Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-30-2009, 3:39 PM Reply   
i put my new winch together today, and this one has a tav on it, i wrapped 80 feet of line on it just to see how hard it is to pull out, and what kind of pull it has while in idle.
well with he tav, it has a TON of resistance. so much that after walking 600 feet out, your going to be tired. ive felt other peoples, and they dont have nearly as much resistance as i do. anyone know why? is it just because its new?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-30-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       07-30-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
a couple different possibilities could be that its new and will loosen with use, the belt is on wrong, or the tav isn't installed correctly

got any pics without the tav cover on it?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-30-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
i know the belt is on right, i made sure the belt was facing the right way. and the tav is flush and i followed the directions for it. i was thinking it was because it was new, but thats why i asked. i was curious if it was normal when they are new. and i cant get the cover off without taking the motor off.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-30-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
i just went down stairs and showed my dad, and he says it only feels a little bit stiffer then the others weve seen. i guess i just thought it was alot more
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-30-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
start working out more
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
haha, thats funny
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Ok, where do you get all of the stuff to build one?? I want one, but I don't wanna pay the amounts they go for. What was your final price??
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
actually, i have alot more into mine then most people would, because we bought twice the metal we needed, and this is my second frame. i got the motor for like 270$ which is a great price, the tav is somewhere around 200$ the line is 100$ for 600 feet. plus the fairlead, axle, sprocket, the aluminum for the spool, the mounts for the sprocket and the spool, the chain, and the berrings, thats pretty much it, plus you need the tools to build it, and all the nuts and bolts,

if you really watch your money, and shop for prices you can build a really good one for about a $1000.

ive got some links that are still book marked that ill post here for you

http://www.tahitimx.com/winch/
http://www.briggsengineoutlet.com/150212-2560.aspx
http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9374#details

those are the main places, that line is really storng, and its the cheapest you will find winch line. i wouldnt get it anywhere else. and that motor is a 7.5HP and works well for a winch. and its the cheapest i have found it anywhere by over 100$

the other parts, you should check out different go kart supply sites, thats where i got my tav, the sprocket, and the chain.

also from 4wheelparts i got the fairlead for like 25$after shipping,

i wanted to buy one done, and my dad said he could build one for way cheaper. and after everything was ordered and i had all the parts, i realized i could have bought one that was already done. i wouldnt HIGHLY recomend finding ALL of your parts before you buy any, also, is it worth your time? ive got so many hours into welding and grinding that its rediculous
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-31-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
David--

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/721575.html?1249068200

Here's a link to my question.. Not sure if you have any insight on it or not.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
i posted on that thred saying why i dont think it will work
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-02-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
i put a pin in mine so i can take it out and not have to pull against the tav... ill try an find the pics of it...

drew it just depends on how you build the winch.. ive built 3 of them each for under 800$ .. and they all deep start my buddy who is 225lbs.... shoot me an email if you have any questions on building one!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-02-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
id love to see those pics, ive heard of the pin, but i dont know how it works.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       08-02-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
My bud had the same problem, there was so much tension on it pullin the rope out, so he did the pin as well so the reel would just spin freely here is a link to the pics, if it works. You can see that the plate that the sprocket attaches too is actually welded to a sleeve slightly bigger than the main "axle" that the reel is on...and then there is a whole drilled through that sleeve and the "axle" so when the pin is in, the entire thing spins, ad when the pin is out, the chain stays put while the reel spins freely, very smooth and worked GREAT at the rail jam a few months back. the only problem that was encountered was that the pin was too small and once a big guy got on and popped the handle it bent..it was easily fixed by drilling the whole a litle bigger and replacing it with a thicker stronger pin. hope this helps

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=130593&id=706380750&saved#/album.php?page=3&aid=130593&id=706380750
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-05-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
alright guys, so we took it out to the SF bay and rode for like 4 hours tonight, its to slow, i need to get a smaller sprocket. all full speed it unnly pulls at like 15. its got a 54 on the spool and a 10 on the tav. what do you guys recomend i go to?

and Austin watts came and rode a a few pulls behid it to, and his winch was in his truck. and his is less then half as hard to pull out, i wasnt crazy. mine is really really hard to. like to the point your tired after pulling 600 feet out. even austin said it was really hard to pull. any idea why? can i fix that without making a release spool?