Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-23-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
I was looking for a commuter vehicle on craigslist so I could park the gas guzzling tow vehicle and ran across and add for a late model Camry for a great deal. Not a give away deal but a smoking one. Emailed the guy and this is what I got back.

Hello,

Sorry for the late response but I work in the US Air Force and it's very hard for me to reply faster. I wanted to let you know that the car is still available, i had a buyer but his loan did not get approved. If you are still interested please let me know asap, here is a link with more
photos: http://timangel33.faithweb.com/My-Toyota/?thumb=1
At this time the car is in Helena, MT with me and we can use the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection service to handle this deal if you're not able to come pick this up. Let me know if you have any questions, for some reasons your previous email did not load on my screen.

Thank you,
Tim Angel, TSgt, USAF

Was pretty sure at this point it was a scam but made sure and emailed him saying I could come pic it up. Never heard back so I emailed again to see if he could ship. Then of course I get his immediate response of:

Hi,

Here is how it works if you have never used eBay vehicle purchase protection program. You send me your full name and your shipping address so I can initiate the transaction on eBay.eBay contacts you with further details regarding the payment and shipping process.You submit the payment to eBay, eBay confirms the payment and asks me to release the shipment.I ship the car which should be at your door within the next 5 business days.You have a 3 days inspection period before you confirm the deal and eBay forwards the payment to me or you cancel the deal and you get your money back and return the vehicle free of charge. Basicaly ebay holds your money safe until you confirm that the car is what you have expected and you want to buy it. It is not a sight unseen deal. On the other hand I can ship the car nowing ebay has your money and you wont dissapear with my toyota. We are both covered.Sorry for the long emails I have tried to touch all bases.
Thank you,
Tim Angel,Tsgt,USAF

I have to admit the military thing was a nice touch.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-23-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Needless to say those little bastards are getting creative.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
he he he

So true.. I am selling my Tige 24Ve and posted on craigslist also.. However, I got the normal one that I'll pay full price but need your account number, routing number and bank name. :-)
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-23-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
should have told him you live in Helena MT
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-23-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
Some awful people live in this world
Old     (montana_sanger)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-24-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
I live in Helena, not to many palm trees around here. I'll have ebay contact you for payment RE my investigative services.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Whenever you get the email response and there's no punctuation or spacing after the period you know their scammers.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-24-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
The biggest give-away to me is the lack of a license plate as well as no DOD stickers on the windshield. Having been in the military myself those are absolute requirements to enter any military facility in the world.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       04-24-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
There's a dealership sticker in the window.

There is no Tim Angel listed in the USAF global email listing. If he's in the Air Force ask him for his military email address. That will show you where he is stationed, or prove him a liar.

There's only an Army National Guard post in Helena. The nearest Air units are 90 miles away at Malstrom AFB and the Montana Air National Guard.

if he was at either of these his address would be timothy.angel@malstrom.af.mil or timothy.angel@mtgrea.ang.af.mil

shoot him an email and see if it gets rejected.

(Message edited by bstroop on April 24, 2008)