Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old    star_star            04-21-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I like the look of the Mastercraft cans made for Mastercraft by Gere marie. I want to remove the 7.7" JL speakers and put the Bullet 7.7" speakers in the cans. Has anyone does this and can comment on how the bullet 7.7" HCLD speakers sound? I know i could put Wetsounds or NVS on the tower but i am trying to save the cans i already have. I actually like the look of the Gere Marie/Mastercraft cans better. I have been told that the Bullet speakers fit perfectly in the MC cans and sound much better. The Bullet speakers are not cheap and for a little more i can just get Wetsounds but again i like the look of the MC cans better than anything out there. If anyone out there has any input please give me a shout. Thanks in advance.
Old     (craigw3972)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
Ole Miss Rebels?
Old    star_star            04-21-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
busted
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-21-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
They should fit and sound great....
I believe that Bullet even lists the raw drivers on there site now.
Cheers
Scott
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2008, 11:25 PM Reply   
Star - The Bullets will work in depth and mounting hole diameter but your cans will need 4 new holes for the screw pattern of the Bullets. The Hollow Points mount with 4 screws vs 6 screws for the JL 7.7. This is a very simple procedure and you will be More than happy with the performance of the Hollow Points over the JLs.

Notice the different pattern of the screws:

Upload

Upload

The Hollow Point 770 Retrofit kit should be your most economical option if you already have the OE cans. The alternative is going with the MC mount option (what year do you have?) and going with new cans:

Upload
Old    star_star            04-22-2008, 6:16 AM Reply   
thanks, ben. i was hoping you would contribute. i have the 2005 cans on my 2008 tower. i had to buy the adapter kit to convert the '05 cans to the newer 08 tower mounts. that being said, and i am sure you know this, the '05 and '08 cans are the same other than the way they mount to the tower (at least i can't see a difference). there seems to be an issue with the grills as well as the speaker itself. Heimi at Bullet said he would pre-drill the speakers for me but that i would have to drill the cans to mount the grills. does that make sense to you. i didn't understand what he was trying to tell me and didn't want to keep him on the phone too long. thanks, stephen
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-22-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
Stephen - From what I can imagine I guess there are two options for mounting the speakers.

1. Drill the grills and basket of the Hollow Points to match the 6 screw JL configuration

2. Drill the MC cans to match the 4 screw pattern of the Hollow Points.

I would choose to drill the MC cans so you don't disturb the great looks of the HP grills. To do this take the tower pods down to predrill so you don't end up with aluminum shavings in the boat. Use one of the Hollow Point grills for a template and mark the holes before you take the pods off. Since the 08 tower "puck" mounts are not all level (^^see picture above^^) you will end up with level grills if you mark before you take them down. Be sure to mark left and right speakers so they end up in the same spot as when you marked them.
I think I was at Jaime's yesterday when you called or it was another guy with the same questions. He had me bugging him at the same time with an emergency run for clamps and other calls when everyone else was on lunch break.
Since you are talking about 05 cans are they 6.5" or 7.7". I believe that most in 05 if not all were 6.5 but I could be wrong on this. I hope this helps you out. You can call or E-mail me anytime too.