Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Epic Fail

Last month I saw a pic of a WW member riding a small child on his board. The kiddo was standing on the board between the bindings and holding the handle along with (dad). I can no longer find this picture.

So I thought this was a great idea and attempted it yesterday with my youngest son. He weighs in at around 50 lbs and is plenty strong. In reality Ian should just just strap in and learn like his big brother did but his little sister saw the picture and also wants to ride with Dad.
She is only 4 and a good swimmer but not ready to board on her own and I would love to take her for a cruise.

Yesterday I had Ian sitting on my lap in the start position, feet spread out and centered on the board and holding the rope with me. We tucked up as close as we could and yelled hit it.

That is when the drowning started.

I couldn't get the darn board up on top and eventually lost the handle. Tried it twice with no love and Poor Ian got half the GOM up his nose. My fore arms are screaming today from trying to hold on.

Is my 138 Transcend maxed out?> I weigh 165 and he is 50. I have a Pure 142 I can try.

There has to be a trick. I'm a pretty strong guy in very good shape and I didn't even get close. Please help me find a WW member who has done this with success. Help in any form is appreciated.

My deepest thanks,
John
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-19-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
I don't know what to tell you, you described exactly what i've done, and I've never had any trouble. you have the board up on top of the water right?

I guess I almost tuck my arms up under their shoulders so I'm sort of lifting them up when I come up, and also stay crouching extra long. There should be little to no pull on them.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Thank you A-Dub, you wouldn't perhaps have any video would you?
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-19-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have done it a few times with friends kids with no problem. I found it easier for the kid to hold onto my legs instead of the handle. Don't know what would cause the board to sink so much that it would drag that bad. Did the boat driver try to pull the two of you up slower than normal? The drag was a little more with the kids but not so much that I couldn't muscle it up.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
The driver was green to say the least. When just pulling me he went up reeeeeaaaallllll sloooowwwwww then when trying to double he nailed the throttle pretty hard. Maybe I'll try a better driver next time.

The bitch about living here is that you cant swing a dead rat without hitting a paper captain but when you need a boat driver nobody is ever around.

Hands on the legs is a good idea, Maybe I was dipping the board at launch without knowing it. Sounds reasonable. New driver and a bigger board.

Keep it comming.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-19-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
no, no video sorry. As bad as it may sound, I think you also kind of squeeze with your legs to help with the support, and really have them braced into you. Also I'm similar size to you and my 137 did fine. Hold the handle in, so it's basically in the kid's chest. Maybe troll a little so you get the feeling and can get the board situated as well as your child. If you're getting pulled over the front, stiffen your back and come more up with it than towards the boat. With the extra drag, it'll take extra time for every step of getting up normal
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-19-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
i almost think we go slower than normal, first reason being safety. Takes twice as much muscle though.

The child should not be doing any work, it's all on you.

Also, once you do this, the most important thing in my mind is shutting it down. We count 1-2-3 and then let go at the same time, and I practically hold on to them so they don't slip off, or fall in front of me or anything. I can see the most potential for danger in shutting it down, other than jumping the wake of course. Make sure the child bends their knees a bit too, just so they can handle the vibrations of the board
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
Thanks again A-dub. Poor Ian got a ton of sea water up his nose but is ready to try again. I need to perfect it with hime before I ever try with his little sister. And I dont plan on even leaving the wake, let alone jumping it.. I'll whistle up JR for next week to drive for me.

I'll read this thread with Ian as we get closer so we both know our roles better.

Sure wish there was some video or a pic sequence someplace.

gentelmen, thank you.
John
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-19-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
You're doing it wrong! You don't start with the kid standing on the board and he/she doesn't hold the handle. The child simply puts his/her arms over each of yours and wraps them around to hold on, so they are hanging from their armpits. That way, you don't have to do anything different when you start and your kid just hangs there. Once you're up, you bend down low enough for him/her to stand on the board and he/she holds onto your legs.

Name:  IMG_3941.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3942.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3943.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3944.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3945.jpg
Views: 4391
Size:  60.7 KB
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-19-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
what he said

they switch from your arms to your legs once you are up and they have set their feet on your board

before you it you will be doing wake jumps and butter 180s
Attached Images

Last edited by slipknot; 04-19-2010 at 9:00 AM.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
Yeah!!!! there we go.

