Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    dodge            01-31-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
I have just bought a new malibu response LXI
Has very bad steering box rattle on take off and under load

has any one got any idea how to FIX ???
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-31-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
Check your prop or your rudder.... You might not see it, but might have a bit of unbalance or rudder wobble. I would put a different prop on and test it first and check your rudder.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
I have the same chatter, but it only happens when you're powering up in one direction. Could the prop cause that also?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-31-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Check your prop or your rudder.... You might not see it, but might have a bit of unbalance or rudder wobble. I would put a different prop on and test it first and check your rudder.
Yeah classic rudder shudder, I get a bit on my VTX when I take off in a turn
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-01-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Had a major problem with steering rattle during take off in my 05 LSV. It completely went away when I shattered the flexplate/damper plate while surfing one day. Unfortunately this was a big problem with 04/05 boats and is very costly. I don't know if other LXi owners have had that problem but I know the bigger boats running a lot of weight had flexplate issues. If the rudder and prop check out ok, see if you can check it out. Best way is to pull your starter and look for shards of metal in the bellhousing or in the starter itself. I went through 2 starters, both of which has large shards of metal inside, before the flexplate blew. Had I known what to look for, I could have saved myself some headache. The new flexplate and bellhousing fixed my steering rattle issue completely.