good way to make someone look at the boat. You will feel a slight tug, at this point pull the handle down towards your lead hip. This will happen a little faster since the rope is short but it is very easy to pull it back down if the edge is done properly. You will know when u do a raley right and get all the pop by cutting all the way through the wake. Once you can land this five time in a row without a bobble take it to the long rope. Use the same exact technique but u will be traveling faster and have a lot more time in the air. Just commit. Muscle memory by doing many short rope will make it easy to land them on the long rope.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-16-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
ok so at what point are we looking at the tower. cause if i do a big wake jump out into the flats usually i am looking at the shore on the other side....
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-17-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
As soon as I release off the wake, I'm looking at the boat, keeps you from stargazing (which I have a real problem with), then spot your landing when you feel the pull mark talked about, if you have it in your head you're going to pull it back down, you will. I haven't caught an edge yet on this, but rather tend to pull it back too far and butt check
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       09-17-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
It has also helped me to pull the handle down to my knees. This brings your feet under you quicker. The worst thing is the crash is a lot worse when you start bringing them down until you get your feet under you then they don't hurt. Good luck.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-17-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Lets see video of the attempts! >:-)
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-17-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
Hey Mark, nice looking Xstar. I like your shorter slower suggestion. Definitely doesn't hurt as much to fall at 19 as at 23. That said, 2 of the top three falls behind my boat have been on Raley attempts. Third one I don't remember but I hear it was an ollie 90 :>)
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-17-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
Video? I'll get you some! Sounds like something we need to try for the hell of it! I want to try a few backrolls and the ole' toeside w2w too!
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-19-2009, 10:38 PM Reply   
+1 on wakeskate. Its good watching too.