In the first plate it looks as though the board is almost pinted at the boat, not sideways. Do you alter the start position any? I normally start dead flat but maybe I should agle the board over a smiddgen?

Thanks Dave
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-19-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
I have done this with no problem as well. I had my daughter with her feet on the board and holding my knees. One thing I know that I did different that normal was turn the board sooner. Not sure if that was on purpose or a reaction for trying to reach down and hold my daughter,......dad's you know how it is.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-19-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
My buddy and little Matt say: "YOU CAN DO IT!"

I'm the one driving when this is going on, so I can't speak to the in the water, but as a driver, I slow down the take off ALOT, and run the pretty slow, around 17 or 18 for the first while until everything gets dialed in, but even after that, I don't go more than 20.

I'm sure you'll get it dialed! Everybody above seems to have the out of the water dialed right in.
Attached Images

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-19-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
I agree with Dave, I have had no issues with small kids. The harderst kids are the taller ones. I had a the board sinking issue with the kids that put their feet on the board. The largest kid I rode on my board was 4'6" about 70 lbs. That was really hard. kids less the 40" are really easy. I once rode 8 different kids in one set this last summer. By the way I am 5'7" 145lbs on a 134 trip. Anyway good luck.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-19-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
I took my 10 year old cousin who probably weighs at least 80 lbs and had him stand on the board on start up and i dont remember if i had him hold the handle on start up or me, but while sitting in the water i just made sure to lean back enough to keep the board up and although it was tougher on the muscles, it wasnt difficult to get up. My face was barely out of the water while waiting to get up but it probably would have helped to have a CGA vest that floats normally.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-19-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
I had my daughter face me with her arms around me to get started, then once I was up I turned her around, lowered her feet to the board and held her with one hand so she wouldn't slip off.

Name:  DSC02215.JPG
Views: 1318
Size:  106.3 KB
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-19-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
I just get up normal, which might be pointed forward a little. I never really noticed. Might be the water skier from my past coming out!

I don't want my kid to feel the wrath of 200 lbs. on their faceplant, so I steer away from the toeside butterslide. I'm a heelside man...

Name:  IMG_3977.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  86.5 KB

Can't say he isn't having fun!!

Name:  IMG_4000.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  75.5 KB
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-19-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Here are the only two pics I have at work riding with kids.
Attached Images

Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-19-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
I would definitely recommend everyone wear an actual PFD for attempting this. I was using a comp vest and it was tough to balance myself in the water and keep water out of my daughter's face. The second time brought her boarding I wore a PFD and it was much much easier. Her first time was last summer, she was almost 3 years old and absolutely loved it.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
Thanks every one. I really appreciate the support. I read this thread to Ian after dinner tonight and his stoke is rekindled. We shall try again soon and pics will be forthcoming.

John
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
OK, who's the youngest here? My boy is 20mo and I'm dying to give this a try by the end of the summer (he turns 2 in Aug). He's a big kid though, 36" and 32lbs now. Too young? Should I wait another year?
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Amazing guys! I have a 8 and 6 year old along with a 4 and 2. None of them wakeboard yet. My hope was to get my 8 year old up and going this year on her own, but my 6 year old son not so sure of. He is really athletic so I know he can do it, but last year drank half the lake trying skiing first. So, how do I get him to try wakeboarding? Should I do this first? He is 6, about 45lbs I think. Should I try this? Is he too big? Also, should I buy a kids board for them? Sorry might be wrong thread for all those ?s but just started typing. Thanks
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
I don't think he's too big. I took my 5 year old last year out on the surfboard. He was at least 50 pounds. He had a blast. I think the surfboard would be a good way to introduce it to him, then move to a wakeboard.

Dang kid is over 62 pounds now and is only 6. Poor guy is going to be a monster.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Ryan, your boy is old enough once you feel cofident he can take a fall and keep his head above water so he can breath. That was how I made my decision.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-20-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
if you want an easier way to get up with a kid, try it sitting on a dock, if available, or even the platform of another boat. it makes it much easier than a deep water start. not talking about a dock start by any means, but just sitting with your board in the water so you on't have to be all the way in the water. it does help.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-22-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Dave, thanks for the reply. Most seem to be in the 3-6y/o range, except that lil one in your first pic. He appears to be about the same age as my boy. We're going to work with him in the water this summer so I'll just have to make a judgment call.