Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-18-2003, 10:06 PM Reply   
Where is the best place to ground accessories on a boat?
Old     (ocrider)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-18-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
Depends, but the easiest place is the battery if you are thinking stereo equipment.

Ryan
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-18-2003, 10:35 PM Reply   
I'm just adding a 12V outlet for cell phone charger and and for the fat sack pump. I'd really not want to have to run all the way to the bat. Can you tap into where the amp ground wire hooks to the amp? I'm hesitant to tap into anything like that???
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2003, 11:41 PM Reply   
you would take a big risk on running engine, and other noises back into the amp
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2003, 12:16 AM Reply   
how about a terminal block under your dash, if there is one use it, there has to be some sort of power tap at the dash for the lights and switches
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
If was just the cell phone charger, I would say tap in anywhere you can get the connection.

The fat sack pump is going to draw a fair amount of current so you have to be a little more careful. If you don't mind the stereo having difficulty pounding out the bass while you are filling the fat sack, then it probably won't be a problem to tap in there.

A word of caution, however. Eventually someone may want to plug in a 1,000,000 candle power spot light, which draws LOTS of current. I suggest wiring the outlet for the worst possible situation, and run heavy guage wire to a point that can handle to load, either the engine or the battery direct.

You mentioned only the negative side, where are you grabbing positive from? Again, I suggest going back to either the starter or directly to the battery, with a fuse or circuit breaker installed. The last thing you want to do is fry your electrical system to the dash late some night......
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2003, 5:14 PM Reply   
Thanks Rod....that is great advise! I hadn't thought about that 1,000,000 candle watt spot light under my bow seat! I guess i'll just go all out and run to the battery. I wanted the lazy man way out...but I guess I'll have to buck up. I definitely wouldn't want to fry everything at night..the worst possible time. Especially out on the delta!

I was planning on running the positive wire to the one of the 2 unused Accessory switches on the dash. That way it would be totally off unless you turned it on there. It is a bit confusing on those though...there are several wires coming out from the back of each switch. Hence my other post for mechanic books for a '90 sport nautique!

Also, what gauge of wire would be appropriate?

Thanks everyone!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2003, 2:00 AM Reply   
in west marines catalog near the wire is a guide for the gauge depending on the length of run and amps your expecting to use, i looked on their web site but couldnt find it
Old    6more            06-20-2003, 5:41 AM Reply   
Levi - I think using the switch for the 12v outlet is probably a little over kill. It won't draw any power unless something is plugged into it. Besides, you'll probably add something else in the future and want another switch. I've found you never seem to have enough switches!
Old    skihardkore            06-20-2003, 1:07 PM Reply   
Look for somthing like this under or near your dash.