Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-21-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
Boat stats
1992 prostar 205
ford 351 with high output heads,holly carb

The carb on my boat is leaking large amounts of gas. The gas is coming out from under the flame arrestor and in the aft 2 barrels of the carb.This is the best way i can describe it. The engine was running great, but when i put it on the trailer the bilge water had gas in it. Now i know i got very lucky. Do i need a new carb, rebuild or what? any advice would be appreciated.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
does it leak when running the boat?
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-21-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
yes the only time it leaks is when the boat is running
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
take it to a carb man and get it rebuilt. the kit is like 50 dollars at skidim.com.

You can also call Vince at skidim (discount inboard marine). They know their stuff and will talk to you about the problem and get you the right stuff.

I guess it is obvious that you got very lucky.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-21-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
you have a stuck needle and its spilling over. you can try tapping on needle and seat area to try and get it to clear but more likely have to have carb overhauled. please be careful it will start a fire!
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-21-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Here is a picture with the carb I believe is on the boat.There is a huge flow volume down by the arrow below the circular piece. Once again....I know how lucky I was. thanks for the advice

Kevin, can u point out the needle and seat area on the picture?

How hard is it to rebuild yourself, and is it worth it?Upload
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-21-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
A new needle and seat ass. will usually come with the rebuild kit. The modle # should be on the choke horn if your gonna order a kit you'll need to right that down. Really if you dont have experiance with rebuilding a carb id either have it professionally rebuilt or just get a new one. Like Kevin said its not something you want to mess with, too much to go wrong. It looks like a typical holley 600 vacume secondary carb, usually only a couple hundred to replace.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-21-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
Dude, I loved you as The Fly! ;)

The float and needle valve are inside the bowl, in the black cloud:

bowl

The float might just be stuck, and might break loose if you bang on it with a screwdriver handle, but it's probably time for a carb rebuild anyway if it's never been done.

If one can change ones oil and winterize ones boat confidently, I think one can rebuild a carb. It's all about taking your time, keeping the parts organized, and having and following a good set of instructions.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-21-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
trace thanks, I was at a wakeboard competition this weekend and was riding right after a Will Smith.true story

I'm gonna call up Skidim.com in the morning and ask them too. I'm at school with minimal tools, so i am leaning towards a new carb. I am confident i could rebuild it but well see.

two questions for you all
1) how much would a new holly 600 run?
2) we have a dead 350 in a Malibu at school with a holly 4 barrel on it. this carb was just rebuilt, is it possible to use this carb? I know a 350 and a 351 are completely different but are all holly marine carbs the same

Thanks for the advice, trying to take a crash course in carbs.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
yes I guess a Carb swap could work
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-22-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
If the flange matches and the fuel line hooks up, that Malibu carb should work fine. I think a new one is around 3 bills.